Spot the skier. Believe it or not, this skijo is actually open...

Having seen the changes in peoples values,(including work, play and lifestyle) for the last 30 years, I reckon Mr Wiggles explained that in a nut shell.

Golf business has always been in relation to business and investment. Not only on corporate level but also on personal investment ie) golf club membership.

Networking, business deals are made at golf clubs and hence, becomes necessary entertainment budget for companies.

Tennis was defo a boom thang. Interesting thing is that peoples´interest in tennis were similar to golf, because it was fashion/social status/networking/club membership investment. The additional x-factor was the healthy and sexy lifestyle aspect.

10 pin bowling. Ah! you people have no idea how big that was. A whole building 6 floors full of bowling alleys. Now you are lucky to see one of the floors open (if it´s still there)

Ski patrons are just like bowlers, They don´t have money invested as members. The ski-jyo is there for reasons that is beyond us (like Wiggles said) They can run it anyway they like, Be it Yuzo Kayama, Tsutsumi´s Prince or Tokyu, whoever. It is in the interest of those developers and shareholders.

It probably doesn´t matter to the Japanese public (or the economy) whether most of the ski-jyo closes as a result. We have seen stuff come and go. Gaijins come and go..

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I really want to go there now wink Would you mind tell me which resort it was? You could even PM me the name and I'll promise to keep it a secret!

As much as in one way I'd like to say, and tell some other stories, I think it's probably best that I don't in such a public place.
You might just need to come to Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma and use beer to try and get it out of me perhaps. wink

Very quiet at Happo today. Maybe only thirty or forty people riding higher than the gondola from lunchtime onwards in steady snow. The Kurobishi lift was closed all day for some reason.

Where I was was calf to knee light pow on what I guess was wind scour. Still, lots of face shots!

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Just as a wild guestimate, about what percentage of the total skiers/snowboarders in a season in Niseko are non-Japanese, and what would be the same number for Hakuba?

I think it's getting up near 40% non Japanese tourists through the winter months. I saw one figure saying in 03/04 there were about 8,000 foreign skiers/boarders and by 09/10 is was over 80,000. It's been rapid growth.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Same place as the original photo, today at 12 noon

muikabochi_2762.JPG

Looks like Austria where hardly no one rides just outside the groomed areas.

Doesn´t it, Pete
I was thinking something similar. Just take off from the lip of the groomed and into the pow and back on to the groomed run.