32 degrees in Tokyo - first snow in Hokkaido!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to look increasingly likely the first snow to village level at Niseko will be the 26/27th of Oct. It'll be gret to see things turn white on the webcams for the first time!

Keep us posted, GN!

Have been keeping an eye on the weather charts, and it looks like a good strong, cold north-westerly airflow over Hokkaido for the first half of the coming week.

I suppose the snow won't hang around, but it'll be good to see some on the ground in Hirafu before November.

On that subject, have you any local webcam recommendations? The Niseko Now! ones seem to have changed...

Cheers

SdS

Beg your pardon, David. I must've been mistaken, but I thought I looked the other day and the mid-mountain Niseko cam (close to the King Triple) wasn't being displayed. I assume it's back up now. That's the really interesting one, of course, because it's a lot higher on the mountain.

Going through and checking all those webcam links - and finding new ones - must be a big job, but I know that a lot of SJ visitors really appreciate the effort.

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pre-season Now reports re-starting in earnest.

Cheers

SdS

Yes, it was coming down nice and hard when I left home this morning to head to Chitose at around 6am. It will probably turn to rain during the day today and start snowing again later tonight.

RobBright, my elderly (and wise grandpa ) neighbors say its a about right for this time of year. The snow will be gone by the weekend as it will warm up again to around 13 or 14 degrees over the next few days. We should start seeing regular snow falls by mid Nov. Fingers crossed it is sooner :-)

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Yeah, saw that on TV. Is that usual for this time of year?

Apparently, the weather said that the weather we're (in yokohama that is!), is end of November weather. biggrin

It's about normal, although the past several years have been a bit lighter and later. The dropping temperature gradient and the somewhat sudden and heavy arrival of first snow were rather abrupt this year though.

Looking at the snowfall record for Kutchan there's only been 19 years out of the last 58 that have recorded 1cm or more snow in October. So around 1 in every 3 years.

If you look at Sapporo there's only been 9 years where more than 1cm has been recorded in October since 1953. So it's fairly uncommon for there. There have been periods of 10 years between more than 1cm being recorded in Sapporo in Oct.