Goodness me... so you are looking for on piste powder then? Do you realize how rare of an occurrence that is anywhere in Japan? I wasn't out there this weekend so can't really comment but the groomed runs at the top of Happo on the skiers right are some of the best groomers I've seen. The problem at Happo is that it's mogul paradise and when those get icy they are super nasty. There are some really nice long groomed runs over at Tsugaike too...

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for! Just don't set your expectations so high thinking that you'll be getting on piste powder everyday and maybe you won't be so disappointed next time!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I know but seriously you can go heli in NZ for $80 AUD a run and get fresh lines every time, I've had waist deep pow there before. Backcountry= very good but also equals no heli which = lots of walking... hmmm. $450 I duno, anyway you should you head down to NZ go methven heli in methven NZ, if you got the time you should definitely check it out, best heli in NZ hands down!!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Goodness me... so you are looking for on piste powder then? Do you realize how rare of an occurrence that is anywhere in Japan? I wasn't out there this weekend so can't really comment but the groomed runs at the top of Happo on the skiers right are some of the best groomers I've seen.

That has confused me a lot.

After a decent snowfall, groomers are pretty much EVERYWHERE at most Japanese resorts I have been to are good.

The problem seems to be that there ain't a deep layer of fresh snow since VeryNice has been here. And conditions on the resorts hasn't been particularly great. (Correct, VeryNice?)

I know that anything 'Hakuba is less than perfect' seems to be some kind of bizarre blindspot in some people's minds, but is that hard to understand or something?

About Happo, the few times I have been there is has been pretty chopped up and moguls all over the place, not my favourite kind of runs.

But most of the skijo round here do good work on keeping the groomers in good condition. Like I said in another thread, conditions were pretty decent today I thought.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Goodness me... so you are looking for on piste powder then? Do you realize how rare of an occurrence that is anywhere in Japan? I wasn't out there this weekend so can't really comment but the groomed runs at the top of Happo on the skiers right are some of the best groomers I've seen.

After a decent snowfall, groomers are pretty much EVERYWHERE at most Japanese resorts I have been to are good.

The problem seems to be that there ain't a deep layer of fresh snow since VeryNice has been here. And conditions on the resorts hasn't been particularly great. (Correct, VeryNice?)

I know that anything 'Hakuba is less than perfect' seems to be some kind of bizarre blindspot in some people's minds, but is that hard to understand or something?

Yes correct..

Would you give it a f*cking break BSIH. I have never ever EVER taken the position that Hakuba is the perfect place. In fact, I often criticized the unrealistic hype that goes on around the place. What I said about groomers could have applied to anywhere but VeryNice is in HAKUBA! I'm telling him which area I would go to if I were there under the same conditions. I could give VeryNice loads of good advice about resorts in Myoko Kogen but how is that going to help him if he is in Nagano? So your advice to VN would be what exactly? At least I was trying to be helpful.

Instead of making positive contributions you lurk around trying to bait people into useless arguments. You must be a sad sorry f*ck if you've never got anything good to say about the place you live.

Originally Posted By: VeryNice

Yes correct..

Black Mountain, seems VeryNice disagrees with you.
Seems like I understood what he was trying to get at.

I never said you were one with a Hakuba blackspot, if you re-read it was a general comment. You just seemed to take it that way for whatever reason.

And I thought you said that 'name calling' was 'pathetic'?

confused

You must be a sad sorry f*ck if you've never got anything good to say about the place you live.

I have many good things to say about where I live. But that doesn't mean that I need to list them with every post, especially when they aren't relevant.

confused

This 'instead of making positive contributions' line cracks me up every time. By that what people usually mean is 'I'd prefer you post things that were things I agree with'. Sorry if you don't.

For the record, here is your exact quote from another thread

Name calling is pretty pathetic.

Well, hurry up and get the **** out of there VeryNice. Looks like you've got one day left anywhere before the sun-pocalypse hits. Considering pretty much all the piste access terrain in Niseko is tracked out by lunch time you've probably only got about a half day left of powder. Save your time and money and just go back to Australia. The season is done.

Was this being particularly helpful?

It is pathetic and not really in my character to do such. But what's more pathetic is your attitude. You are a broken record. Negative, negative, negative. Again, I ask, what would your advice be? Pack it in and never come back?

Sorry for trying to offer you some advice to make the most of your stay VN. BSIH is right, you'd be much happy somewhere else.

I'm not negative at all. Just don't like what I see as bullshit.

If you see my posts today you'll see that I thought conditions were pretty good. I had a good day out there, on the resorts too.

Quote:
Again, I ask, what would your advice be? Pack it in and never come back?

No, my advice would be to stay, get out there and enjoy it. Even though he doesn't have those deep conditions we saw in the second half of January, it's certainly not that bad and the fine weather will make for some stunning places to be anyway.

This 'instead of making positive contributions' line cracks me up every time. By that what people usually mean is 'I'd prefer you post things that were things I agree with'. Sorry if you don't.

No. I love the fact that people disagree. The world would be a boring place otherwise. I meant what I said about being positive and I'll extend that to being helpful. But you aren't interested in that... it's kind of sad.
Well, hurry up and get the **** out of there VeryNice. Looks like you've got one day left anywhere before the sun-pocalypse hits. Considering pretty much all the piste access terrain in Niseko is tracked out by lunch time you've probably only got about a half day left of powder. Save your time and money and just go back to Australia. The season is done.

Yeah... I was encouraging him to get up there quickly. My tongue was also planted firmly in cheek but I realize sarcasm doesn't translate well in writing. Then I offered my advice which you quickly shot down.

Best Skier In Hakuba..

Nope...flipped a coin and decided this was a weekend to take the kid skating. Should have gone I guess. Oh..well, I will be up next weekend for sure though.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Best Skier In Hakuba..

Nope...flipped a coin and decided this was a weekend to take the kid skating. Should have gone I guess. Oh..well, I will be up next weekend for sure though.

It's a pain trying to decide whether to go or not from a distance hey. I had that before I was near. Taking the kid skating sounds fun though.

friend

Sorry if I overreacted but when you reply to someone with this

Quote:

it's difficult to imagine that you aren't speaking to me specifically. Anyway, enjoy your evening... I'm off to meet some friends for pints and laughs!

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Best Skier In Hakuba..

It's a pain trying to decide whether to go or not from a distance hey. I had that before I was near. Taking the kid skating sounds fun though.

friend

Ya..I live just on the other side of the peninsula from Black Mountain. It's only an hour longer away from Hakuba but man....that extra hour is a killer after a weekend of hard charging. If the snow isn't great it makes the effort to make the round trip that much harder.
Was it an indoor skating thing?
Never tried that but kind of interested.

Tons of sun lined up this week lets hope that might change as we move on and get something before next weekend. Onegai shimasu!

There is an indoor rink in Fujiyoshida....right near the Fuji Q Highland themepark in Yamanashi. I used to play hockey there and has really good ice. If it's cold enough they also have a little outdoor rink at our little local fake snow ski-jo...Yeti Snow Town. Good for the kiddies.

Lots of sun in the coming days....put away the all mountain skiis and tune the edges on the groomer carvers for the icy mornings.

The forecast for all of Japan is pretty much sunny until Wednesday.

The conditions were pretty good over the weekend but man was it busy! Great to see Hakuba actually making some money. The Japanese were out in full force for sure. Got the kids skiing yesterday the 2 year old boy can go down the baby slope so stoked made my weekend to see his big smile. The Happo tube park was f@@king awesome yesterday and there was carnage! Bloody well caught air in the tube so fun.

On Saturday I rolled the dice on a solo tour and just avoided avlanche city by about 20 minutes. I had a great line of ankle deep pow for 1000 meters vert then 500 meters of just perfect wet snow freshies. My timing was very lucky indeed. Climbed 800meters vertical total on the day. The bad news was that I got to witness the maddness that became of Mumezawa as people skied under cornices and on convexes. Lord f@@k a duck people learn about terrain and how it can effect your lines. Full on spider web fractures 20cms deep taking people for some wild rides!

VeryNice keep your fingers crossed it will return to winter soon or so the forecast says. If you can get over to Tsugaike great groomers or Cortina for the onsen and pizza. Or try kashimayari for great views and nice groomers.