Make sure you have decent footware (gum boots, sorels or something). You see a lot of wet and cold skate shoes etc around the village. If you don't have any buy some gum boots from Kutchan.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smile got my new ones this past July.

Previous ones are more 'dressy' but DO let the wet in if trudging through ankle deep for any length of time being waterproofed suede look fabric.

New ones make me look like a Liftie - black rubber up to the ankle - but they are -20 rated and absolutely waterproof - got the opportunity to test that (accidentally).

Yay for decent shoes.

Also bear in mine the lack of grip on skate shoes people. When my boys were in Niseko Feb 3.5 yrs ago for their first trip they bumped into the family we bought our current house from. Mum was missing though - when asked if she (like me) was at home they were told NO...she slipped in stupid shoes on ice within the first 10 minutes in the village and spent 2 weeks in the hotel on her stomach with a broken coccyx - it is WELL WORTH investing in adequate footwear.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Moon boots !
lol. That's a crack up.

They were cool when I used to ride an oddball bicycle with bana seat,sissy bar and three speed gear changer located in the middle.
Originally Posted By: Gtrain
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Moon boots !
lol. That's a crack up.

They were cool when I used to ride an oddball bicycle with bana seat,sissy bar and three speed gear changer located in the middle.

Now THATZ coool

I spoke to a middle age guy organising a flight home the smae day he had arrived. Damaged his hip and back soon after getting off the bus!

The worst place has to be outside the Seico Mart. You could sit down outside and watch people fall over all day as they go in and out. That entrance can be treacherous! Especially with bags of shopping in your hands.

ha ha. Nope, not one of the drunks. Just don't like wet feet. Shovelling snow in sneakers/trainers is also off the list for me. Cheap arse gum boots from the CO-OP aren't exactly mega boots anyway. Easy to kick off as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow

Can highly recommend a pair of inners in your gloves as I found that if you take your gloves off to fix a binding or take a photo they can very quickly get cold and uncomfortable and they take forever to warm back up unlike in Aust/NZ.

Thanks for the reminder - I think we are down a few pairs of inners - time to invest in some more. I would like to try the silk liners, but have never seen them anywhere. Anyone use them?

Ebay has some listed from the UK - search on 'silk gloves'. Oz supplier used to be Ivarna Silk but the website is dead unfortunately.

Oh, and hi folks. Been reading your posts in prep for Hokkaido trip in Feb. Lots of helpful stuff - thanks thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Gtrain
I always wear those slip on rubber cleats. Even with decent boots for that same reason. Best $10 you can spend I reckon.

Sounds good Gtrain. Can you post some more details?

A few keeping warm points:

- take warm and waterproof boots for walking around town

- onsen / ofuro every morning and night to thoroughly warm the body

- keep the snacks and calories going in while on the slopes

- wear thermals as a base layer while skiing, with multiple layers on top

- I always find good, thick, treated gloves are the best investment to stay warm, because my hands are the first to get cold

It will be cold in Niseko, so be prepared and enjoy!

SdS

ziggy,

These are the ones I bought Papa - they are called Yaktraks - we lost one in Niseko somewhere, so we only have one now - not much good that.

pi_382.jpeg

But there are other styles/types/brands...

like these

Compare%20before%20and%20after.JPG

or this...

41lYxKCJrbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ziggy,

Most of the ski stores and even some other shops etc sell the rubber cleats. There are a couple of styles. The three main styles I have come across are

1: Rubber cleats small metal studs at front and at back

2: Rubber cleats with small metal studs at front but not at the back

3: Rubber cleats that have no studs but coiled wire on the bottom.

Personal preference but I like the first ones myself. They are not totally necessary but they are cheap, easy and worth it in my opinion.

Ziggy,

See how you go after a day or so. If you want some, most of the ski stores and even some other shops etc sell the rubber cleats. There are a couple of styles. The three main styles I have come across are

1: Rubber cleats small metal studs at front and at back

2: Rubber cleats with small metal studs at front but not at the back

3: Rubber cleats that have no studs but coiled wire on the bottom.

Personal preference but I like the first ones myself. They are not totally necessary but they are cheap, easy and worth it in my opinion.

I usually have a tee-shirt on, pullover and my ski jacket a balaclava/ scarf and a pair of thermal gloves and within a few mins I am as hot as toast.

Never get cold really, and always got hot hands even after being out for ages. Maybe that is why I hate summer so much!

I never seem to get that cold. I usually wear a thermal layer, then a t-shirt, neck warmer and hat. Back home I'd have a fleece underneath my jacket but over here I've been too hot when I had that on. I wear a thick pair of thermal socks and then a thin pair over the top and my feet are toasty all day long, so much so that when i finally take my boots off they are visibly steaming!