Hey folks, my names Chris. longtime reader first time poster.

Looking for a little headsup from some of the gurus.

Ok so me and a couple buddies from Australia (21yo,21yo,22yo) planned on heading over for the winter on a working holiday, working at the snow resorts. To our dismay we havent heard anything and pretty much what was 4 months of excitement and rising hope, currently looks like a pile of doo.

We're still going through with our plans, since we've committed enough to warrant a 6 month "just wing-it" attitude. to the extent one of my mates has quit his job.

I've done a fair bit of research and we planned to start a month in tokyo then off to hakuba, nozawa onsen, yuzawa, then north to hokkaido.

Primarily what we're looking for is good consistent snow , powder days with plenty of off piste. Also good apres entertainment.

so to my questions:

1)Is it possible to get discounted accommodation at any of the snow resorts if we wish to stay for a month or so in a particular place?

2)How hard is it to find jobs in the snow resort areas, we have working holiday visas and can speak a little japanese, is it un-heard of for foreigners to get jobs in restaurants, bars or hotels?

3)Is there anyone on this forum that i could contact about work at a hotel that might offer some insight into how i should go about this?

If anyone could give me some ideas as to how they would travel using 6 months with about $13,000AUD in there pocket. i would love to hear it. I am in unchartered waters, I've been snowboarding all around the world, but going to a place where there's a slight language barrier scares me abit.

Thanks to anyone whos read my essay and can help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help with work but I say "what have you got to lose" You are young and this is probably one of the only times in your life you will get the opportunity to do something like this.

If you have a working visa then you are a step ahead.

Tokyo is not as cheap as staying in more country places - do you really want a month there? A few weeks might do it for you. I also think work prospects in Tokyo might be lower...(but I am no expert and well prepared to be corrected if my assumptions are incorrect).

From what I gather if you come with skills (barista, bar experience, resturant/wait staff/kitchen hand skills) and arre prepared to do whatever (included cleaning toilets) then you could well pick up some opportunities just by being there.

I would get my details out to all the resorts, the resturants, bars (as many as you can) tell them the dates you are in Japan and give them contact email/phone. if someone calls then be prepared to alter your plans and go there.

When looking at Hokkaido staying in the Hirafu Village is pretty expensive - it will eat up your cash fast...but Kutchan is not far away, easy access by car or bus.

OK forum members - I got the ball rolling....anyone else got some sage advice for the boy ???

>1)Is it possible to get discounted accommodation at any of the snow resorts if we wish to stay for a month or so in a particular place?

Some of the foreign-owned places do give discounts for extended stays, so I would check them out in the links at the top, and start sending emails asking that.

>2)How hard is it to find jobs in the snow resort areas, we have working holiday visas and can speak a little japanese, is it un-heard of for foreigners to get jobs in restaurants, bars or hotels?

In places like Hakuba/Niseko you will have no problems. I think the biggest issue you will be facing is how many arent filled. My mates who own pensions/companies usually have the jobs filled already. If youre serious, I would just start bombing out emails to people by finding companies through the links per SJ.

>3)Is there anyone on this forum that i could contact about work at a hotel that might offer some insight into how i should go about this?

Im sure they will speak up if they see this thumbsup

Dont worry about language barrier. Sure, it will be difficult at some times, but isnt that part of the adventure. IF it wasnt an adventure, it wouldnt be a trip. Enjoy it and laugh at what happens.

Japan is a cash-based society so I wouldnt worry about the Japanese stealing your money, Id be more worried about keeping that in a sock in a pension ya know what I mean?

i think it might be possible to find some work somewhere, even though it's a bit late. But however, you would find it tough to find work somewhere, move on to another place then find more work. If you are lucky enough to snag a job, i would say it would be for the whole season (or the busy times at least).

To answer your questions-

1)It would be possible, some places are flexible. But ring/email them and work it out beforehand.

2) Gonna be tough, especially for all 4 of you. Look up bars, hotels, pensions in areas you want to stay and call them.

3)?

Also if you came for boarding there's no point staying in Tokyo for a month. Do a few days when you arrive and when you leave and that'll be enough.

For monthly accommodation you better start searching now. The best resorts for monthly accommodation are Hakuba and Niseko. Nozawa might have some monthly deals, Im not sure. Yuzawa might have monthly deals as well but I personally wouldn't choose Yuzawa for a season. One of the best day trip places in Japan though for sure.

The working holiday Visa helps. I would get into Japan right away and just choose one resort. 13000 bucks is a lot of money. I know Nagano better than elsewhere so here is a break down for what I know. I think it will work for some other places. Again one resort is better.

Based on a 3 month stay

A seasons pass 55000 to 65000 yen most early deals will end nov30

accom seasonal 60000 to 70000 yen a month per person

food and drink 100000 yen make your own meals and share

extras 100000 yen trips to other places+broken stuff

travel budget 50000 yen who knows you might go somewhere

airplane ticket 120000 yen

Budget total is 645000 yen. That is rather high better to show high. The plane ticket I don't know the cost. I only fly via America.

Up in Niseko I know that most places have filled all available positions already. You'd just have to send off emails/ring around to see if anyone has anything left.

It's getting hard enough for regular customers to find accomm up here now let alone long term accomm. I don't know of any places besides maybe some backpackers that might be able to get you in. If you didn't stay in Hirafu you might have bit more of a chance. 2nd hand cars can be picked up here very cheaply if you did stay a little aways from the resort.

If your only planning on staying at each resort for a shortish period that might work against you finding work, i imagine most places would want you to work for longer than a month.

Seems you have a good stash of cash, maybe just plan on doing a sweet road trip and if you find some work along the way.....bonus.

Accommodation wise what GN said is right, stuff is heavily booked so you might need to do some moving around between Pensions & Lodges or stay away from the main village areas.

Things will fall into place, if they don't move on to the next place.

Wow, so many great responses, thanks for all that guys. The month in tokyo was only rough and based on us having a place to stay while being able to go venture out on day trips looking for work in places such as hakuba. But what springs to mind now when thinking of a prolonged stay in Tokyo, is a much lighter wallet and while I love nightlife my soul purpose is to be on a board. I arrive in Tokyo on the 10th December (booked the flights few months ago when they were cheap) what would you guys suggest I do between the 10th and when the real snow starts falling?? Maybe somewhere that gets a fair drop around that time of year? Thinking now Tokyo might be left at a 2 week max.

As for the work, thanks again for all the responses. Im open to most jobs, had my fair whack of below average jobs and having a working holiday visa that's only granted once in your life kinda makes it easier to be less choosy. I'll go ahead and spin the wheel over the next week.

Cheers again smile

Whao! A month in Tokyo... you could easily burn through 13,000$ AUS in a month there. If your real purpose if to board then I would suggest limiting your time in Tokyo. The main resorts in Hakuba are much too far away to be making day trips to try and get a job or something (you'll spend 6 - 8 hours return in one day)

You'd be able to find some real snow further north in Hokkaido early in the season. Flying up there from Tokyo can be super cheap if you book now (about 10,000Y). Both JAL and ANA have pretty good English websites for domestic travel. The cheapest company is Airdo but you'll need to be able to read Japanese to use their website (unless you call from Australia, you can find their domestic reservation center telephone number for English speakers on their website) I usually go to Niseko from around the 20th of December and there is almost always good coverage by then (one year it rained the first day but then dumped snow for the next week). Since you are going to arrive early I would suggest that you do your trip in reverse and start in Hokkaido, end in Nagano...

If you don't want to go to Hokkaido until the snow starts then why not travel around Japan a little? Being a tourist can be kind of fun... You could probably send your boarding gear to your accommodation in Hakuba and they could store it for you (they might want a small fee to do that)

Just don't go too wild in Tokyo mate or you'll never make it to the hills!! wink

for Hakuba last season my impression was there were a few restaurant jobs going in late December (ie. after the season had already started) which you'd only get by being there. They might not be many hours - most people doing them already had other jobs. If you post your email address I can send you names of some places to try. If you're serious about getting a job I'd stay in the cheapest accommodation you can find from late December and ask around. (This is just my experience of Hakuba, I don't know about other resorts.)

One of the local property companies in Hakuba is run by a Kiwi and he employs people to manage lodges, etc. If you picked up a job like that, you would get accommodation provided and probably a ski pass, plus you get to meet many fellow Aussies. I've also heard that working for the resorts in Japan is a real killer and you risk the opportunity of getting pissed off and frustrated quickly. You could try asking for a job at the Tracks pub but I'd imagine that there are plenty of people wanting to work there.

Mind you, a month in Tokyo would allow a few side trips (try Hiroshima, Beppu and such) or Kyoto (I just came back from 10 days in Kyoto and could easily - if I could afford it - spend another month there!). A trip (and a few days) in Nara would be good too. I'd try to stay away from the "tourist trap" places, get out amongst the "real people" and do what the locals do as much as possible.

There are sooo many places to see that the skiing might almost seem like a

Having said that, this recent trip was our 5th, so we're "over" the tourist stuff and prefer to see the "real" Japan. We have a fair smattering of nihongo, so can usually manage to make ourselves understood, if only after a bit of looking up in the dictionary!

PM me for more details, if you're interested.

Nice JA,

where did you stay in Kyoto? where did you go?

Quote:
I'd try to stay away from the "tourist trap" places, get out amongst the "real people" and do what the locals do as much as possible

I also hope that you enjoyed going to the super, picking up the dinner, cooking it, doing the washing up, watched a bit of telly, put the washing on, did yesterday's ironing and then put the trash out, seperated of course. lol

Actually stayed at a ryokan, bought breakfasts at the 7-11 (and/or Lawson), ate at local restaurants as much as possible (made a few errors of judgement, but that's life, hey!) did a few loads of washing (took no gear that needed ironing - don't own any!!) and used local transport as much as possible.

OK, we did a few touristy things but spent the time following a trail of locals through the various gardens and temples.

If SJ don't mind. I'll give the place we stayed at (but they don't advertise here AFAIKR) so the Pm offer stands.

OK, We stayed at Nagomi Ryokan-Yuu. It is a "backpacker" style ryokan, within 5 minutes walk of Kyoto station, has kitchen facilities, laundry as well.

The staff are super helpful, and we'll be back! guaranteed!

Good on you, JA

Kyoto would definitely merit longer stay. The gardens are beautiful, aren't they. I'm not ashamed to do the tourist stuff there myself, by the way.

Not interested (and don't have the $) to to the Geisha stuff, but I do like being out there at night and listening to people talk. I love the Kyoto accent ! Class !

Glad you enjoyed it and wish you will have some more quality time when you go there again.

we've brought it down to a 10 day stay in Tokyo then onwards to hakuba to try our luck. After abit of math and realistic thinking we figured we'd be out of pocket +5000AUD each in a month in tokyo. so 10 days in a hostel should suffice.

Touristy stuff would probably be left to the end of the snow trip and at present only includes kyoto in april for the blossoms. But i am sure as time goes we'll hear of plenty of things "we must do" while in Japan. But for now a 90+day season is at the top of our list.

Thanks to everyone thats helped me out, im sure ill be back asking more questions as the season goes on and hopefully this time next year ill be shedding some light to someone like myself.

Cheers and best to all

@Chris97 - If you need any recos for a hostel in Tokyo let me know. There's a cool one in Asakusa I've stayed at a few times. Staff are cool, no curfew. It's in an older part of Tokyo, but easy to get around since it's close to a subway line.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
@Chris97 - If you need any recos for a hostel in Tokyo let me know. There's a cool one in Asakusa I've stayed at a few times. Staff are cool, no curfew. It's in an older part of Tokyo, but easy to get around since it's close to a subway line.

How much is that about?

One of the local property companies in Hakuba is run by a Kiwi and he employs people to manage lodges, etc. If you picked up a job like that, you would get accommodation provided and probably a ski pass, plus you get to meet many fellow Aussies.

I hate to say this but If you are going all the way to japan why would you want to meet fellow aussies why not just stay at home and save the expense. wakaranai