• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope nope. not this time. Im determined im taking one and only one. smile

You people take too long. Im going with the quiver killer smile

Probably...

You catalogue geek lol

Capita are pretty wide in the middle. Not going to make much of a difference for me on the resort mogul for that. Plus small side curve radius. Not a bomber imho. Just another hooky board.

Quiverkiller at least might give you an added float should you get a bit of powder. Set it full back and ride it whichever you take.

But seriously, If it was me, I´d take the Charlie, provided that I have bigger feet. (I´m US7.5 no way I´d buy a board with 26cm width.)

Why? Although I don´t like 0 camber flat boards (comes from my skiing days) this board has a 9m sidecurve radius. This board can carve and the added nose rocker will make it easier to swing it. waddaya reckon!?

Ah jynxx, you have me second guessing myself again smile I have the quiver killer packed and ready to go but now im thinking about the last two rides on each and wondering.

Last ride on the charlie was kamui. Lets see: rode every slackcountry feature exactly how you want it. Absolutely nothing to complain about there! it was awesome! But then i also remember it bombing that wall of ice you have at the resort (its basically a small steep run on teh groomers that goes into this rather big rideable wall. Its pretty fun to let your speed rip, and try high marking it). The charlie ate it up and didnt falter heading back down either.

I also remember surprising myself by doing a spot of cross under carving on it. It has a much faster (but still incredibly stable) edge to edge than i realised smile Finally i even had some fun trying to press it. I reckon i was starting to use it in a bit more diverse way than i had been and it was starting to show it was a little more adaptable than id thought.

On the other hand though you have my last day on the quiver killer. The conditions were crappy. But something really piqued my interest about that deck that day. Ive thought about it, and this is what it was.

I was charging down this line from the link lift to the gondola, and popped off one of the rollers there. It felt... weightless, (maybe effortless is a better way to describe it)? Its hard to explain because it sounds so space cadet, but it was as if i hadnt even popped the board and was still on the ground carving this exact line id been following, only i was about 4 or 5 feet off the ground and just gliding through the air.

It was this perfect little moment where the board really captured my imagination and showed what it might be capable of (whilst simultaneously reminding me i sucked riding it the rest of the time). Im kinda hooked on that pop if im honest and since i spent most of furano working on pop i reckon this is the perfect board to take me onto the next step. smile

actually there you go. thats kinda made my mind up .

I was riding with these two very awesome swedish guys in niseko, and i dont remember why it came about, but one of them said to me "pop isnt just about height or spins, its not something extra. If you dont pop your board you wont be in control of the movement. Without pop you are at the mercy of your momentum and that will just as often end badly as it will end well." It was realising he was talking about EVERYTHING and not just jumps that made me think "bloody hell! ive been thinking about this all wrong!"

Since he said that to me ive been working on popping the board. It's like going back to square one smile The charlie pops, but its too big to swing around. The quiver killer obviously pops, is a bit unwieldy still, but its something i can probably get my weight around a bit easier.

So am I correct in assuming that the Charlie is now going to remain in one piece? I voted for the QK but would have gone for Charlie if it was a 158!

& have you found cheap accommodation for Ryuoo yet as I'm about to start planning/booking my trip? I'm toying with the idea of starting a new post or would you have any objections to me hijacking yours, seeing as we're going to some of the same places??

cheers jynxxie smile

And mick if i started a thread anywhere, theres probably no chance of it being taken off on a tangent since its probably all over the shop anyway smile And nope, no options yet for ryuoo at all.

Yupyup, i think its that thing when you just know thats the board to take you onto your next step smile I think the charlie, or rather big mountain/powder boards are really a few years off still, but its nice to have it around for little aspirational tastes of where im going. Its kinda like doing my avi course before i really start getting into backcountry. I dont really need it now, its nice to have, but its more about keeping the eye on the prize and getting a bit of the groundwork done in preparation for the next few years.

Re Ryuoo accommodation. I searched and searched and found nothing in English. However, from the Ryuoo ski resort homepage there is a Japanese link to every accommodation on the hill. The prices are very reasonable for each place. I think I paid 7000Y which included the lift pass and breakfast in the morning. It was also ski in ski out and one of their staff met me at the information center with a snowmobile to take me up the hill to the hotel. I'm sorry but I don't have time now to go searching for the name of the place. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: ippy
And mick if i started a thread anywhere, theres probably no chance of it being taken off on a tangent since its probably all over the shop anyway smile

That's what makes it so entertaining wink

Think I'll start my own road trip post when I've done a bit more research. Cheers Ippy!

& I've just seen Black Mountain's reply about Ryuoo - sounds like a winner if only for the free snow mobile ride!
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Re Ryuoo accommodation. I searched and searched and found nothing in English. However, from the Ryuoo ski resort homepage there is a Japanese link to every accommodation on the hill. The prices are very reasonable for each place. I think I paid 7000Y which included the lift pass and breakfast in the morning. It was also ski in ski out and one of their staff met me at the information center with a snowmobile to take me up the hill to the hotel. I'm sorry but I don't have time now to go searching for the name of the place. Good luck!

yeah, ive been trying there, ut everything is for two people or more. I keep trying to find just one place that will let you stay for one person but it doenst seem to be happening. Thats been the big feature of staying in shiga/ryuoo this year. Theres just no single person accommodation that isnt at a mad premium.

yupyup, in a net cafe in nagano right now. staying over night in nagano then gonna try and make it to myoko tomorrow morning. Probably gonna try and hit suginohara i reckon smile

Well done on both counts!! clap

Therefore my offer of 10k for Charlie still stands. What the hell, I've just had a beer so am feeling generous, make it 11k and it's a done deal wink

haha, i didnt think you were serious.

update: not a chance in hell smile That board is sick! and i aint parting with it for less than 30k, and truth is i aint parting with it at all for 2 reasons: 1. Its my powder stick, and the chances of me getting a board for the 30k i sell it as GOOD as that rig is x<zero. And 2. Its in korea and i aint shipping it to japan smile If you wanted it, its way too late unless you come and get it and bring with you a splitboard ready to go.

But onto more pressing matters, spent the day on myoko akakan. I had a freaking ball. The morning powder was really really heavy which made for some wicked acrobatics when the nose kept diving at speed. But by the afternoon the pow went soft and fluffy and i had a great time messing around in the trees and under the lifts. I also really want to get up to that dead lift which takes you to that clearly cut path. I may end up giving seki a bye again. Powder is everywhere right now so might as well play on it with the steepest lines in the area smile