1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I can understand a bit of most things and try to fill in gaps.

But my writing is just awful, I try not to show anyone.

Funniest is in the bank when they seem to insist that I write - they won't help out. Writing age of about 6 months!

Can read and write hiragana and katakana but know probably less than 50 kanji and could barely write more than a few. Having no real desire or need to learn kanji I can't see me ever learning more.

lol @Pete

Interesting to hear that some people don't feel the need to write, and that the computer is detrimental to Kanji learning.

Looks like, once you learn to read you will not forget, but writing needs constant attention.

Really interested to hear more from you all out there.

Some tips and efforts of how you did it. I´d like to help in regards to that, too.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
lol @Pete

Interesting to hear that some people don't feel the need to write, and that the computer is detrimental to Kanji learning.
Looks like, once you learn to read you will not forget, but writing needs constant attention.

When the Japanese have difficulty remembering Kanji how the hell do we have a chance?!!!!

I can read and write hiragana and katakana like a native, and can read around 500 kanji and can write about the same I guess? Recently I don't practice writing kanji at all so starting to forget some, but ok if I use a computer. Note to myself : study more this winter!!!

Unless you write kanji every day it will be very difficult to remember how to write them and will soon forget. Reading is different, because it is easy to see the kanji everywhere you go without needing any effort to practice just try reading things that you see.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

But that's the same for any language, not just Japanese.

But think about the sounds we have in English?

Rough - Borough - Through - Plough

All contain "ugh" yet have different sounds, yet if people don't write them, they do forget how to spell them. We know how to read them

Ruff - Boraw - Threw - plauw

As spellings from school kids in the UK. And this can be put down to spell checkers, or predictive texts, or even people eschewing predictive texts and written how it sounds, hence the "ruff" for "rough".

dunno about in Oz, but in the UK, we were subjected to spelling tests week in week out, to help us study, but even now, sometimes use a dictionary to spell words that maybe I haven't used in a long time.

That can be said of Japanese. A kanji can read different when combined with another to form a word. Kanji has On-yomi and Kun-yomi and often there are two sounds for On-yomi.

Any one of you guys at a stage that you have a KAN-WA JITEN? 漢和辞典

I think of the process of learning Kanji is that you learn the different combination that makes up words hence increasing vocab, resulting in ... you get more out of Japan ... learning, information, books, speaking, etc ...

The chances are, the more kanji you can read, the better speaker you are. So it comes down to effort, motivation and need. What you are doing there.

I can relate to people who can't be bothered. I feel that way with German. I don't like the sound of German, I don't really like to be here, and I don't share the values people have here. I'm not convinced that snow is enough reason to stay at a certain country - especially when it doesn't snow all year around. Maybe surfers are happier that way. whoops ... going off topic

True the on- and kun- readings can be a bastard to remember but if you know the spoken form, that can be roughly transposed over the kanji at a guess. But there in lies the problem, if you can't read the kanji then good luck in finding the meaning if you don't have an electric dictionary or someone to read it for you. Had to learn how to use a kanji dictionary once, pain in the arse learning how many strokes are used. Sometimes what I thought was 8 may have been 14

Vocabulary is important in any language,the more you can use correctly, you will have increased language coherence and comprehensibility.

From what I have seen with kanji, well any pictographic language is the best way to practice is that dreaded, and most mind-numbing of studying techniques, rote learning and continually writing, to help muscle memory and contructing pathways in the brain.

I gave up on writing a long long time ago.

How often do I need it? Only when at the shiakusho once a year or so, and I just brashly tell them to write it for me anyway now.

I just wonder how you guys learn to read it unless you practice writing it. Some of them look similar, and you won't notice the difference unless you write it down yourself and compare to what you saw.

When I went back to Japan at form 5, my writing was at form 1, reading at form 2 level. Nearly got placed into a mentally handicapped school. I said to myself I shall learn 5 new kanji every day, forget 2 out of that by next day, so it will be 3 Kanji a day. One year of that will give me 1000 kanji. Well .. it took me like 3 years to be able to write them but my reading improved a lot quicker, learning more words.

Took a while for me to read a newpaper. Can't believe seeing 4 can read it.

Je pense, je suis.

Teton! (new one)

Anyways, my misuss is getting motivated and now getting on with Kanji. After 2 weeks she can write Hiragana and if she can even only read kanji, at this pace ... wow.

It's just like teaching a japanese kindergarden kid. Now, she is writing down all the songs that she has remembered and wants some more...