In Japan, do people generally buy rounds of drinks in pubs/bars?

It's an interesting system - I like it sometimes and then I don't in others with one or two people I know who try to take advantage of the system and kindness of others and wangle out of them whenever possible. Obviously I try to avoid such people for the most part.

How do people pay for drinks and meals generally in Japan anyway?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes lots of splitting within the group though I know a fair few people who will pay for what they have if it's just going out for meal/drink.

The everyone pays the same can seem very unfair when some people eat and drink next to nothing while others pig out on both.

We tend to go with the flow, but there is always at least one person you know/spend time with who dodges a round isn't there?!

Our recent Thredbo trip we had an interesting thing going.

We were all happy to shout/happy to go rounds/didn't count pennies...so we all threw in $200 into 'the kitty', held by one guy - 'the kitty' paid for everything, drinks/food/tips/petrol... When the kitty was running low it was announced and everyone threw in another $200. It was the most simple and happy go lucky trip we have ever had money-wise.

On the Saturday night while we were out to dinner Papa got up and went outside to call home and listen to a big dog race we had a runner in...she won...a 5 figure win...so we gave the 'kitty' a break and dinner was on the 'puppy' that night.

People who try to rort the system and take advantage of their mates are rarely thought well of.

Originally Posted By: thursday
how much is a pint these days?

Too much. Average of $10 in Oz. Still kicking around 2.50pound back home.

Originally Posted By: thursday
it used to be 70p for a pint of snakebite at the union bar.

How i dont miss snakebite! bright red/pink vomit scares the living sh!t out of you the first time it happens!

Snakebite is just lager and cider though, isn't it? So its yellow, but a curiously murky/cloudy yellow as if its trying to tell you something. Like "this is not good for you!" The coloured variants are when you stick something else in. In my neck of the woods, it was blue Bols for a "green monster" or Pernod and black for a "purple meanie". Both normally resulted in calling Hughie on the porcelain telephone.

The only thing that struck me about Japanese and bills was the tendancy for people to calculate to the nearest one yen. I'm usually in the mood for more after a couple, so I used to get wound up watching people faff about with shrapnel instead of heading off somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Snakebite is just lager and cider though, isn't it? So its yellow, but a curiously murky/cloudy yellow as if its trying to tell you something. Like "this is not good for you!" The coloured variants are when you stick something else in. In my neck of the woods, it was blue Bols for a "green monster" or Pernod and black for a "purple meanie".

Snakebite and Black was the norm at my uni, so only ever refered to as snakebite. I remember a friend started drinking Guinness and Black, he didn't like the taste of Guinness so was trying to ease himself into it, because he thought Guinness was a cool drink......looooooser.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Both normally resulted in calling Hughie on the porcelain telephone.

haha...i like it.

Always do rounds when I am with friends. Gotta be on the same drinks but, beer or spirits. Any special orders and you are opting out. No way I am forking out 14 bucks for a Vodka and Redbull when I am on biru.

That's a good system MB. We had a 'Fine' system last year in Japan, you could self nominate future fines and just pay up. Given that breathing, not breathing, falling over and not falling over were all finable offences. Most just payed up in advance smile

Yeah I 2nd that snakebite and blackcurrant was called diesel. If there was no blackcurrant then it was just snakebite. My union used to be 1 pound a pint for Hofmeister....nasty lager but drunk in plentiful quantities due to be being cheap.

When we are going to the pub, usually whoever is first in the door gets the round in then we take turns from there. I have a mate who either tries to wriggle to the back of the crowd upon approach to the pub so that he doesn't buy the first round or blatantly stands at the bar until someone else buys the round. He's a real tight wad, on other peoples round he'll drink Guiness or some other higher priced drink but on his own he'll drnk the cheapest lager....the result of which is that I avoid gettng into a round with him

Not keen on rounds myself now, it makes things more complicated than they should be.

There's one dude back home who I think takes detailed notes of who has what, and past history. He is very annoying in that respect and it makes going out with him in the group a real pain.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I have a mate who either tries to wriggle to the back of the crowd upon approach to the pub so that he doesn't buy the first round or blatantly stands at the bar until someone else buys the round. He's a real tight wad, on other peoples round he'll drink Guiness or some other higher priced drink but on his own he'll drnk the cheapest lager....the result of which is that I avoid gettng into a round with him

Sounds a bit like the guy I know.

Hard to shake the stingy bastard/annoying feeling hey.

Used to like rounds when I lived back in the UK, apart from the occasional guy like mentioned above.

Changed my view on it now and not as keen. I'd rather just get my drinks and people get theirs. Seems the best way to me. Doesn't mean we are less of friends because of it.

And of course some people just seem to have a way of trying to take advantage and some people seem to always end up being taken advantage of.

I've seen friendships (or what they thought were friendships!) end over silliness over this lot.

But it sounds like so much fun

Quote:

The etiquette surrounding this practice is as follows

Offering money to the person buying a round, failing to take a turn at buying a round, refusing a drink or staying clear of the practice entirely and just buying one's own drinks may all be perceived as impolite.

It is generally accepted that not everyone will stay long enough to buy a round, instead of trying to avoid being in the round it is better to accept the drink with thanks. This is done on the understanding that at a later date this might be reciprocated.

Etiquette demands that items of the same or relatively similar value should be requested by everybody. Drinks sometimes vary considerably in cost and if you regularly drink an expensive drink (e.g. a Cocktail or Belgian Beer), it is considered polite to offer to make up the additional cost.

Round members will be aware if you fail to take your turn, or choose to always be last in taking your turn, or only offer when many in the round do not require a drink, and this will affect your reputation.

If you are short of money and cannot afford to buy a round, it is best to offer to buy your own drinks. In this way, members of the round are given a choice whether to include you in their round.

Members only have to go through the 'buying procedure' once each unless the session is sufficient in length that a person's turn comes back around.

There is often a bit of good-natured argument about who will buy the next round.

It should be pressed upon you to buy a round irrespective of whether you are male or female.

In some situations this might not apply, such as when there are too many people or it is understood that you are only going to be having one or two drinks.

It is not considered acceptable to purchase a round in which you do not participate.

In the culture of the United States Military, possession of a challenge coin can be used to determine who buys a round of drinks. One individual of a group lays down their coin, and all else present must lay down their coins as well. Anyone who does not have a coin with them must buy a round. If everyone can produce a coin, the challenger must buy a round.