After a lot of research and chatting with some friends I've narrowed by next board choice down to a 156 Fish or a 160 Lib Tech Mullet. Lots of raves about the Fish but kinda like the ability to go swith on the Lib when I get stuck in a tight spot. Just need help deciding.

I'd like to buy one ASAP so it can be shipped to Niseko for my arrival so its ready for the 1st day as it will dump every day Im there smile

Ippy et al any advice guys?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent ridden either dude, so cant honestly help you. Still, ive been riding my charlie slasher and heres what ive learned:

Size doesnt matter.

And by that i mean BIG size doesnt matter. Unless you plan on hitting trees all day then go as big as you can smile If i could wreck a 170 i would.

Looking at a Snow Mullet, it´s a classic Pin tail.

Yeah, sure it´s got Banana and M-traction but I don´t really give a toss on M-traction when riding pow, and not sold on banana between the legs confused lol razz

Doesn´t look like it has much of a setback either.

Looks like someone who comes from a twin and banana freestyle background will dig.

I´d go for a 165 or 172 at your weight, but I don´t ride Lib and not my style ... so can´t say.

Fish, I´d go 160 at least.

Hell, Missus and I are 55kg and 160 would be our max size.

Wouldn´t worry about the in between hard packs.

You want float in Pow, right? I bet Ippy´s happy about making a mistake and getting a longer 164 Charlie.

Good luck with your shopping Pete. You will never get a consensus on here as everyone rightly has their preferences and bias.

But if I see a mullet sticking out the snow when I arrive in week, I will be sure to come over and ask how you're getting on with it.

Originally Posted By: Schneebored
Good luck with your shopping Pete. You will never get a consensus on here as everyone rightly has their preferences and bias.

But if I see a mullet sticking out the snow when I arrive in week, I will be sure to come over and ask how you're getting on with it.

That´s for sure smile

Let us know ...

Hey Pete

My fish is a 156 and I am 85kgs which is above the 82kg max rating but I had no problens in waist deep in Rusutsu.

I went smaller because I thought it would turn better in the trees and I have no desire to ride fast.

I think of a fish in termes of a surfboard if you are riding a gun it is long and thin but Fishes are short and wide.

The Mullet seems to be a more alround board ie: beeter on the piste.

But you have a piste board buy a powder board.

Seemore

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
You want float in Pow, right? I bet Ippy´s happy about making a mistake and getting a longer 164 Charlie.

Youre darn tooting i am smile Screw it, if youre buying a powder board youre buying a powder board!

Hey pete, your lib should be fine for resort pow or crusing the trees, and that snow mullet sounds a lot like my slasher anyway, so why not just get a designated ripping powder board. None of this happy compromise. Just grab a fish for those days its dumping and you just want to surf! Or buy a slasher since theyre dirt freaking cheap anyway. But go biiiiiig. razz

if i could take it all back, my honest choice would be a split board. Nothing has annoyed me more than looking over at tokachidake and knowing that if i had a split i could just shuffle up that mountain and ride it until the powder ran dry. Same goes at chisenupuri. On day 2 of our avi course we hiked the mountain overlooking it (i forget the name)

and all i could see was this really easy to access beutiful white face that had no one hitting it. But i was buggered if i was spending 30,000 yen on a pair of snowshoes, so the next board im buying is going to be split. Maybe the ns summit smile And need i mention its going BIG because big is better. smile Actually, how much is that jones solution? that might be an idea!

oooh! only 800 and comes in a 165. I know whats on my xmas list next year smile

Thanks mate, Im never going to go big in BC. Only duck a few ropes/gates etc in resort type riding. Sorry should have clarified that.

Schnee have rung Burton in Tokyo, no stock anywhere apparently and fly direct to Niseko ex Beijing.

The Mullet and the Fish are two different monsters. The Mullet seems to be closer to a Malolo.

The need to ride switch on a Fish is not that great; the tail is so short that flipping it around is easier than you would imagine.

For tree runs the fish wins, hands down. The level of control is outstanding.

Worrying how a Fish handles grommed slopes is like worrying how a mud crawler handles a race track. People that worry about that need to sort their priorities first, and then pick their board.

i did think about splitting my charlie. I mean 164 is kind of a decent size what with the taper and all, plus it would save me a stack of cash, but honestly im a total clutz. I asked about niseko to see if anyone would split it, but no one does :( Pity, i have a feeling that someone with the right tools and get up and go might make a decent business with snowboarders who might want an easier time of it than boot packing the peak or having to walk out at hanazono. And then, as i say theres all the other peaks that suddenly open up to you if you can get hold of some wheels.

And frankly who wants to hike for two or three hours to hit a line once because youre in snowshoes when you can just lap the damn thing because on skins its easy mode scooting back up through broken trail? tcha! i need a split. :|

And pete, have you tried rakuten or yahoo auctions? Hell, id even lend you my charlie if you happen to be in new chitose tomorrow around 10am. I mean its not gonna be doing much more this season smile

The Lib will probably do the on-piste return run a lot better because of the MagneTraction edges, but the Fish (this is a moot point since you can't find one to buy) will be more stable at speed because of the traditional camber between the bindings.

the dude has a shop smile and its on the other side of hokkaido.

So if you buy direct from the shop there should be no bother ordering it!

099-2103 Kitami City, three district TannochÅ 400-1

Heres the info courtesy of google translate:

Company Name AmericanStyle33 (Co. AmericanStyle33)

Representative Humi Ken Naka

Head Office Address

Business Location

Phone 0157-56-3993

Fax 0157-56-3993

E-mail americanstyle_33@cup.ocn.ne.jp

URL http://www.AmericanStyle33.com

Department

Representative Humi Ken Naka

Opening Hours 10:00 07:00

About the remarks

License Information

oh and heres the rakuten link for his 'store'

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-as33/c/0000000286/

and shipping info:

About Shipping

Size less than 120

740 yen Hokkaido, northern Tohoku 950 yen, 1050 yen north of the southeast, Shinetsu 1160 yen Kanto, Hokuriku, Chubu 1260 yen, 1470 yen Kansai, 1580 yen in China, Shikoku 1680 yen, 1790 yen Kyushu and Okinawa 1890 yen

Size over 120

1370 yen Hokkaido, northern Tohoku 1580 yen, 1680 yen north of the southeast, Shinetsu 1790 yen Kanto, Hokuriku, Chubu 1890 yen, 2100 yen Kansai, 2210 yen in China, Shikoku 2310 yen, 2420 yen Kyushu and Okinawa 3470 yen

※ The island is required for relay additional fee is required query.

there you go. Get someone pera pera on the blower with him.