We're not talking about backcountry. We're talking about lift accessed sidecountry and treed areas within the resort boundary. The gate system at Niseko is a good example of lift accessed sidecountry. And the opening this year of Mizuno no Sawa is a good example of an treed gully in the resort.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Ryoma
Basically; if there was going to be enough money to make a profit out of it, then they would do it. However, there needs to be a much much bigger demand. A dozen people every week wanting to go off-piste isn't really enough for most ski resorts.

I diagree...just look at Kagura, there are plenty of punters venturing backcountry. How many of them went specifically to Kagura because of such liberal policies?

I would love to see the figures for the Mizuno no Sawa and the number of participants. Just too bad they did not have the questionnaire available in English to get the foreign feedback.
Originally Posted By: tripler
I'm a bit unclear what "opening up" the backcountry means in Japan. At Happo and Goyru 47, for example, BC is totally allowed and lots of people do it. But the resort doesn't do any avi control there or anything else to make it safer or more convenient. Yet noone would say the Hakuba backcountry is closed. So what does opening it up mean if the resort doesn't do anything?

Please tell me where at Happo backcountry is allowed.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
We're not talking about backcountry. We're talking about lift accessed sidecountry and treed areas within the resort boundary. The gate system at Niseko is a good example of lift accessed sidecountry. And the opening this year of Mizuno no Sawa is a good example of an treed gully in the resort.

Sidecountry (slackcountry) is lift accessed terrain outside of the resort boundaries. That means no patrol, ski/ride there and rescue/recovery at your own risk and expense.
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Please tell me where at Happo backcountry is allowed.

Anywhere above the top lift. As long as you don't come back into the resort area, you're backcountry and noone can touch you. Do YOU know what backcountry means? (it's not "skiing under the lifts")

But I wouldn't blame anyone for being confused because Japanese resort owners spread confusion with signs like "Backcountry not permitted here" in the middle of in-bounds areas.

Stemik - Yes yes yes!

It may have been because it was summer and there were not a whole lot of people riding lifts, but yesterday I went up the Kosi express at Thredbo and had lunch at Eagles Nest before returning on the lift (first time I have ever downloaded on that lift - nice view! - must remember to turn around more often!!)

Anyway - the lifties were SUPER friendly. So was the guy in the restaurant at the top - and chatty too....be not overly so. In fact everyone was really really smiley and happy and glad to serve. I was blown away.

It was really nice.

Was the first time 'ratherb'.

It was REALLY interesting to see it all naked though - never knew there were so many rocks underneath the piste! Only had a few hours there though.

But they are marketing themselves well as a summer destination, and the really friendly customer interaction will have people coming back for more. You can not underestimate the impact of customer service - good or bad. It is HUGE.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
You can not underestimate the impact of customer service - good or bad. It is HUGE.

I'm not so sure about that. I quite like bad customer service. But maybe that's because I consider myself partly french from living there a few years in my childhood. If someone gives off the attitude "I'm only here to make some money" I appreciate their honesty. All this "Have a nice day" American-style stuff makes me sick.

Good service to me is the kind that you don't really notice.

Have a great time, things go smoothly, an all round good experience, friendly but not too overpowering staff.

I arrive at Hirafu carpark with a 1 min walk to my hotel.

Others, especially first time Niseko-ers have real probs finding their lodge if the lodge owners don't pick them up. I've seen this. Newbies wanting a taxi to get to "mid" Hirafu, ie, down the hill 300 meters.

So. Lodge owners, club together and have a Niseko shuttle to greet every bus arriving from the airport and shuttle the guests to your lodges. Much like a fixed route ski shuttle. So you owners don't need to do the pickups yourselves.

I reckon Triplers attitude is the exact reason why France (Paris at least) was the LEAST favorite of my Euro destinations. lol

Papa was fine though - but I think that is because he spoke French and could give attitude as good as he got. Me? I was ready to jump on the train bound for Milano where *I* spoke the language and felt right at home.

Originally Posted By: spook
customer service? as far as menial jobs are concerned, i think japanese people are some of the most polite and friendly people in the world

For the most part - sure. Efficiency was the buzz word for us.

But the Lifties are often less than interested in the people (more interested in wiping the snow off the seat with the little brush) - even when little kiddies struggle they don't seem the least bit interested. Some of them anyway.

I had poor customer service at what I think is the only 5 star hotel in Canberra on our last trip - no room service (NONE) after 11pm, rude girl at check in, dirty room etc etc. We had booked there repeatedly prior. I filled in the feedback survey and never got so much as an email in reply. Right-oh....THIS trip I booked a different hotel 4.5 star, cheaper and more conveniently located. Arrived to friendly staff, quick check in, volunteered info such as undercover parking (extra cost) and breakfast (extra cost), foyer was filled with the beautiful smell of the florist sharing floor space. Room service with a smile, room was spacious, nothing was too much trouble. PERFECT - we will be back with the family. You got our business!!