32 degrees in Tokyo - first snow in Hokkaido!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certianly going to get cold but not a lot of moisture forecast so don't know about lots of snow. Hopefully Hokkaido will do it's thing and confound the forecast and snow lots.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
GN was right - no real activity in these parts. Asahidake/Daisetsuzan-sanmyaku got some snowfall.

We got pretty good falls in this region but it's a mostly a mild outlook for the next week. Liking the look of a system to develop later next week with possibly a major cold outbreak across the country by the weekend.
Originally Posted By: Go Native

We got pretty good falls in this region but it's a mostly a mild outlook for the next week. Liking the look of a system to develop later next week with possibly a major cold outbreak across the country by the weekend.

Hi GN, just wondering where you see the weather forecast, would love to know if possible.
Thanks in advance
Originally Posted By: sand
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Hi GN, just wondering where you see the weather forecast, would love to know if possible.
Thanks in advance

I use a number of forecast products but for the system I'm talking about above I'm looking at the Unisys one

http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/9panel/gfsx_500p_9panel_easia.html

I also use this one quite a lot

http://wxmaps.org/pix/ea.850.html

If you need any assistance in how to read the maps let me know.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
bloody cold today (relatively) round these parts

It was 3c this morning where we live! Even the dog refused to go outside. wink

its bloody cold, I missed the digital thermometer display when coming back into Fuj so didn't catch what it is at the mo....but its def the coldest day so far

Coming from the north east coast of Scotland, I know what cold what feels like and yeah its nothing like that, but after 4 years here living in a sweltering climate (for me razz ), when winter comes and is coupled with the paper thin walls, no central heating and zero insulation.......I'm cold! smile

The Siberian high shows litte sign of becoming dominant over the next week. Unfortuately until this happens there is little prospect of any prolonged cold or snow to get the season under way. Do you know why this is the case this year GN? Is it a common feature of La Nina?

I'm honestly not that sure. It's really hard to find much literature on the effects of La Nina on winters in Japan (well at least in english). I know that there is a correlation between La Nina years and the Siberian high setting up a bit further south near the northern border of Mongolia. Currently it's been even further south than that with a lot of low pressure systems forming up north where normally it would be high pressure.

I wouldn't be worried or anything at this stage. 2004 was the warmest November on record in most parts of Japan, including up here in Hokkaido. It went on to be the snowiest season we've recorded up here in the last decade.