the cod looks yummy, but the chips look like they came from the freezer! bleh!

I went looking for a pic to show you what real fish and chips looks like, (im scottish so i know), but ended up drooling too much. And then for no real reason a box of pg tips appeared in my google image results and now im really homesick.

I hate the place, but bloody hell i could do with a fish supper and a nice cup of tea about now. :'(

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite chippies (+ 'restaurant') gives you a bowl of chopped up raw onions. Salt, vinegar, raw onions on your chips, pie and gravy with mushy peas.

I dream of it sometimes, it is so good.

Back on topic, I wouldn't bother myself much with the 'cultural' angle you mentioned. Forget that, enjoy a bit in Tokyo or Sapporo and choose on the snow/mountain.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Back on topic, I wouldn't bother myself much with the 'cultural' angle you mentioned.

For a two-week trip, I'd go the other way and suggest Hakuba then last two or three days in Nozawa. Its not an expensive journey and can be done in the evening without missing a day.

Lots of people seem to like Nozawa.

Found this from the Guardian:

Quote:
Number of fish and chip shops in Britain ...8,600

Meals sold last year ...250 million

Fish popularity league table...

Cod 61.5%

Haddock 25%

Whiting 6%

Most portions of fish and chips sold in a day from one shop...4,000

50% of us eat fish and chips once a month

14% eat fish and chips once a week

The Harry Ramsden chain, first established in Guiseley,West Yorkshire in 1928, and now owned by Compass, uses 10 million pounds of potatoes a year.They also get through: 2.5 million pounds of fish, 46,000lb salt,and 16,000 bottles of vinegar. Jeffrey Archer, Margaret Thatcher, John Major and Jimmy Saville have all eaten there.

There used to be a Harry Ramsden here. It was quite good. But it folded under the crushing blandness of a fish n chip restaurant in the one place on earth where you can eat the best of whatever has been invented*.

*Caveat: Doner Kebabs not included.

In Victoria the main fish at fish and chip shops was shark. Mostly gummy sharks. It's diversified a bit more in recent years though due to the shark populations getting rather low.

p5316snz.jpg

Elephant fish - best from the Akaroa fish n chip shop.

So, if you catch a 2 hour train between airports in tokyo, then fly for 2 hours to sapporo, and then a 2.5 hour coach to niseko - then it is easier to get to Hakuba than Niseko

Problem solved Andrew.

Hurry up on the flight front - gotta get those good deals while you can - they might all be gone already anyway.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Does the train take 2 hours between Narita and Haneda? omg what about the airport Limosuine transfer bus?

That is what I was told - dunno, never been to tokyo, and now we won't be going this trip either.

Airport Limousine: 64-72minutes depending on direction, also variations due to traffic.

Train may well take that long, as the service is not direct. But why would you? If you are needing to transfer then Airport Limousine is the easiest and quickest method.