Does seem to get the headlines doesnt it.

I'd be more interested to hear if they made the stuff delish rather than cut 20 yen pff the price of a bowl of rice with fatty.crappy meat on top.

I have only had that twice.

Once was after a night out and I remember scoffing it down quite happily.

The next time was stone cold sober. I haven't been back again!

It's never a first choice kind of place, that's for sure.

But yeah a few times a year it becomes this big item on the evening/morning news programs which is curious.

I had a great gyudon teishoku at a Japanese restaurant in edinburgh. They used actual bits of steak/beef, kinda like カルビ (from a yaki niku) in a sweet sauce on top of rice.....beautiful! Matsuya and Yoshinoya stuff it wasn't, although I did used to eat that quite a lot for lunch when I first came over

Ive eaten it a few times when I couldn't get anything else, but don't like it much because of the crappy fatty meat that they slop on top.

Most Japanese men love it though........

As far as the price changes being shown of TV, it is because Gyudon is a very popular quick eat dish that was made popular by places such as Yoshinoya.

To the Japanese I guess it is a bit like us with fish and chips in the UK.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
I have only had that twice.

Once was after a night out and I remember scoffing it down quite happily.

The next time was stone cold sober. I haven't been back again!

I decided to give it another go.
Wasn't that bad, but it sure wasn't brilliant either.

There's a telly shopping piece for one of those chains that have come up with a home version in packets. God it looks bloody awful. Of course the dudes on the ad are going all ott oishii over it. Quite funny actually

Food shows in Japan...gotta love em.. lol

My wife is dying to go live in Canada. I made her a deal. If any TV personality ever says anything other than the obligatory "Oishi...Umai....Umayyye...Mayu...etc" I will move back to Canada immediately. That deal was struck ten years ago. groovy

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I don't mind it sukiyaki style with a raw egg over the top and chili pepper. A bit dry/boring otherwise.

yeah I usually splash a bit of Yaki niku sauce over it to give it some decent flavour