something like that jynnxie smile

ippy_14.JPG

(if ever a photo spoke a thousand words. It almost pays for the gopro in itself!) Heres to many more pictures of me bailing smile

(Info more for me than you: Tomorrow off to ryuoo i hope. Bus leaves nagano station at 9.20. Train from myoko is 7.49 arriving at 8.30... 3 early starts... its almost unthinkable! Ill see if i can get some accommodation options while im there and post them up).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bailed on ryuoo batfans. went to akakura onsen instead for the first time. Probably the last time too... though i did see a grom thats going to be famous in about 6 years. He must have been all of 7 or 8 and pulled off a totally clean backside 7. It was only a tiny kicker too near lift 8, so i shudder to think what hes capable of when he gets a bit mroe air time.

Anyway, the lift design at akakura onsen is a massive joke played on me the paying customer. Lift 4 is hysterical. Its even funnier when the only eigo on the lift is the number 5 and you cant work out where the hell you are on the map because you just misread it. Which of course brings me to the next joke: signposting. None of the lifts seem to bother mentioning what number they are. They also dont have clocks. I saw at least 2 lifts where there is a light brown circle clearly indicating a clock used to be there, but was obviously costing them too much money or something.

Anyway, the only redeeming thing was the view (and maybe lift 7 which was kinda fun, oh! and the fact it brings you out at the main street.) Theres a few clear slides on the mountain too, so didnt dare hit any off piste stuff near the top. Though i did discover that with a teensy bit of shenanigans, you can ninja the best run on akakan... though tried to cut back and ended up riding under a dead lift (that was fun) and then under the ski jump (that could have been fun, but the conditions really werent safe to be riding anything over 30). All in all the place can hurry up and die for all i care. smile

PS. I learned today that the people who run akakan/ikenotaira/suginohara are trying to sell it and thats why the facilities are being left in squalor even though the numbers have apparently gone up in the last couple of years. Its also why one of the BEST lifts at suginohara was shut down forcing everyone coming down mitenohara or whatever its called (skiers right), into that tiny 2 person garbage lift and then onto the gondola. Theyre cost cutting like little bastards smile

Still, the prices have gone down for lift tickets so thats nice. Also had my greatest moment of the season on a snowboard yesterday at suginohara.

Was bombing down under the old defunct lift halfway down just after the 'powder course'. Was enjoying the pow and happily charging away when i came past one of the lift stanchions when all of a sudden i realised "this is going to **** hurt!" There was a good ten meter drop and i was going way too fast to bail. I took it beautifully even though i was straight bricking it and landed totally on point. I slammed on the brakes just to look at it. It was pretty meh. Probably only three meters, but none the less was the crowning moment of my season so far. smile Id never have hit it if i had a choice and though i wanted nothing more than to ride it again and again, with the clarity of rational thought i figured it would be best not to break a limb my second day riding.

dirty bloody cheese.

Anyyyyyyyywaaay...

4 days left. And 6 days gone. Currently in yudanaka, and it strikes me that since im buying the 3 day super pass, i should probably take a day off...

So when should i do it?

screw those guys! i paid good money to be entertained and all they did was stroll past me like i owed them a bloody living! The babies were cute, but we werent allowed to sneak across the river to go get a closer look at them scurrying up and down the mountain. Some japanese dude thought itd be wise to try and pet one of the adult monkeys... the monkey was not amused.

It didnt help that i was told all these great stories of monkeys standing on other monkeys and pooing on their head in the onsen, either!

Oh and in the entire time we were there, only one monkey bothered to do its job and sit in the bloody onsen.

Massive let down to be honest smile

Ippy, could you give me some more info about that Mont Cervin place you stayed at in Myoko, ie, cost, location, distance from station, contact details, etc, etc. Cheers mate! friend

Originally Posted By: ippy
screw those guys! i paid good money to be entertained and all they did was stroll past me like i owed them a bloody living! The babies were cute, but we werent allowed to sneak across the river to go get a closer look at them scurrying up and down the mountain. Some japanese dude thought itd be wise to try and pet one of the adult monkeys... the monkey was not amused.

It didnt help that i was told all these great stories of monkeys standing on other monkeys and pooing on their head in the onsen, either!

Oh and in the entire time we were there, only one monkey bothered to do its job and sit in the bloody onsen.

Shame you didn't enjoy it.
I would say that most people came back from there pleased they went.

you can find it via hostelworld or hostelbookers or something like that.

The place is quite remote, its a good fifteen minute walk downhill to get there id say from the post office at akakura (it took about 5 minutes in the car). I cant even conceive of going uphill on it. Id say its just out of the question unless youre actually up for a hike in and for itself. There arent any amenities nearby (like a combini or onsen for example) and you have no access to kitchen facilities. This isnt really standard dorm style accommodation. That being said, the guy will pretty much drive you anywhere, and his wife is adorable. Not realising they didnt have kitchen facilities i bought some bread, milk, cheese, sugar, tea, and butter for some toast and tea in the mornings. They actually went out of their way to make me toast and brew a kettle for me. So yeah, initially it might seem like its really difficult to do stuff, but they accommodate you almost everywhere that its a piece of cake.

And their cakes are delicious smile

Plus the guy knows everything there is to know about myoko being the director for the national parks area until last year.

Anyway:

cost: 4000 per night. But factor this in: they have discount tickets for every resort you want to hit. That means akakan and akakura onsen for 3000, and suginohara they have the 3700 yen (lift pass and lunch) ticket. So really consider it about 3000 per night.

Location: remote. You wont really be leaving the hotel at night. Still, youll have no problem going to any of the resorts since he'll drive you there AND come pick you up around 4.30 smile

Distance from station: its near the main akakura town, so about ten to fifteen minutes, but theyll pick you up and take you back there. In effect that means its no problem at all.

Contact deets: either hostelbookers, rakuten (japanese, they said they arent on the english one), or hostelworld i believe. or phone: 0255873143. The guy who runs it doesnt speak as much english as his wife, but shes really chirpy and can answer any questions you have.

It wasnt that busy while i was there so its probably in spring winding down mode, so chances are youll probably have a room to yourself which is always nice smile

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude

Shame you didn't enjoy it.
I would say that most people came back from there pleased they went.

haha, it was alright, im just not really charmed by nature/culture smile
you can find it via hostelworld or hostelbookers or something like that.

Cheers for that Ippy! Just found it on Hostelbookers clap

Am hoping to start booking things up for my trip today!!