09/10 SITE UPDATES - Summary/Discussion thread

• SnowJapan Admin

Good news folks.

We now have some rather snazzy new functionality that allows us to very easily and very quickly get rid of obviously rogue data on the weather voting parts of the site. This rogue data may be posted by mistake or by someone deliberately posting misleading information. Over the last few days, it seems that two people have been posting misleading info.... multiple times. Why someone would want to do that, I do not know. However, such people sadly exist.

Anyway, my colleagues have developed something that gives us a lot of control and information:

• we can now very easily and very quickly delete any vote;
  • we can see the IP address used to post every single vote. Usually we won't be in the least bit interested in that info, but it will be useful when there are strange votes going up there;
  • we will be alerted by the system if there is any 'suspicious looking activity' (as defined by us);
  • the new admin is also linked up to our weather data and reports meaning that we are alerted if there is anything going on in the votes that seems really at odds with the forecasts/reports

We will delete any obviously rogue data as quickly as possible.

Obviously there is the possibility of some people voting by mistake, and there is always going to be the possibility of incorrect data going up there. But hopefully during the season the volume of real votes will very much outnumber anything otherwise. However over the last two days, a number of intentionally misleading votes were posted. From now on, looking at the patterns of voting, if we find out about anyone intentionally and repeatedly posting misleading data on our site we will consider banning them from using the site and forums - and make a note of who they are.

I just want to make one thing clear - we do NOT want to have to go in and use this editing functionality. It's not what the whole idea is about. This new functionality is just to allow us to filter out obvious junk if when posted. We'll be using it as infrequently as needed.

Thank you - and please.... if you do vote, please vote for the real weather at the resorts.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Hopefully, though I doubt it will get rid of them all quickly. It may take a bit of time for them to realise that they are wasting their time! But anyway, we now have it covered so I'm feeling much better about it all. Took about 70 hours of work that lot.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
What if someone for example, just goes round voting for lots of resorts at the same timem, SJ?

The system will notify us with a witty specially recorded audio message. groovy
I will call it Tenkibot.
Tenkibot will help us smile about it all.

I have just blocked the site from someone doing just that. They had gone in and voted "Blizzard" for 10 resorts, in different prefectures. Said data never had chance to go public. dance

I think that the weather reporting system is a good idea, as long as people are sensible about following the rules. We know that some resorts are a bit economical with the truth about the conditions and snow depth....except for those that curiously under-report the snow depths...

SdS

• SnowJapan Admin

We will be keeping an eye on it skidaisuki. Seeing the IP addresses and the patterns of voting is truly revealing. Anything that seems 'wrong' we get alerted and can step in if we feel required. It's going to take more of our time each day, but that is probably the cost of this working.

What would be great is if people who live near or at resorts made it a habit of taking a minute or two and voting for the resorts where they are every day. If lots of people do that, as well as people visiting, it will hopefully be very useful and interesting info.

friend