• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
I arrive at Hirafu carpark with a 1 min walk to my hotel.

Others, especially first time Niseko-ers have real probs finding their lodge if the lodge owners don't pick them up. I've seen this. Newbies wanting a taxi to get to "mid" Hirafu, ie, down the hill 300 meters.

So. Lodge owners, club together and have a Niseko shuttle to greet every bus arriving from the airport and shuttle the guests to your lodges. Much like a fixed route ski shuttle. So you owners don't need to do the pickups yourselves.

Most major accomm providers I know of will meet guests at the Hirafu carpark and offer a complimentary lift to their accomm. Not sure who doesn't?
Originally Posted By: stemik
one thing i would start on ...and it's free is customer service.
Lift attendants....smile and pass on a few comments.

Any particular places in mind? I've always found the lift attendants, and staff in general, quite friendly and attentive. But haven't been to all that many places yet.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I'm just saying that lodge owners don't need to do the pcikups themselves. Let a super shuttle do the rounds. Is that so hard to understand?

But there are so many different places to stay in so many parts of the village and each group can have a lot of luggage. Rounding everyone up on one bus wouldn't be overly efficient I wouldn't think. Most companies here have a small fleet of vans over winter and they are reasonably efficient at picking people up and getting them to their accomm. It's not a bad idea and may work for a group of lodges situated in a similar part of the village.
Originally Posted By: quattro
Do the resorts need to be responsible for what goes on off piste. I know of many resorts that have signs up "leaving resort property ski at you own risk".

At that point it should be up to me if I want to ski their or not.

To a degree, yes. From a business point of view, it'd be bad PR to just say "well, he went out of our patrolled area so we won't be rescuing or even searching for him"... and as a person, I think that's even worse to consider. A rescue effort requires a huge amount people and hours. If you look at it from a local perspective, it's like some people are lost in your backyard, whether you're legally responsible or not... you feel some degree of responsibility. Every resort in the world is the same, they want their visitors and guests to have a safe and enjoyable ski/board experience.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Originally Posted By: Ryoma
Basically; if there was going to be enough money to make a profit out of it, then they would do it. However, there needs to be a much much bigger demand. A dozen people every week wanting to go off-piste isn't really enough for most ski resorts.

I diagree...just look at Kagura, there are plenty of punters venturing backcountry. How many of them went specifically to Kagura because of such liberal policies?

I would love to see the figures for the Mizuno no Sawa and the number of participants. Just too bad they did not have the questionnaire available in English to get the foreign feedback.

*Without any real number crunching, I'm inclined to lean towards it not being very viable. While there are many non-Japanese guests wanting to go off-piste, there's barely anyone interested in the domestic market and the international market isn't enough to expand operations. Even at Nozawa we offer proper back country tours, but the days are pretty limited due to certain restrictions (guide needs to be a local etc) so it's not something we do everyday.

While I'm not 100% certain, I think the village is responsible for the resort and if people are injured and what not, there is a lot of pressure by official inquiries etc. It's really not something that anyone would volunteer to bear burden of. Again, it really depends on how the ski resort is run.

*This is with regards to Nozawa; I cannot really comment for other resorts.

While I understand that no one would just want to leave someone stranded in the bc I don't see what the problem would be with handing them a bill for the rescue service. In fact, many of the gates at Niseko have a list of prices for rescue services posted for all to see. The resort not wanting to be responsible for the rescue bills is completely understandable so this could be a good compromise I think...

At least some people pay... with rope duckers I imagine that no one pays when the rescue happens (especially if that's not an establised policy).

I've always been interested to know how they can enforce payment... suppose if you live in Japan all they would have to do is threaten to call your company.

You mean people who want to ski back country? There are plenty of us who want to do so legitimately and being well informed of the consequences gives most rational, responsible people a moment of reflection before doing so.

As it is now, people (who may be rational and responsible or irrational and irresponsible) are ducking the rope and may need rescue... at which point I imagine that the resort is stuck with the bill. If there is a gated entry point at a safer location (than just anywhere under the rope) with signs that explain exactly what would happen if you needed rescue than at least the resort can point to that as a reason to go after people who are unwilling to pay. They'll be able to at least recover some of the costs.

I don't think for a second that having gates encourages people to do dangerous things they normally wouldn't do (especially with signs, warnings, and posted rescue costs). Skiers and boarders who aren't skilled regularly avoid black runs for the same reason. For those who want to avoid it they can just pretend it's not there while those who enjoy bc can take advantage of it.

Well, either way those kinds of people are going to be ducking ropes. As an example, a small place like Nozawa could easily reach an agreement with the local fuzz to help them enforce the payment of rescue bills. I can imagine that some kind of trespassing laws would be broken so that at least the police would be able to get enough details about those who refuse to pay that they'd be able to pursue it further. I've boarded quite a bit of back country around Nozawa personally and yes, I've ducked ropes to do it... but I'm the kind of person who would take responsibility for my actions and pay for it. I also think that I'm knowledgable enough to do it safely.

I once witnessed some serious crazy crap from a group of boarders who had ventured into an area that was really challenging (cliff drops etc). They were so out of the league that they were stepping out of the boards and throwing them down the hill... (not one foreigner among them as well wink )

In Niseko it's clearly stated that if you require rescue outside of the resort boundary then you'll be hit with all the costs. Any call out through a gate will cost a minimum of Y50,000. If they actually need to get extra people, snowmobiles, helicopters, etc then the costs go through the roof.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
In Niseko it's clearly stated that if you require rescue outside of the resort boundary then you'll be hit with all the costs. Any call out through a gate will cost a minimum of Y50,000. If they actually need to get extra people, snowmobiles, helicopters, etc then the costs go through the roof.

Yup! And fair enough too.
It certainly kept me and the crew on the resort side of gates and testing our skills within the resort BEFORE being confident to go thru any gates.
And if we needed rescue (anyone can break a leg[or collar bone,hee hee] - no matter how well trained they are) then we would be more than prepared to pay the cost to the resort.

Sure - ya gonna get attitude strutting people who wont want to pay the rescue bill - but is there not something similar to a 'Fines Enforcement Registry' like we have in Aus. Fines unpaid will see your drivers license suspended. And if you've got a bill outstanding it will eventually end up in Debt collection and someone comes a-knocking a takes your telly, car, snowboard - whatever assets you have!

For oversea's visitors - flag their passport until the debt is paid. No more Japan for you Sunshine!!

lol Am I harsh?!