1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I don't care for the idea myself but I can certainly see why one or two places do it. Not in the least bit ignorant. Simply a business decision going for a niche market and making themselves stand out from other places.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The outrage is in this and the other thread where the same conversation is going on. One or the other or both, can't remember and on my way out.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
but are completely offended that I suggest skiers could do the same??

Not 'offended' at all.

'Pretentious skier' is fine too.

Know lots myself.

Don't really care that much actually.

And anyway thats not really the point is it.

I must admit that I don't like the idea of "exclusiveness" and the japanese being that way. I personally think they are an unhappy race and feeling treated, or getting yourself treated that way makes you special and that's like a treatment to your contentment. I know it's just the way people are - some people are so territorial and scoff at new things as "it show the shallowness of one's personalty" "trendy" but on the other hand gotta have the latest gear of your own interested activity.

I just thought it would be a great idea to open some days in the week, or a block of weeks to snowboarders in these "skier only resorts"

I think I am being PROGRESSIVE, FAIR, UNDERSTANDING and catering to the NICHE. As a matter of fact this idea is the NICHE OF THE NICHE.

I'm really tired of this N-word-marketing-word especially so if it is to satisfy the minority nazi-ski crowd, selling it as " For the Mature, Adult skiers' resort" which is exactly what you see on okushiga website.

You know, THERE ARE LADIES DAY, or OLDIE"S DAY at resorts. Why not SNOWBORDER"S DAY at these resorts. At lest that makes it anti-discriminatory!

スキー専用ã ã‹ã‚‰å®‰å¿ƒ

You can feel safe BECAUSE they are no boarders

Err, isn't that scaremongering?

(As a father, I want pro-active patrolling, not appeals to prejudice)

If you buy a lift ticket at Shiga Kogen, it gives you access to

X resorts if you ski, but

X minus two (three?) resorts if you snowboard

Isn't that unfair? Shouldn't snowboarders get a discount?

You want to tear apart crappy marketing slogans do you Mr Wiggles?

Have fun with that!

As for the Shiga Kogen lift ticket, perhaps so.

But that issue certainly doesn't make an individual resort's decision to be skiers-only in any way 'ignorant'.

Spending a marketing budget to promote a resort as "skiers only" and then having a "snowboarders day" seems a rather silly idea to me.

A friend of mine works at Naspa in winter. I met him today and talked about this.

He told me that the number of skiers at the resort have increased each year the last few years.

At most other resorts in Yuzawa, the same town, the total number of skiers/snowboarders has decreased.

Creekboy,

How come when I am on ski I don't get yelled at by boarders

but when boarding I get it from skiers?

I get "nearly" ran into a lot by skiers and it always seems to be my fault when it's a skier.

wink

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Spending a marketing budget to promote a resort as "skiers only" and then having a "snowboarders day" seems a rather silly idea to me.

It makes it unique and special. Open minded
Quote:
It makes it unique and special.

No it does not.
It does the opposite, surely.
It dilutes the 'concept' and may put off those people they are trying to appeal to.

And, who goes to a ski resort simply because they "are open minded", whatever that means. I wouldn't know who is or who isn't anyway, I7m pretty sure most of the general public wouldn't either.
lol

"You go ski for concept"

Of course not, what a ridiculous comment.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was talking about the 'concept' that the management of the resort have when they go out to spend their marketing budget. You know, a plan if thats what you want to call it. In the case of that resort, to appeal to skiers and promote themselves to those people.

I might not like not being able to board Okushiga if I was at Shiga Kogen, that's a good point.

Whatever. I must admit I find this quite tiresome, so, for that reason, I'm out. And off for a bike ride. wave

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
rollabout

I bet these places really wish they had some of you experts working for them.
That would sort out all the wrongs, for sure.

Funny.
Apart from Jynxx's original (and I suppose half serious) post I don't think any of the boarders in this thread are trying to 'sort out the ill's of ski resort management'.
Just have a discussion.

I'd really like to hear what it is about skiers only that appeals to those who go. As I said before I have experienced a few intolerant older skiers and can well imagine their views - but rather than toddle along with my own beliefs never asking the question it would be great to hear the REAL advantages.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

It makes it unique and special. Open minded

I am with Muika on this.
If you are making your point of difference exclusivity - then you would be silly to dilute that.
But if there is benefit in having a skier exclusive resort, would not those same benefits be there for a snowboarder only resort...? If not, why not? [serious question]

I didn't say being skier only was ignorant. Depending on the number of anti-snowboard folks out there, it may be a brilliant idea from a commercial viewpoint.

I simply said "skier-only" marketing like the example I showed is based on ignorance. You see it all over, but I don't like scaremongering. That's all.

What and why I said been called ridiculous and silly, confused I give it back to you muika.

I just questioned "Is it not for the benefit of snow-goers and the business that caters for, how the business should be "open" to both parties?" I mean by parties, business owners and operators, skiers and snowboarders.

The resort Can and Be pretty beneficial IF they have an Image of that resort being skier and/or boarder orientated. Even "skier-only" might help appeal to a wider snowboarding crowd when opened on a limited basis just because of the "Novelty". The place you don't get to go much.

No harm done to their promo image.

"You go ski for concept"

Of course not, what a ridiculous comment.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was talking about the 'concept' that the management of the resort have when they go out to spend their marketing budget. You know, a plan if thats what you want to call it. In the case of that resort, to appeal to skiers and promote themselves to those people.

Don't worry - even we understand you. Even though you ski. wink