We started out early this morning to take advantage of the weather for a drive over to Tsunan and then over to Matsunoyama - all in Niigata. Fine sunny skies from early on this morning... at times the colours looked almost unreal but very pleasing.

[The only touching up I've done to these apart from cutting a few is adjusting brightness and contrast on some of them. It was all looking very pretty in itself!]

To think that this lot will soon be covered in multiple metres of snow. friend

First stop, the Kankoji temple near Ishiuchi Maruyama skijo. Looking nice.

muikabochi_1898.JPG

muikabochi_1871.JPG

muikabochi_1874.JPG

muikabochi_1875.JPG

Then it was over towards Tsunan and the popular Kiyotsukyo gorge. You pay 500 yen to enter the 800m or so tunnel. Some viewing stages along the way:

muikabochi_1881.JPG

At the end, when you look back, it looks like this:

muikabochi_1896.JPG

muikabochi_1879.JPG

muikabochi_1883.JPG

muikabochi_1885.JPG

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your thoughts guys and gals & for the Pics Muika.

I think I will make it Autumn though spring is tempting with snow still around in places. Probably harder to get past the 'ministeress for finance' though with me having just returned from Feb ski time.

I would like to go back to areas I have been in winter like Myoko, Nozawa Onsen and Shiga Kogen to see the difference.

Would there be more or less accommodation options in Autumn?

OOps, I have appeared to have resurected an old topic by posting a reply on an old link in error.

My apologies but the subject matter is timeless - beautiful pics

Muika

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
Thanks for your thoughts guys and gals & for the Pics Muika.

I think I will make it Autumn though spring is tempting with snow still around in places. Probably harder to get past the 'ministeress for finance' though with me having just returned from Feb ski time.

I would like to go back to areas I have been in winter like Myoko, Nozawa Onsen and Shiga Kogen to see the difference.

Would there be more or less accommodation options in Autumn?

There will be fewer "accommodation options", but still lots of places open and no problem at all finding somewhere that'll look after you and feed you good, especially in the onsen towns. Don't come expecting a vibrant offseason like European mountain resorts or Whistler, though. That's not what happens in Japan.

fwiw, there isn't all that much crossover in Japan between the areas people go to for skiing and the areas people go to for hiking/mountain scenery. There are whole different areas known for the latter, sometimes with better access and more pristine scenery.