Hey many AET dude(sses) here?

It's a fair while since I was an AET and I don't have any AET friends at the moment - wondering how the AET deal was these days?

I remember it used to annoy me that I got 300,000 yen in Tokyo when someone in the sticks got exactly the same. Stuff like that. Is the catchphrase still 'ever case is different'? wink

The school I used to be at I had teachers ranging from excellent to outrageously bad almost bordering on insulting in the way they did (or didn't!) use me in class.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on it until 2004 but I heard in the past few years they changed the target JET profile and now they are looking for serious types rather than party types.

I believe JET salary is same as it ever was - 3.4M yen a year.

But the strong yen means it is a good deal now compared to say 2 years ago, if you are saving and sending home.

for non-jets, the starting salary is 250k a month, pretty shitty. i'been here a couple f years and have managed to get 300k a month now but still pretty grim....good thing is working hours, very low, shite thing is the pro rata wage for summer, xmas and easter break

No, for the company that I INTERACT with (ho-hum wink ), our contracts are not technically for the school holidays, so for august we get 60% wage (which is deemed only a retainer payment), for Xmas its worked out on a per day basis our wage, and the end of March start of April is outwith our contract so we don't get paid for them either. I'm really just lazy cos there are plenty ALT companies out there but I'm in that easy to live in but bitch about rut!

Quote:
but I'm in that easy to live in but bitch about rut!

lol
Ah, I know that place well. I remember I spent about a year there before I made a decision to move out. It was fun though!
Originally Posted By: bobby12

But the strong yen means it is a good deal now compared to say 2 years ago, if you are saving and sending home.

which works out to be 28man/month. Not that great, but many JETs do get perks depending on where they work.

Wonder how much the average salary has changed in 15-20 years here?

I'm quite surprised to see that the ALT wage has remained the same for so long.

There is little inflation in Japan so its no problem for a salary to stay static. Thats why when you watch movies from early 90s the prices of things are about the same (110yen for a coke etc).

If you are saving and sending home then it is all about the FX rate, which is now very good. When I was on JET the GBP was around 210 so I ran a online business to convert my yen to GBP more effectively (buy products in yen, sell to UK and recieve GBP payment).

JET salary is decent these days as it is aimed at fresh grads who would be on a similar/worse salary back home (16-22K GBP). Shame it is such a demoralising job where the teachers dont want you there and they trust you as far as they can throw you (= no responsibility = no job satisfaction).

My experience in Japan 1997- 2008 was that with the massive influx of gaijin came the massive decreases in salraies and hourly rates.

When I first came to Japan it was common for 10,000+ per hour for privates .These days 5k (and much less) is the norm.

Also the co where I started working 25 hours a week was full time. since then they have extended the hours considerably and won't be long until it's the same a Nova!

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

which works out to be 28man/month. Not that great, but many JETs do get perks depending on where they work.

I know plenty of people working in Niseko full time who'd be very happy to receive that much a month! A lot of near minimum wagers up this way. It is cheap to live up here I guess...

Dig this...

1976 AUD 1 = Y 360

minimum australian wage 7 bucks an hour, Japan Y500

I can make Y 2500 cleaning or anything in australia when working in a coffee shop or macca was Y500 p/h in Japan. Teaching English was Y 2000 p/h.

1981 Teaching English Y2500~3000 p/h

private Y5000~ 10000

the magic of exchange rates...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

I know plenty of people working in Niseko full time who'd be very happy to receive that much a month! A lot of near minimum wagers up this way. It is cheap to live up here I guess...

or as you (somebody?) mentioned, they enjoy the lifestyle, but dont get paid much...at least the average person up there Id imagine. Some of my mates earn a good coin though thats for sure.