Originally Posted By: rider69
The forecast for all of Japan is pretty much sunny until Wednesday.
The conditions were pretty good over the weekend but man was it busy! Great to see Hakuba actually making some money. The Japanese were out in full force for sure. Got the kids skiing yesterday the 2 year old boy can go down the baby slope so stoked made my weekend to see his big smile. The Happo tube park was f@@king awesome yesterday and there was carnage! Bloody well caught air in the tube so fun.

On Saturday I rolled the dice on a solo tour and just avoided avlanche city by about 20 minutes. I had a great line of ankle deep pow for 1000 meters vert then 500 meters of just perfect wet snow freshies. My timing was very lucky indeed. Climbed 800meters vertical total on the day. The bad news was that I got to witness the maddness that became of Mumezawa as people skied under cornices and on convexes. Lord f@@k a duck people learn about terrain and how it can effect your lines. Full on spider web fractures 20cms deep taking people for some wild rides!

VeryNice keep your fingers crossed it will return to winter soon or so the forecast says. If you can get over to Tsugaike great groomers or Cortina for the onsen and pizza. Or try kashimayari for great views and nice groomers.

My kid loves that tube park. We usually stay at Sakka lodge which is right in front of the kids zone. I know what you mean by catching air...I swear one of these times we are going to go over that wall on the bottom turn... lol We will be up next weekend staying at Gakuto Villas and I wouldn't mind taking a day at Tsugaike or Cortina for something different.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gakuto wow someone is doing well for themselves. Also the happo ski school for kids is great full day lessons for 6000 yen.

They set up a jump at the bottom of the tube park man that was crazy. Watched a kid do a full front flip after getting clipped.

Originally Posted By: rider69
Gakuto wow someone is doing well for themselves. Also the happo ski school for kids is great full day lessons for 6000 yen.

They set up a jump at the bottom of the tube park man that was crazy. Watched a kid do a full front flip after getting clipped.

Psssst.....Gakuto was an SJ give away a while back....guess who was lucky?? wave...so at least in that respect I am doing pretty well. wink

The speed of that tubing course is all over the place with the conditions. Its really funny. One of our mates reckons he cracked a rib on it, ironically after telling my missus it was a "slow day".

On another deceptively fast day, my two-year-old managed to drive one of the steering wheel sledges straight through a protective fence at the bottom. He stopped by crashing into a plastic panda.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
This thread needs to perhaps be re-named Sun Sun Go Away!

lol

On some other forums the OP can change the title. If I could I would have done it a few days ago..

Hey SJ....a little help??

A few signs of spring here.

The road behind where I live is not cleared of snow during winter and so it piles up to 2+m. Yesterday they seem to have gone down the road moving all the snow, something they do when spring is nearly with us.

And the birds are shouting their heads off busy busy.

I like sunny days, but enough is enough for the moment, winter mode come back please!

smile

Snow expected tonight and tomorrow it says moderate so hopefully..? fingers crossed!! Its hard when your GF is just starting and you spend half your day or more on the beginner slopes.. Wish I could have had one of those couples trips where the boys could head off and have fun on the slopes and leave the girls to hang out and read mags if they get tired of trying... oh well.

Anyway, if anyone in Niseko is in the same situation let me know maybe we can go ride and the Girls can hang out..

Word of advice though stay away from the ski school at the bottom of the family run in Hirafu, the wana charge 19000ï¿¥ for a private lesson, when the private lesson through the company next to the welcome centre only charge 15000ï¿¥, both english and neither is better than the other. I suspect the price difference is cause they are situated right next to the Vale, good one!

Oh and I wanted to hire some skis for an hour or so just to try it as I never skied before, no intention of learning in that time space obviously but just for fun, as thats what the girl is doing and was like 6pm and they had heaps of skis down at that ski hire at the bottom of Hirafu fmily run and they\re like sorry we only hire for a whole day. Seriously if that was my business that dude would have been sacked! its not like I wanted to do it first thing in the morning and there was like 100 ppl lining up to hire skis and they only had a few. Anyway just saying, thats what I think anyway.

Quote:
Oh and I wanted to hire some skis for an hour or so just to try it as I never skied before, no intention of learning in that time space obviously but just for fun, as thats what the girl is doing and was like 6pm and they had heaps of skis down at that ski hire at the bottom of Hirafu fmily run and they\re like sorry we only hire for a whole day. Seriously if that was my business that dude would have been sacked! its not like I wanted to do it first thing in the morning and there was like 100 ppl lining up to hire skis and they only had a few. Anyway just saying, thats what I think anyway.

lol This is Japan, and in Japan the rules come before everything including; common sense, practicality, principles, morals, profit and customer relations. It drives you mad at times...

Ok so I guess I copped it after that post but I`m a board rider who has their own board and 'never' had to ask about rentals for either board or ski so how would I know that's the norm in Japan or anywhere.. Oh and if it is that's just crap!

This is my second trip to Japan TB.

PP, I couldn't care less what girl does if we had a powder day I'm gone.. I know what your saying bout the rental place, I never had a go at the kids there, just thinking to myself how unbelievable. Someones offering to pay you money and you turn them away, great business practice that.

Chriselle, I thought of that but it's such a waste to spend money on skis, which I have no interest. rather demo a new burton, like I did when I was in Vail two weeks ago and end up buying a new custom flying V. If anyone's interested this board is sweet!

PP, Yeah Ive always wanted to ride one of those boards, no doubt I will if we have a pow day. does anyone know where to buy these online? Good ones at that.. Might get one next NZ heli trip.

TB, I'll add that to the very very, small list of things i dont like about Japan... the other thing on that list is when they crank up the speakers beyond recognition through distortion on the ski lifts, so both japanese and english transmissions are inaudible. this doesnt happen everywhere mind you but cant think of anywhere else that utilize their PA system so much.