• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 sleeps to go!!!

Test packs done, everything is in order and ready to go, just need to get some YEN and get on the plane.

So good to read the reports and see the web cams staying white.

Look out Niseko here i come!!!

party

I'm going to wait till something a bit more exciting than the Family Lift is open. Doing laps on a beginner slope packed with beginners is just not my thing. Although I'm getting desperate for a ski I'm not quite that desperate yet! wink

Thanks for the link to that old thread, Pie. I missed it, as unfortunately I was sitting in the Bald Mt Lodge with an icepack on my lower back after losing it on a patch of bottomless ice at Sun Valley.

There's an obvious disconnect between those who ``spend a season'' and are typically working in/for a ski resort, and those who spend hard-earned cash and must plan well ahead to spend a few days there.

As one of the latter, I'm certainly envious of the former -- not to the point of wishing evil on them, by any means, but to maybe the occasional smile of satisfaction when a lift companion moans about having missed the 30cm of fresh that morning because of a work commitment until noon.

So to our fortunate friends who can step outside and strap up at the drop of a snowflake, whether in Niseko, Hakuba or anywhere else:

You lucky few seem to have trouble understanding that the rest of us couldn't care less about that 50cm dump on April 14, especially after we paid a week's worth of salary back in October to spend the week of February 2 there, and your whole damn mountain was a sheet of ice (or drenched in rain, or bare of snow, as the case may be).

And you need to realize that some of us (self excluded) don't have the experience to discount properly your tales of consistent powder days from December to March -- leaving out the minor disclaimer that 90% of those days come in about six weeks of January & February, and when it does snow overnight in March odds are the sunshine will turn it into mush by 10 a.m. because most of your mountain faces east, or even south.

Oh, and the back country? A few of us have the time, experience & energy to enjoy it, but most don't, and anyway we're usually up there with girlfriends, wives, children, beginner friends & colleagues to look after. We don't hate you for having the slack to head out, and we don't even mind (much) your snide comments about our failed lives -- hell, we know. Karma's a bitch!

But given that we provide most of the economic wherewithal...well, think about the advice and information you throw at us. You just might be heading for a bit of rocks & ice yourself in the next life.

Anyway, snow's coming soon. Beers all around!

It will, after all, be the best season of our lives with bottomless light powder every morning, from Komadori to Kujo!

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
You lucky few seem to have trouble understanding that the rest of us couldn't care less about that 50cm dump on April 14, especially after we paid a week's worth of salary back in October to spend the week of February 2 there, and your whole damn mountain was a sheet of ice (or drenched in rain, or bare of snow, as the case may be).

Actually we have no trouble understanding this, we just don't care! You could easily be one of the lucky few if you wanted to be. Come join us, get out of the city and live the good life. Time to live the dream SJ! thumbsup wink