A new Chairman of the 'Board feature, "The Lost Dimension in the Search for Pow - Freshies in Space and Time", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/chairman-26.html

"Where is the powder?" Why is this question so difficult to answer? Is the powder in Hokkaido? Yes, and no. Nagano? Yes and no. Yamagata, Aomori, Niigata, Fukushima, Gunma, or even Hyogo? Yes and no. It is under the fence on the far right? On the far left? Under the Gondola? Through those trees? On the closed run? Yes, and no.

"Where is the powder?" We’ve spent so many months looking for the answer that we don’t even bother to consider the question anymore and therefore we fail to realize that the question is seriously flawed. Powder, the rarest, most precious, and most unstable of God’s creations - snow in it’s greenest, goldest, and bluest moment - doesn’t exist as much in space as it does in time. The question we should ask is not "Where is the Powder?" but "When is the powder?"

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/chairman-26.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

When I went last season, it only covered the morning session. The gondola stopped frequently,while they are testing it before opening, so I was able to do about 4 runs before all the people started show up.

Sounds interesting. I can see the appeal of having the mountain and guides to yourself, rather than just the early ski the other thread was going on about.

You really do not need a guide. There are basically two places you can ride for this. I was the only guest so the guide and myself just rippped the hills, but if you have others do not match to your speed, you are into verrry slooow rides. After this they'd open the top part (okenashi) for hike ups. By then, the runs were pretty much ripped up within 30min of opening the gondola to the mass.

I didn't know about that, but I agree with the Chairman the wrong question is often being asked.

Nice one. Not enough to get me up in the morning and spend money though...

thing is, in Japan, asking "where is the powder" is not so off base...

if you know where to look you can find stashes days after a dump...obviously, the morning after is a sure thing, but Japan, more than the US/Canada, gives you powder oppurtunities that are not dependantant on time!

danz

Green,

I didn't mean it that way. The place just is not big enough to warrant a guide (we did not carry anything with us, either) The size of the powder zone is about 2X of Saws and runs right next to the top quad chair and you can see the entire place from it. It like the mogul field at the top of Kagura, if you know what I mean.

It sounds like a lot of money to pay for what can be had elsewhere, all day, for the price of a weekday ticket (minus the riding tips from the guide of course).

Nice article though. I feel your joy \:D

Theres no way Id pay nearly 2man for 90 mins (not even when you factor in getting to the top) of powder. Sacrifice a precious day of nenkyu and go and rip it all day on a weekday until you cant rip no more. Seriously, thats the equivalent of 4 days riding for probably whats really 1 hr of powder. Not worth it in my book.

The powder is there, you just got to make a bit of effort to work out where is the best. Obviously morning is best but Ive had good pow days after its fallen. just my (humble) 5c

I agree with zwelgen...

20000 for 90 min...if I had that much money to blow on 90 min I would rather spend a bit more and do a serious heli-trip...in fact, a heli-trip would give you far more skiing/yen

danz