Hi!

Starting to think my trip this year is a bad idea - 130Yen to £1! WTF. Wish i turned 30 in 2007 (240Y to £1!).

Trying to sort out my itinery and it's causing me some probs. I was hoping to glean some advice or better options.

I'm flying in Tokyo (Narita) on the 15th March 2010 with a view to:

• 3 days in Tokyo (districts and a day to the Ghibli museum)

• 3 days in kyoto

• 2 days Tokyo with a trip to DisneySea or land

then travel to Nagano (not sure what resort yet)

• 3 days snowboarding there

then travel to Hokkaido (most likely Niseko)

• 7 days there (or will I get bored? should I split more with Nagano?)

travel back to tokyo

• 1 day dossing

leave (6th April)

I'm struggly to see how £500 internal flight from Haneda to New Chitose (for Niseko) is even a remote consideration.

I did want to mix it up with the different terrains of Nagano and Hokkaido.

I'm wondering if it's possible to catch an overnight from Tokyo to Nagano and then onto Niseko and then back to Tokyo with the JR pass? I imagine (especially with the 3 days in Kyoto that this would be a cheap and best option.

I'd like to hear and am happy to take advice about my itinery. The city part will be with a friend then I'm snowboarding on my own.

The other think is what do I do with my snowboard for the first 10days!? The airport lockers look too small and I don't want to travel around with it. I read about the Takkyubin service which is cool but wonder if they'd keep it somewhere until i got there to collect?

Got no hotels booked so am open to suggestions. The bit I'm nervous about is the snowboarding on my own. I'd like to meet people but am not into the whole party/drinking vibe. And whilst am happy to lodge with others I'd really like a room to sleep to myself. Also as my Japanese is non-existent I need to be mindful of that!

It's a lot there - but I guess this will remove the need to clarify. Please help turn my 15year dream into a memorable reality!

Thanks!

OK...

My tips:

Give Disney the flick - you are in the UK - you can duck across to Paris Disney at some time in the future - my eldest went to Tokyo Disney (and he has also been to Cali and Paris) and said it was the most crowded/longest queues of them all... [ka-ching, theres some savings right there]

Will you get bored in Niseko....

Well I certainly didn't (in 3 weeks, my 3rd trip).

The boy went back for 3 more weeks and never left Grand Hirafu/Hanazono that 2nd trip this season. We tripped to Rusutsu and also did a fair bit at Annupuri and Higashiyama - you can also add Moiwa - so there is more than enough to keep you going for 7 days.

It is late in the season. I have been to Niseko in April - it is spring but good.

I will probs be in Hakuba around the same time (just ducking over for a few days) so I sure hope the snow sticks around for us.

Travel wise - there are more experts here - but I think the hakubus is cheaper than the shinkansen out to Nagano. I believe the flights up to Hokkaido are usually not much more than rail, and a hell of a lot more convenient.

Hope my little bit of info helps.

Based on my current trip, but please understand this is my FIRST trip and Im sure other's input will be of more value then me....

I would do Tokyo and Kyoto last as geograghically Kyoto is futherest from the snow and that way you also maximise your time on the snow earliest as possible that late in the season and as a bonus you can then have most of your stuff shipped direct to the airport so you arent hauling it around Tokyo. From what I have heard you can get much of Kyoto in over two days but the 3 days in Tokyo will be well spent, especailly if you can fly out the night of the 3rd, thus saving you a night's accomadation.

So maybe you could do this TD.

UK - Tokyo

TKY - Niseko (depending on arrival time Fly staight to Sapparo)

Niseko - TKY - Hak (can do in one big day)(Fly then bus from Haneda to TKY, Shink to Nagano, then bus to Hakuba)

Send boards bag etc to airport

Hakuba - Kyoto via (bus and Shink)

Kyoto - Tokyo (Shink)

Tokyo - Home

Or delete the Hakuba/Nagano leg all together or the Niseko and hang in Hakuba, you will save time in travel that way.

Make sure you buy your JR Rail pass ASAP before leaving as it saves a HEAP of $$$$$, I didnt :(

If you search my username the guys here have been really helpful sorting out how to travel some of those legs for me, incl fairs about 30% of what you are being quoted for the Haneda - Niseko flights.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/355126/Hakuba_to_Niseko.html#Post355126

Also great info here on what to see in Tokyo. Not sure of your budget but I really reccomend the Citadine in Shinjuku (Tokyo) to stay in, if booked on an internet discount site price is good and its a 5 min walk from the rail line that will take you directly to a lot of the places you'll want to see. Thanks to other's here for that one smile

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/354945/Must_do_s_in_Tokyo.html#Post354945

Hope this helps.

Hey mamabear, thanks for the tip. It certainly does help!

I have been to Hong Kong Disney (cos it was cheap £20ish) thought it was okay and had a nice day (a lot in part to very little queing).

Was entertaining DisneySea as this is (i read) unique to Japan. But defo not against skipping it altogether.

panhead_pete thanks for the links - will defo review and take stock.

You logic on reversing the iteinery is a sound one but I didnt mention that I'll be travelling with friend. She is staying for 9days and will leave when I then go snowboarding on my todd. So kinda stuck in that sense.

Not sure whether to skip Nagano completely. Just that it would seem a shame to go so far and not experience the variety the two areas offer. Also I thought it would be helpful to break up the long journey to get up north.

I plan to get the JR pass but am now confused as to whether I can use it or not to get up there. I read that you essentially make back your money in about 3 trips. Since I am planning on going to Kyoto and now maybe Hiroshima it would seem to be the best option (in limiting additional travel expense).

All advice welcome and thanks so much for the help! Looking forward (with some trepidation!) to it.

Tokyo to Nagano is only 2.5hrs by shinkansen and covered in the rail pass.

There is a night train from Ueno, Tokyo, to Sapporo, and takes about 17hrs but that isn't covered I think in the rail pass.

You could ride the shink up to Hachinoe then do a couple of changes on to local trains to get across to Hokkaido, that would be covered by the rail pass. If you are going to Hiroshima and Kyoto and back to Tokyo then I would say that its well worth getting it anyway, then if you wanted you could even try out Yuzawa in Niigata, or one of the many other resorts on the way up to Hokkaido

One thing to bare in mind not that it will make a huge difference to travel times if you use the shink, but the rail pass cannot be used on the Nozomi shinkansen, which is the fastest one! And certain holidays such as the 22nd of march you may or may not be able to use the pass. I believe some people have had problems with the pass not being accepted on certain days. Otherwise its good for everywhere. Make sure also to buy the ticket that covers you for the areas of the country that you intend going as cheaper tickts are available but they may not cover you for all areas.

Yes they are but the Nozomi has the fastest top speed among all of the shinks and stops the least hence the Japan rail pass can't be used for it. And because of the speed it costs more.

If you compare the fastest train "Nozomi" with the slowest shink "Hikari" between Tokyo and Kyoto, the Nozomi will arrive around 30 mins earlier.

You have to be careful getting the right pass as well.....best to get the one that covers the whole country- its not actually that clear between JR East/ West etc - or should I say it certainly SHOULD be clearer

I thought folks from overseas got cheap internal flights?

Its low season in Hakuba and Niseko (I guess), so book a place to stay and send your gear to them from the airport when you get to Japan. I wouldn't bother with any accom who can't keep it for you, though you should understand that the room they use mightn't be locked.

How important are the snow conditions as you will be well into Spring.

You may want to consider Happo then Niseko then the tourist things.

If it gets too warm it will rain.

One thing,

Ghibli museum needs to be booked in advance. Last time we were there was like 2 weeks in advance. Don't know if you can do it over the internet but in Tokyo you can do it at Lawsons supermarket.

Maybe you do that asap when you get to Tokyo for the days when you are flying back.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I thought folks from overseas got cheap internal flights?

Its low season in Hakuba and Niseko (I guess), so book a place to stay and send your gear to them from the airport when you get to Japan. I wouldn't bother with any accom who can't keep it for you, though you should understand that the room they use mightn't be locked.

We've used Takkyubin for each of the last 3 trips to Japow-land. It is a huge bonus, being able to "backpack" for a week seeing sights etc without having to cart around the skis and gear.

I agree, I'd not be bothered with any accom that will not store your gear for you. That said, however, we always ensure that our gear is in locked and sealed bags - we use a system of cable-ties and label seals (the sticky labels which we sign and date) to ensure that zips haven't been tampered with.

Never had a problem, but these are deterrents. (You did know that bag zips can easily be opened using just a ball-point pen, didn't you?) and then reclosed with the runner afterwards. The system we use (bought commercially) ties the runners to one end of the run, easy as!

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the tips.

Defo sticking with the Takyubin option and have now switched from hard suitcase to dufflebag stylee thing (hopefully easier to cart around).

Went with the all country JR pass as just going to Kyoto is out of the East JR pass.

Sorted the Ghibli stuff already. Still no accom though! Given that I'm due to fly out in two days its a tad late. Haven't even looked at Nagano/Niseko accom yet! SHould I be worried or is there 'always' accom available?

On a side last time I went away I booked my lift pass in the UK for apparently cheaper than what it would have been in resort (USA). Is this true of Japan and would it work for or against my favour? Bearing in mind I'm planning on going to two different areas.

TD-max, from what I know - at this time of year you should be ok to get some accommodation in both Hakuba and Niseko, but beware the weekends, you should be OK, but I would think the weekends will be more heavily booked than the weeks.

Lift Passes - buy when you get there.

We got an advance deal on our youngest kids passes, but it was actually more economical for us to buy ours and the older kids when we were there. (Niseko).

And in doing my research for Hakuba (heading there myself on the 24/25/26 March) - you have to get a pass at the ticket office every day even if you buy say a 3 day pass in advance - so no advantage to buying in advance at all.

There will be no probs with accomm in Niseko, I know that for sure.

There's not always accomm available though in certain peak periods but currently no problem at all.

No probs with Hakuba accom at that time of year. I just had over two weeks at the Arctic White Horse and cant rate the place high enough. Look in the accom section here for their details if you think its the place for you too.

I stayed at the Citadine in Shinjuku (Tokyo) and really recommend that too. Its just down the road from 2 railway stations on one of the major lines, ultra modern rooms and Shinjuku is an awesome spot. Search on the discount hotel sites, the best rate I found was on Wotif.

Buying your lift tickets on the day is the go as you may want to ride any of the 8 resorts at Hakuba depending on conditions. You may even get tickets as part of your accom.

Have a great trip and make sure you post here as you go so we can follow your fun.