Hi Guys

I have my first trip to Japan coming up in February and was hoping for some advice on what to pack for footwear when not on the slopes - do I need anything special?

If so, should I be buying or hiring here in Australia or in Niseiko?

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get something that is insulated and decenlty waterproof. Something with good grip is important as well. I am sure you can find most boots have these features but they are the most important!

Originally Posted By: stemik
I am always amazed of the some of the footwear I see tourists walking in. I think the worst are the Japanese college students with just sneakers.

I will be wearing sneakers, but they are insulated, waterproof, and above ankle smile so they are sort of like a mini boot.

The best advive I can give is to not to wear hiking boots. Because the soles of hiking boots have a hard compound rubber for durability this actually makes them quite slipperty on ice. Plus they normally have a lot of lacing up which is a real pain in the butt in a country where having to take your shoes off is common place. Also they generally don't have a high enough cuff for a place like Niseko where it can snow over a foot of snow in a few hours. So ideally a boot you can easily slip on and off, is insulated with at least a mid calf cuff and has a soft compound rubber sole to grip ice more easily.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
High heels.

When doing seasons in Europe I used to love watching the Russian ladies negotiate the icey streets in high heels. haha...bamby on ice!

I have an old pair of timberland boots which have seen many winters and survived. The soles have a soft rubber which is great on ice.
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
Originally Posted By: RobBright
High heels.

When doing seasons in Europe I used to love watching the Russian ladies negotiate the icey streets in high heels. haha...bamby on ice!

BAMBI! rollabout

Iceskating.JPG

This is what I have for walking around town in winter. Few laces which can be left loose for easy slipping on and off. Good grippy sole for icy conditions and plenty warm enough and high enough cuff for walking through deep snow. Admittedly not that sylish for heading out to a bar but hey I've been married for 10 years, stylish is not something I much care about anymore wink

f10_nm1023_010.jpg

I've got the same Sorels, but I rarely use them anymore. They are great for walking around at ski areas, but too hot when traveling! (There's that local vs visitor thing again.) A pair of winterized high-tops is enough for just going hotel to bars & restaurants.