This will probably be more relevant to the boarders here... but how many of you ride, or have tried riding, with some kind of music (headphones)? I just started listening while riding recently, and it's much better than listening to the garbage j-pop most resorts play all day. It gets me pretty pumped when riding, but I think it's probably best for riding alone...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only reason I said boarders is because i've seen lots of boarders with phones before, but I can't say i've ever seen a skiier with them.... no offense! ;\) I'd like to hear skiiers opinions too.

I see what you're saying about hearing the swish, but for a change, music helped get me pumped enough to push it a little more... i dunno

if Im going to be out by myself and its not crowded and not going to be falling all the time esp falling in powder I take my MD player. Just to spice things up and make the lift rides a bit more enjoyable - and Im a skier

Nope....I like to get away from it all in the mountains....clean air....silence (therefore I absolutely despise the resorts that play garbage music over the P.A speakers)

On a quiet weekday its nice to be sitting alone on a chair, soaking up the splendour of nature, deep in your own thoughts. I do some of my best thinking, deep contemplation sitting on lift chairs.

idea.gif

Generally only when I'm riding alone. Its too much of a hassle otherwise. I like a bit of retro Aussie music like Hunters & Collectors and a bit of Midnight Oil but the odd bit of J-Pop is good and of course Shakira (spanish version). Recently, I've found it does tend to be a bit of a distraction so I find I'm more inclined to turn it off while riding hard or under the ropes.

My jacket happens to have a special MD player holder which seems to keep it pretty dry and safe - its also a good indicator of how hard the crash was if the music stops.

I'm considering getting the stereo backpack by K2; has little external speakers built into it so you can hear both your tunes AND the sound of swooshing powder enveloping your lower thighs.

Could be fun rocking it out on the lift too.

J-Pop No More

Those speaker backpacks sound aweful. Could you imagine 100's of those things on the slopes?? I doubt there would be that many on the slopes at one time, but i hate listening to one channel of shit music so why would i want to less to several? You would annoy a lot of people i would suspect.

Just my 2cents.

Yeah, I have the exact same concern, but my understanding is the music is not amplified loud enough to be heard outside of your immediate vicinity (if I can believe the advertising, anyway). Certainly, if everyone had them and was listening to different music, the resulting din would drive everyone mad.

I'm going to check out the "annoyance" factor before purchasing. I'll let you know how it sounds. Of course, I would not buy it if it's going to infringe on others' enjoyment of the mountain. Not to worry on that front.

I'd say that if the music is only loud enough to hear in your vicinity then you wouldn't hear it much when you are flying down the mountain. Or would you? I don't think you would.

I'll be interested to see what type of sound quality it produces.

cheers

I'll let you know after testing it at the store. I plan to bring a bag of white flour and ask the salesperson to sprinkle it in my face while listening to the speakers (to simulate powder).

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first pieces of advice I received after only skiing a few times was from a boarder friend who said you have to listen to everything around you. Don't rely on someone calling out a warning to you, coz they probably won't. He said tune into the voices, snow sounds etc. So I've always done that. Plus the quiet sounds of nature also appeal. I've been tempted to listen to music, but it kinda goes against my already learnt grain.

Qu: - Do headphones and the like block out

essential noise?

- Do they distract you from focussing esp.

on crowded days?

Thanks. confused.gif

What scouser? Do you enjoy sitting on a lift by yourself for a few hours? A few sounds just makes the lift time pass quicker and keeps me psyched when I dont have a riding buddy to talk about the mtn with. Is that what you meant?