• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

biggrin taking my best friend out to lunch today for her birthday.

Gotta love lifetime friendships. We broke a picket fence between out two houses and climbed through and struck up a friendship for life when she threw a block of firewood high in the air to show me how strong she was. It hit me in the head and split my head open. [yeah yeah....that must be what happened...]

We were 3yrs old.

Went to kindy, primary and high school together.

At 41 we are still best friends...she is more like my sister.

Gonna be a great lunch regardless of what we eat.

Well I didn't split my friends head open but we did have a yummy lunch.

I had what they called a prawn caesar salad - it was BBQ prawn skewers on a Caesar like salad, couple of anchovies, topped with a poached egg. And it was very tasty.

Also was very naughty and had a creme brulee pie, as it WAS her birthday, all washed down with a glass of red and copious glasses of bubbly water.

Now I think I need to go do some exercise to work off my naughty lunch.

Originally Posted By: roscoe
Sounds thumbsup like a great lunch to help that shoulder recover.have a great time in thredbo.

Yes. You are probably right.
And I did give the new exercise bike a spin today amongst other things ... so Yay for me.

Thredbo will be heaps of fun whether there is fresh snow or not - I am bound to have a blast biggrin. Thanks roscoe.

And hey! You have yourself a merry old time over there in UNZED wink
Originally Posted By: thursday
"And I did give the new exercise bike a spin today amongst other things ... so Yay for me."

Where'd you go? Down the chippie?

It's a stationary bike Thursday.
I didn't actually go anywhere. I watched the news and Antiques Roadshow. lol

no no .... not wasted energy.

It is combating Pizza Butt. biggrin

Back on topic:

Had a nice (and healthy) Vietnamese Chicken Salad at the local bookcafe with Papa (he had a Caesar Salad) - walked down and walked back so that sort of negated the little lunch we did have. BONUS!

I was away for 6 weeks and me and #1 both lost our appetite. I had been looking forward to eating fish and chips at Brunswick Heads but I couldn't. We both lost 5kg. Now we are catching up on eating.

Cooked up huge Zaru-Soba with Tempura, yesterday. Roll-your-own Sushi day before. Our stomach had shrank but now it's back to normal after 2 weeks. Went swimming to let some steam off ...

Zaru soba is by far my favourite Japanese dish. Do you make you're own soba Jynxx? Now that I've moved into my new house I'm seriously thinking about building a soba dojo in the back yard... making soba is an art I really want to perfect!

BM, I went to a Soba Dojo myself a few years back in Katsushika (tokyo shitamachi)

The trick is in adding water making the dough.. I've seen Masters whacking the ball, and others kneading gently. Doesn't seem to make much difference in the end. You gotta get a special bowl to mix in the dough and that and the cutting knife is expensive.

The rolling pin I made from a old curtain rail.

In Japan you can get the Soba-ko (buckwheat flour) easy enough, and don't try and make a 100% Soba (too difficult to stick) mix in 20%~30% wheat for starters. You can't compare it with the dried stuff.

You probably know all this stuff.

The Tsuyu. mmmmm... Everyone has their secret, here. hehehe

when you make soba, its 80-20. That is the basic amount, as taught to me by my soba teacher. The experts can make 100%, but have to be very delicate and the preparation time is also longer.

Dried stuff is made the same way as fresh, um, except that it is dried.

Tsuyu, piss easy to make. There is no secret except for the amounts of dashi and soy sauce, sugar and mirin.