A new action-packed 2 page feature, "Springtime Freestyle Sessions at Hakuba", written by SJ Forum member barok, has been put online.

Barok will be contributing further articles in the coming months, all under the new Column section, "180 Degrees" .

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/180degrees-2.html

Snowboarding is one of the most versatile sports you can play, and that’s a good thing. Most beginners start on the courses, but once you progress to a higher level, your range of options is vast. You can ride an alpine board, a swallowtail, a split board, a long board, a powder board, a big mountain board, a freeride board, a freestyle board, a jib board or any one of about 5 other kinds that I know I am forgetting. Once you strap in, you can ride in the pipe, the park, powder, on-course, backcountry, or in the streets.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/180degrees-2.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Nice work. A very persuasive incitement to air. (Good 'toilet boy' shot at the end too).

Have you got any advice for riding waves? I had a blast on a wave run at Echo Valley but I think I was missing some crucial element of the sport. Maybe I missed the whole point of the wave feature entirely.

Yo barok

Nice work there. Great pics of the park dudes. It's great to see em hit the gigantic kicker.

I've heard a rumour that 47 is ditching the mogul course next to the pipe and is going to build a superpipe there next season. Did the park guys say anything about it?

Why don't you get a real job like the rest of us and stop wasting time snowboarding! Just kidding, superb article a really good read.

I very much admire your committment and courage to follow your passion. Not many people are able to do that.

Does the rail do as much damage to the bottom of your board as it looks like it would? The rails looks like they would be great fun, but not at the expense of needing a new board.

The rails do very little to no damage to your board. You would have to ride them all day all season to require a new board. If the rail is over concrete steps and you come off a lot you could do some damage, but chances are you would be worse off than the board. The worst thing you can do to a board is to drop it on its edge on concrete (or rail or something). If you crack the edge the whole board eventually comes apart. I have broken two boards. One mark of a good board company is if they will replace or repair a broken board. Big fat thumbs up to Option Snowboards.