• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Layers seemore, layers!

It is VERY cold.

I used the little heater packs in my boots every day on the mountain, never have had to in Aus.

I always rode with at least a thermal, midlayer and good jacket - but my older boys have been known to regularly head out with just a tee shirt under their jackets (but they are NUTS!). I also recall them walking to return the electronic tix for the refund in shorts, tee and sneakers on our last day in January 2 years ago - they got some very strange looks.

As long as you have the ability to layer you will be set for all conditions - if you are cold - add an extra layer - if hot, whip one off.

ohh... one thing I WASN'T prepared for was the indoor heat.

I will be remembering to pack a few tee shirts myself this time, because I didn't have anything cool to wear inside when I was feeling overheated. I had to buy a couple of Hirafu tourist tee's to get me through.

Yes it can be cold. Not unusual for the temps on the upper mountain to hover between -20 and -13 at that time of year. Layering as MB has pointed out is the best way to go and also include something to cover your face. If it's below -15 and the wind gets up at all and with faceshots on every turn frostbite can be a real concern. I've had frostbite on my cheeks a couple of times during my time here.

yes the ninja mask from the convenience store for 1200Y was my best investment I ever made, still use today.

I don't really change the amount of layers from what I wear in Aust/NZ, Thermals, midlayer and a good jacket, and I seem to be ok.

Can highly recommend a pair of inners in your gloves as I found that if you take your gloves off to fix a binding or take a photo they can very quickly get cold and uncomfortable and they take forever to warm back up unlike in Aust/NZ.

Other than that buy a pack of the heater pads that MB was taking about from the convenience store, dirt cheap, something like 20c each compared to the $5.00 bucks that they want to charge

Good point GN!

My youngest really struggled with that 2 yrs ago - and it is really hard for Mum to do anything about it when he is off all day in Snowboard School! I am going to try some thermoprotective barrier cream as well as face protection this year.

Face protection:

I find the full fleecy neck warmers a bit much on my face - I get quite claustrophobic; although they are certainly warm. I also found the boy was less likely to pull up over his frostbitten cheeks than the thinner Buff.

I use at least two buffs when I go out riding - one covers my head/hair(I look Muslim!) - it keeps my helmet from knotting my hair(fine straight blonde hair tends to knot ridiculously easily), and adds an extra warmth layer. It also allows me to pull the buff over my forehead eliminating the brain freeze spot between helmet and goggles.

The second buff goes around my neck and is pulled up to be a face mask. I can breathe easily through it, but it does sometimes get wet and cold after a while (carry a spare in the pocket for a quick change). I also sometimes end up fogging up the goggles. But I end up only having my eyes exposed (which are of course covered by the goggles). Works for us.

The boys have tried the bandana type, and the neoprene "Hannibal Lecter" face mask, and Papa swears by the traditional Polar Fleece neck warmer - but none of us have regretted purchasing Buffs and having them in the arsenal against the cold.

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow

Can highly recommend a pair of inners in your gloves as I found that if you take your gloves off to fix a binding or take a photo they can very quickly get cold and uncomfortable and they take forever to warm back up unlike in Aust/NZ.

Thanks for the reminder - I think we are down a few pairs of inners - time to invest in some more. I would like to try the silk liners, but have never seen them anywhere. Anyone use them?

Click on the link Tubby - I put it there coz I KNEW there would be questions wink

I have mainly original buffs, but a couple of Polar Buffs as well. They are microfibre tubes/neckwarmers that are versatile head & neck wear.

We had Hot Choc with Rum for the first time in Switzerland in Janaury this year.

After a day on the mountain at Rothorn Paradise we would head back toward the village.

After a particularly sweet ride from Blauherd we would all pull in to a quaint little coffee shop at Tuftern where our request for 6 hot chocolates would be met with the smiling response from the lovely Swiss fellow there "...with rhoooooom?" Papa's response of "why not?!" began a tradition of stopping for hot chocolate with rum to fortify us for the balance of the run home.

Tufturn to Patrullarve wasn't too bad, bit narrow in places, but an enjoyable run, however from Patrullarve to the Village was a nightmare - a busy highway the width of my snowboard. People stopped on it, chopped up by the end of the day, big rock walls on one side, and a steep treed drop on the other. I didnt mind it during the day when it was not busy - but add 1000 or so people all coming off the mountain at the same time - and I needed that rum!