• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes taking them all over to Kagura would take some time, how did you check them all our Mick?

Pity that portacabin isn't at the base of the actual slopes.

Yeah it was a bit of a mission!!! I wanted to try them in some decent snow but I could only find some of that higher up, namely after going up the Mitsumata Ropeway, the Mitsumata High Speed Lift No.1, the Kagura Gondola and the Kagura High Speed Lift No.1!! I made it up there with the first 2 boards but was running out of time and energy by the time I demo'd the Machete, so just did a few laps of the Mitsumata zone for that! Still good fun though! biggrin

Haven´t really found that ONE for POW board yet.

Problem is compounded by the numbers of days I get in pow every year and riding in powder is a different game (for me at the mo).

Although we pick and choose the day and location (to about 7 out of 10 days is pow), I am yet to experience over the waist deep powder - but I don´t sink that much anyways because I´m light weight.

Consider that, and the following issues so I will choose next years snowboard...

I ride longer boards in general and float has never been a serious issue for me.

157~159 is my resort board. If I want more float I just have to go faster (so the terrain matters) or I will move my binding back.

In pow, these boards do need to be ridden with my weight on the back leg, and that´s were I feel it´s a different game.

So I do move the bindings back and forth depending on the day (so I can run a little more centre weighted) , but if I have both (pow and hard) on the same day, and I set the binding for hard pack, I do get nose flips when the terrain changes - not only snow but sudden gradient changes including bumps.

The reason I like riding my board on the front foot (from riding hardpack steeps) are that putting pressure on the front makes it easier to turn, and mentally you are ahead of the run. I sometimes feel that the snowboard is following me. I said before that speed helps with float but that is not entirely true. On a short board like 158 with my weight on the front, My nose is gonna dig right after I come out of the turn.

So people make these boards for pow by simply putting the binding to the back and widening the board. It helps your nose lift up because your tail sinks, but also you can put more pressure on the front without the nose digging in. But do we all need short Pow-boards with wide nose and waists!?

Absolutely No! Especially if you are light weight. Wide nose means less pressure you can put on the front (because you are light)

It will pick up more irregular feature of the terrain (like bumps) and amplify that towards the rider.

OK. If it is only for powder... Choose a shorter board than normally what you ride. This will really appeal to Skaters. Don´t get me wrong, I really admire and respect skaters having sick balance! Unreal! But I can´t ride like them.

The problem is when you want an all mountain, hardpack, ice, deep pow board.

I learnt that moving between front and back is not quick enough to adapt. I don´t want to move my binding when I am on the mountain.

Here is were the side curve comes into play. Long sidecurve radius will give you a better grip on ice. Narrower waist under 25cm is easier for Lightweights. So longer and narrower boards where I can put the weight on the front without digging in and still the tail sinks, not having to be on the back leg all the time.

HA! I think I´ve just convinced myself to buy a long swallowtail.

I reckon if the nose floats out, it will be easier to swing it.

And imagine being able to go thru flat section - would it?

I really wish that the snowboard manufactures design boards by the weight range, not by sex. Would be cool if you can choose your topsheet design. I really like the clear woody look, too.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Here is were the side curve comes into play. Long sidecurve radius will give you a better grip on ice. Narrower waist under 25cm is easier for Lightweights. So longer and narrower boards where I can put the weight on the front without digging in and still the tail sinks, not having to be on the back leg all the time.

HA! I think I´ve just convinced myself to buy a long swallowtail.
I reckon if the nose floats out, it will be easier to swing it.
And imagine being able to go thru flat section - would it?
I really wish that the snowboard manufactures design boards by the weight range, not by sex. Would be cool if you can choose your topsheet design. I really like the clear woody look, too.

when i've read your words the first thing i've think is: POGO SNOWBOARD:D

Shaman_4c89c94b52bb4.png

Pogo Shaman

length 193cm

Width 23.4cm

Side curve radius 13m

Nose Rocker 43cm

Rider weight 65~95kg

1069 Euro

Expensive board. Would I ride it? Shit yeah!

Check it out! 13m radius and narrow width. This thing will carve.

i've ride the l80 longboard (in europe you can write to their email and then they send you the board you want to test).

180cm, quite narrow, these board have frontback (you must drive pushing on your frontfoot for accellerate and on your backfoot for brake).

Really amazing board, lighter, responsive, and they offer you a free lifetime repair service (top, back and edges).

You can check the DUPRAZ d1, is wider that pogo boards, but same concept, frontback, longboard and now you can buy at their online shop for 540euro!

I´ll give it a try next year, giogio.

The Pogo Sharman looks great, but if I were to pay a thousand Euros, I would like a perfect board. Meaning, at my weight I´d like that board a little shorter at 180 and still with the 13m radius and narrow waist.

Secret_Spot_4d4181b75d0fa.png

Is this the one you rode?

Secret Spot 183, 26cm width and 11m radius.

no, i've ride the L80, is a longoboard type.

L80_4ba129067e0f4.png

In powder is a beast but is more allaround board.

Of this model they do l70, 170cm, 24.8 waist, 7.5mt radius

People that i know have bought a pogo are very satisfied, they have buy the board 10years ago and during this time they've change all their edges and the top of the board.

D_day_4ba12d8910e1d.png

Another one then. I reckon this one is for the trees.

Can see myself riding it in JaPow.

Pogo D-day

169cm

Sidecurve radius 12m

similar specs to the Shaman, a shorter version. These boards are sleek, without the wide nose.

Recommended rider weight 50~90kg

well, try to contact Martin Sammet of pogo and book a test for the next year:D

You can test for a weekend for fee (you have to pay only the shipping cost for return the board) of with 100€ you can test the board for a week!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Shaman_4c89c94b52bb4.png

Pogo Shaman
length 193cm
Width 23.4cm
Side curve radius 13m
Nose Rocker 43cm
Rider weight 65~95kg

1069 Euro

Expensive board. Would I ride it? Shit yeah!
Check it out! 13m radius and narrow width. This thing will carve.

Jynxx they've one used twice for 800€:D

Makes the tail of the board easier to sink in powder without making the tail width narrower. (This is called "taper" of the board)

Some people (like me) don´t like too much of a taper because the tail starts sliding on hard pack. This is a generalization, or more like one of the things that can make the tail of the board slide out, but that´s the feel I get. Tapered boards are generally called Pin-Tail.

There are basically three ways to make the tail of the board sink in powder.

(1)Cut away the delta area and make it into a Swallow-tail (V-tail)

(2)Reduce the area by tapering the board and make it into a Pin-Tail

(3)Put bindings at the tail of the board so the rider rides at the back of the board with less tail under their weight.

All of this is done by either reducing the surface area of the tail/ less resitance from the snow/ increasing pressure per board area from the rider weight and momentum(velocity x your mass).

I should say that, instead of making the tail of the board sink in powder, we want to make the nose come out of the powder, not dig into it.

hope this helps