• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one ever really gets more than what they pay for, that's not how business works. Good marketing and service though can make you feel as though you're getting more. You definitely get that with me razz

Don't believe I mentioned anything about doing the minimum needed, I talked about working in proportion to my pay. I often do well beyond the minimum, it's just my minumum at a low wage is lower than it is at a higher wage. Say I buy 3-cylinder K-car I can't quite expect the same performance as I would from say a Porsche now can I? Employers can't expect that either!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Don't believe I mentioned anything about doing the minimum needed

Dunno sounds pretty much like that to me...

Pay me more and I'll work more.

So if you got a 50% pay decrease you'd work just as hard? Is work not valued like anything else? Generally the more you pay the better quality or more quantity you get. Is work somehow different?

I have recently taken a pay decrease. This has meant effectively that I can keep my job. Lots of other people I know have also had similar. I don't think everyone is suddenly cutting back their work effort by the same percentage as their salary cut.

Glad I'm not working with you.

I took a pay cut too. Most of my working life has been in sales and with commission based pay, so the harder I worked the more I made. Still there are two of us currently doing the same job at my company and so far this year I have done 60% of the total sales and get no more pay than my colleague (I've even had considerably more holidays than he has). Now that's what I mean about my employer getting good value. Still would I stay late and do many hours unpaid overtime for a wage that is only around a 1/4 what I was earning at the height of my career? Um no I wouldn't...

Double my wage and I probably would.

cruising

–verb (used with object)

10.Informal.

a.to move slowly through or visit (a street, park, bar, etc.) in search of a sexual partner.

b.to make sexual overtures to; attempt to arouse the sexual interest of.

11.to inspect (a tract of forest) for the purpose of estimating lumber potential.

??

I have always considered work to be a major inconvenience to my lifestyle. The amount of inconvenience I allow my work to affect my life is directly proportional to the amount I'm paid. Pay me more and I'll work more. With me you get value for money but you only get what you pay for. biggrin

GN...me an you....bird of a feather mate!! thumbsup

I work because I have to work, if I didn't need the money then I wouldn't work. When I'm there I don't slack but as CN said its directly proportional to the level of reward I receive. I work to live, not live to work!
Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Quote:
When I'm there I don't slack but its directly proportional to the level of reward I receive.

I'm interested.
How do you calculate it?
How does that work?

I calculate it based on a number of factors, such as;
How important is it for me to keep the job?
How does the pay compare to previous jobs I've had and how hard am I working compared to those previous jobs?
Are the stress levels and hours worked worth it for the amount of money I'm receiving?
And most importantly am I happy?

Maybe it's harder for people like me who have kind of given up on career and lifestyle is much more important to success in my job. I'm also lucky in that my income from my job is not the only income I receive and I have plenty of savings and investments. I don't even know what day I get paid as it's been a very long time since I was living pay packet to pay packet. I'm only working because I can't yet afford to retire. The biggest motivator for me to work hard currently is to keep my job as I can't keep living the good life in Japan if I don't get sponsored!

Don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with you on that point CB.

And yes if you worked Sat/Sun you should get time in lieu. Whether it's the Mon/Tues is something you'll need to negotiate with your employer dance