What about the difficulty getting away when people want to keep buying rounds? That can get really frustrating. Papa enjoys a beer, but he hates to offend his mates even more than he enjoys a beer ... just ducking into the Rugby Club to pick something up or drop something off can see him stuck there for hours as beers keep appearing in front of him.

Well...

That's what he tells me, anyway. lol

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I have one friend who seems to be cagey and awkward with money and rounds - he may not actually be but I am convinced he is because there always seems to be an atmoshpere and and issue about it. While other friends that atmosphere just doesn't seem to happen.

Yappari, he's a stingy git.

I kind of like the system, when it works.

My work also charges the ladies less for the enkais.

I always need to make up on the booze coz I don't eat much at all at those traditional set meal enkais.

If I know I can't stay long, I'll buy a round in early, but only with mates.

Rounds and true mates go hand in hand. Maybe pushing it to rounds and true mates and their birds as well. As long as the bird buys a round too.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
If I know I can't stay long, I'll buy a round in early, but only with mates.

Rounds and true mates go hand in hand. Maybe pushing it to rounds and true mates and their birds as well. As long as the bird buys a round too.

yeah, would agree that this is acceptable.......the birds NEVER buy rounds though!! veryangry wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright
They do. But not with their money. wink

yeah but she pays my best mate.....not me! If she were to offer "services" for monies paid, then I would be a bit more sympathetic........prob wouldn't be mates with my best mate anymore though!! smile
Originally Posted By: thursday
you're supposed to keep her in beers so's she'll keep going out with you.

if she belongs to you, but if she belongs to your mate, she (or he) should be buying her round

Look out... I agree with TB. [ducks]

Papa can buy me drinks without the need for reciprocation, as it is we share an income, so it makes no difference who pays as it comes out of the same pool of funds. But he likes to be the man and buy them.

If you are at the pub with couples I have no problem with all the guys buying the rounds in turn and plying the ladies with alcohol with hopes of sweet thanks later that evening from their respective partners..

However if I was the lone female or one of a few solo flying females in a group of guys and rounds were being bought I would feel awful if I was bought a drink and did not reciprocate.

Are these not common sense rules of round buying etiquette where women are concerned?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I agree with TB.

However if I was the lone female or one of a few solo flying females in a group of guys and rounds were being bought I would feel awful if I was bought a drink and did not reciprocate.

Are these not common sense rules of round buying etiquette where women are concerned?

wise words from a servant......Papa Bear truly is a lucky master!!

wink

In my U.S. drinking days, the common practice was for everyone to throw $2 on the bar (yeah, it was a LONG time ago) and we'd all drink til that was gone, then thrown down some more. Ladies were not expected to throw in, although applauded when they chose to do so.

Buying rounds is just as practical -- barring the occasional sponger maybe even more practical among good friends.

But this threw me for a loop:

``In the culture of the United States Military, possession of a challenge coin can be used to determine who buys... Etc.''

Never heard of this during my four years as a GI. Perhaps it's one of the rare customs that predate me, or more likely came into play long after I was gone. Interesting concept, though I'd be surprised to find anyone, GI or civilian, without a coin or two in pocket.

Ctrl-Z, would I be wrong in guessing that it's a matter of matching with the same coin? So if one person puts down a penny, anyone without a penny must buy?

Most of the bars I ventured into back then could easily pass for working men's clubs -- didn't see too many bankers, doctors or lawyers, But the only `rule' I remember was that you were expected to not become embarrassingly sloppy drunk.