haha, no cash flow problems at all. Its purely a psychological issue. i cant bring myself to pay more than 4000 yen to go to sleep. I just cant do it. I wish i could because then id get to stay in really nice places and be super relaxed without heaters that sound like people drilling next to my bed. (id also have no problems booking accommodation). But the pockets get surprisingly deep the second i even contemplate paying "over the odds" for a bit of kip.

Its honestly not my fault.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kanji yomimasen.

http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp/robus/2011fuyu/shuttle2.htm

Theres two timetables here, they dont seem to be the same thing. So er, 2 questions:

1. The second one mentions the word gondola a LOT more than the first, so does that mean its the bus i need or do both in fact go to shiga kogen but just different sides?

2. Wheres a good place to get off if i wanted hit up as much of the resort as possible.

3. Follow up: wheres a good place to finish the day and get the bus from?

4. Follow up question #2:

Where would be the most fun lines in shiga kogen for a little powderwhore idiot like me? I keep seeing yakebitaiyama popping up so can i assume thats the resort of choice here?

Originally Posted By: ippy
how can a question help... well i guess itll help when i come back and answer them all being the yappy git that i am smile

Don't hear 'git' used enough these days. Trying to bring it back...everyone looks at me funny. Well done you.

oh, and heres the tentative plan:

day 1 17th: travel day: hakuba to drop off board. Hakuba kip (prefer nagano kip in truth since it would give me one more day in shiga/ryuoo).

day 2 18th: hakuba something, then Nagano kip.

day 3 19th: Morning bus to ryuoo. Myoko kip

day 4 20th: Suginohara. Myoko kip.

day 5 21st: seki onsen, myoko kip

day 6 22nd: something in myoko, yudanaka kip

day 7 23rd: shiga, yudanaka kip.

day 8 24th: shiga, nagano kip

day 9 25th: morning bus to hakuba, hakuba kip

day10 26th: hakuba, hakuba kip

day11 27th: 7am train to nagoya, plane home. Kip.

at the very earliest i wont be getting it untili arrive at hakuba on 25th. Alas hes busy 18,19, and 20th, so earliest he can start is 21st and then ill be in shiga and far far away from it... actually youre making me rethink this. Maybe i should hit hakuba when its ready and then hit shiga 24th, 25th and 26th, then get as far south as i can on night of 26th. Ooooh! youre smart!

Ippy, RE: timetable

Left side from Okushiga to Yudanaka station.

Okushiga

Okushiga gondy

Yakebi No.1 gondy

Yakebi Prince hotel west

Ichinose

Takamagahara

Hoppo onsen

Hasu ike

Rope Way

Maru Ike

Sun Valley

Kamibayashi onsen (or - jyo rin onsen, not sure)

Yudanaka station

cheers dude! thats awesome! It took me a few minutes, but then i realised that the opposite way (yudanaka to yakebi gondola) is actually the bottom right hand corner one and not the one next to it. No idea what the hell that is, but i assume since it hits sun valley and the ropeway its the right hand side of the map whereas the bus you translated is the left hand side. smile

Thanks man, thats a big help. Now i know what bus i need to be getting smile

So the next questions are:

1. Wheres the best pow, trees and sidecountry stuff at shiga? I reckon i can spare a couple more days now to explore so i'll probably find it, but it wouldnt hurt having some kind of idea. Last night i stayed up till 2am reading everything about shiga on the site and surprisingly no ones really gone for a bit of an explore it seems smile

2. The ropeway or sunvalley seem solid places to get the bus back to yudanaka. So er, it is possible to hit these from anywhere on the mountain? That is, whether im at yakebi, terakoya, or maeyama, i can hit sun valley with not too much trouble, or am i massively underestimating the issues with connections here?

Dont make me start a shiga thread for all this people! i will you know! Theres just not enough info on this site about these kinds of things smile

Travel less, ride and enjoy more. Less IS more sometimes mate. If you can get me your board I can drop it in Hakuba. Im through Nagano on the 18th heading to Hakuba. Once there I can either run an axe through it and split it for you for the price of a beer or drop it off smile

hehe, the plan is probably gonna involve an extra day in ryuoo and shiga or myoko now smile So let me think:

17th: travel - Nagano kip

18th: Myoko - Myoko kip

19th: Myoko - Myoko kip

20th: Myoko - Myoko kip

21st: Myoko - Nagano kip

22st: Ryuoo - Nagano/ryuoo kip

23nd: Ryuoo - Yudanaka kip

24rd: Shiga - Yudanaka kip

25th: Shiga - Yudanaka kip

25th: Shiga - Nagoya kip

27th: Plane home

either that or 3 days at myoko, 2 at ryuoo and 4 at shiga?

Sorry, Ippy. I´m half asleep.

The one I wrote down is left top and it continues to the right top from the station.

Right top goes:

Yudanaka station

Kamibayashi (JyoRin) onsen

Sun valley

Maru ike

Rope way

Hasu ike

Kido ike

Kuma no yu

Suzuri kawa (gawa)

Yozaka the bottom left starts from Yozaka to station.

The right top originates from the bottom left from Yozaka (actually the first 3 from Suzuri kawa) and arrives at Yudanaka station at the same time, 707.

So there are 2 routes. Both meet up at the station.

Left top and bottom is where it starts from.

550 Oku shiga

610 Suzuri kawa

just as i suspected. Cheers dude, thats the bus timetable sussed. Guess i need the top left one to get back to yudanaka and the bottom right to get to shiga smile

Ive bit the bullet on yudanaka. will be staying at shimaya hostel in town and commuting to shiga every day. Arrive 22nd, and check out 26th. So shiga will be getting a proper going over from the 23rd to the 26th smile

Thinking about booking mont cervin in myoko (being one of the few places that actually comes up on a search and at 4k/night). But it looks a bit out of the way... anyone with info theyd care to share. Was wanting to hit some lines at the top of suginohara as well as a day or two at seki. But it seems a bit off the beaten path in truth.

ETA Mont Cervin now booked. Check in 18th, check out 21st.

So just need nice cheap accommodation at ryuoo for 21st and then im almost all done (just 17th and 26th left).

bizzump for ryuoo accommodation possibilities.

Also, I think im only taking one board. Which one you reckons?

Quiver killer 157

Charlie slasher 164

airobic 155

indoor Fk 156

I was gonna bring 2 but just got the 9 day myoko forecast and its snow on friday then nothing. I think im now a weather jinx. :(

lets see:

Charlie Slasher: AWESOME on pow. But kinda too big to really be fun anywhere else. Its not that its not fun on the groomers or anything, its fine, its just too damn big for it to be really enjoyable and just doink off stuff. Maybe the 158 would be more fun for all resort stuff, though i kinda doubt it. The rocker and taper isnt really built for that. No pow means the charlie isnt coming.

Heres a pointless rating system thats pretty much meaningless but itll help me choose:

(Key: Slackcountry principally refers to its ability in deeper pow and amongst the trees; park refers to the fun im likely to have trying stuff in the park; groomers refers to the boards ability to ride groomer conditions (ice chop, crud, very light pow, steeps, etc); cruising is just doinking about the resort hitting features and playing with some ground tricks; ripping is how the board feels when you open it up a bit and let it, er rip a little; and all mountain is just a score on how it feels it would perform in unknown conditions on an unknown mountain).

Slackcountry: 9 - eats it all up. Probably not as good as a designated powder board for getting some serious big spray, but this board wont let you down anywhere there is resort-backcountry pow. On a pow day its not even a decision.

park: 2 - sucks. Too big and clanky for me.

groomers: 6 - it can handle them fine, no problems with stability, its just not all that interesting is all.

cruising: 2 - yeah, charlie dont cruise.

ripping: 7 - the board is a tank, it rips in its element, it mopes everywhere else. But it can tank if it feels like it so ill give it an above average.

all mountain diversity: 4 - Its a quiver board, but unlike a designated powder board its still rips. The only real reason i dont take it out is because its a 164 and feels a little big to be playful. If it was a 158 id probably have a crack at a few things. I mean you can manual it if you like, and switch isnt that big a thing. If there was a category for pow all mountain, this would probably rock the scores. But there isnt. smile

Special category: Pow all mountain: 8 - can handle the deep stuff, can handle the tight stuff, can handle the groomers or the icy parts getting to lines. The board is stable, fun, has lots of bounce to it.. oh, and you can really drop that ass in the snow to get some very sharp turns. What cant it do? It even rides switch with no problem at all. Well its probably not as fun on seriously big lines, and its a little too big to be serioulsy sharp, but other than that its dynamite!

Airobic: Fun to cruise on the groomers. Probably the best board for just mellow cruising and trying out new stuff in mediocre conditions. The board can rip just as well as any other deck, and has lots of pop. My go-to board when i taking it easy and dont expect pow. It is however pretty poor in even mellow knee deep pow so wouldnt be that fun in the trees.

Slackcountry: 2 - okay in trees on semi steep lines, but struggles everywhere else

park: 7 - the board is my go to board to try new things. Very forgiving, very mellow, but with plenty of pop.

groomers: 6 it can bomb almost everything. But still it isnt really built for that and can chatter and feel a bit squirly at high speed.

cruising: 7 - great cruiser on poor to light conditions. Not as fun or buttery as the scope, but you can try out loads of new stuff with it.

ripping: 6 - the board has some great energy to it, but struggles when you really let it go a bit.

All mountain diversity: 3 - Can handle all conditions on a groomer though obviously not built for it, but struggles a LOT in powder compared to the other three. Powder is not its thing at all. Definitely a great quiver board for those days you just want to try stuff or just cruise a bit and the conditions arent that great, but not really an all mountain rig.

Indoor (sierrascope): Fun cruising deck, but has no real power behind it. Awesome in mellow pow where it comes into its own, but on icier or more barren conditions it feels a bit too squirly. It also struggles in deeper pow because the tail just will not sink. smile

Slackcountry: 5 - great medium pow abilities, and fun off piste, but it loses a lot of points because its hard to get traction in tighter lines

Park: 8 - this board is so much fun in the park, its pretty awesome for boxes and rails, and can handle mellow-medium kickers no problem. It lacks a bit of stability and pop for bigger features though.

Groomers: 3 - washes a lot on me, and thats kind of annoying for me who likes to bomb things.

Cruising: 8 - This deck is built for cruising. You can doink off anything or climb any wall on this deck. Its just an all round fun deck to cruise with.. and if theres a bit of pow out there you can hit, so much the better!

Ripping: 3 - it doesnt rip. It has no real power behind it and when you try and open it up for a bit of a charge, it kinda hits its limit a bit earlier than youd like.

All mountain diversity: 5 Wicked on mellow pow days if youre on a resort with no real off piste, and will KILL resort powder, but on choppier days it just feels a bit overwhelmed. Great fun for cruising and messing around in park, but kinda crappy on steeps and in choppy or icy terrain. Works as an all conditions board, but just feels a little "bleh" when the conditions arent right for it.

Finally the quiver killer is a wicked deck. It has some serious power behind it, and when it rips it really does fly, but it also has a bit of a problem in deeper pow as well as feeling a little dull on those days when you just want a nice mellow ride. Its not a board i want to try new stuff on, but on ice and for pop i have no better deck.

Slackcountry: 4 - loves tight trees, hates deep pow.

Park: 5 - Amazing pop, so i know this board kills the park, but what it kills (big kickers and pipe) is just too advanced for my ability. I also worry about it dropping me on my face a lot smile

Groomers: 9 - eats up everything on a resort, this deck has ZERO stability issues on any terrain outside powder.

Crusing: 4 - A bit too stiff for 'fun!' fun, but you can doink off stuff and pop off rollers easy enough, its just not so much fun to butter or cruise.

Ripping: 10 - Ive never come across a board thats as powerful or charges as hard as this one does. It should be the dictionary definition of a ripping board. When you let this board go, it will tear everything up.

all mountain diversity: 6.5 - Can do a bit of everything but can feel a little out of place in pow and if you want a bit of a mellow cruise. Couldnt decide on a 6 or a 7. It feels like a 7 because it really is the definition of an all mountain deck, but its probably an all mountain deck for someone with a bit more skill and willing to use it to its potential. Obviously loses some points for its slackcountry potential though. The deeper and flatter it goes, the less this board performs obviously.

hmmm, i think the airobic and charlie arent really in the running here, so its probably down to the quiver killer and the sierrascope. If there was a touch more pow coming id go with the scope, but well, i honestly want to give the quiver killer a bit more of a run out. I was just starting to get a bit of confidence on it after furano, and it really feels like the board is made for me, only a better me. smile

hehe, its what i do. It killed a stack of time, and the ad+d idiot in me likes my board having stats you can roll out on a d10.

And unless its going to be a pow dump, i reckon its the quiver killer though. smile

Oh, and just got my gopro come through just in time razz