• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Indo
Also the co where I started working 25 hours a week was full time. since then they have extended the hours considerably and won't be long until it's the same a Nova!

actually NOVA and all the big english companies have cut back their official hours. In Japanese law if someone works 30 hrs a week or more then the company has to pay pension contributions etc, so to stop that many of the companes have put their instructors on 29.5 hrs, just under so that they don't have to pay for pension etc and from what I hear many teachers work less than this. Thats a plus point for where I work, the hours are nothing BUT they try and guilt you into doing longer hours. We are meant to get 1 or 2 Material Development periods a day, this allows us to plan and make various props for the upcoming lessons, but this year I have rarely had these and I'm often teaching a full day of 6 lessons. They are trying to get us to stay later to make the cards etc but screw that. As soon as my time is up, I'm outta there, if they want me to stay lomger, no problem but they are gonna have to pay me my hourly rate for it.

The thing about teaching is even when you are doing 4 hrs a day, it does take up the full day so you can't do anything (you are committed) plus you do end up working more than your hours. preps, phone calls to students who haven't shown up, meetings, etc. for no pay.

It's a good second job for someone who likes it, or for retired people.

Ultimately the company's product is wages

thats true Jynxx, teaching is definitely not JUST a job BUT AET's are not teachers. We don't have the responsibilities that Home Room Teachers have, we are more like out-sourced employees who come in to do a specific job, nothing more. Teachers get paid a lot more than we do to compensate for the amount of time that Teaching takes up from their day and even then I bet it feels like they are doing more than they get paid for! Like I said, I don't mind having to do the extra work, just pony up on the cash!!

Is there anyone here who is a FT teacher and enjoys it? Most teachers seem to hate it. If you look at some tecahing job adverts in the UK they often say things like 'rediscover your love for teaching' 'get that old spark back' etc.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Is there anyone here who is a FT teacher and enjoys it? Most teachers seem to hate it. If you look at some tecahing job adverts in the UK they often say things like 'rediscover your love for teaching' 'get that old spark back' etc.

Im a full-time teacher (å°‚ä»») and love it. I can say without a doubt that we have the best mix of kids in the country. If there was a school with better kids, Id like to see it. I also have free reign with what I teach and I love the elective classes that I teach... In one Im doing the history of rock and roll, and in the other Im doing a drama class, so things Im really interested in. Next year thinking of a sports and nutrition class or a photojournalism elective.

Sure, what happens at work can drive me nuts, but at the end of the day I love where I work - the day that changes, Ill quit and find another profession: ski bum biggrin

Sounds like real work that (good you enjoy it!)

I have quite a few AET friends and their 'job satisfaction' ranges from one extreme to the other. It really does seem to be a lot of luck where you end up and what you can get out of it.

Originally Posted By: happyhappy

I have quite a few AET friends and their 'job satisfaction' ranges from one extreme to the other.

JET is an OK gig and 300 000 yen a month is good if you're in your early 20's but I can't really imagine ALTs getting an extremely high amount of job satisfaction.

on JET though, they don't get school holidays so during the 6 weeks of summer they have to go in, sit in the teachers room with the principal and wait to the end of the day.....nothing to do. I might not get full pay for august but I get it all off......I prefer the time off. If I'm that pissed off with the wages I can get privates thru the summer to top it up.

Well actually it is case by case. Or as they say on JET "ESID" (every situation is different).

I knew a guy who only went in 5 mins before his lessons and left straight after. He was doing 3 hours work a day.

Yes the wage not changing thing isn't really that big when you consider the circumstances. It just doesn't sound good - not increasing in 20 years or so.

3 hours there and going home? Wow, he is lucky! I know a few people who get tied down to staying all hours.

In my case I did 9 to 4pm. In my other school in the sticks (mon + fri) I did more like 10-2 depending on lesson timetable.

No-one ever said anything though at times they gace me lessons in first and last period.

It was pretty grim times at work but I probably increased snowjapan.coms page view statistics by a few percent.

I used to just go when everyone went out to teach 4th period.

I much prefer a job with responsibility even if it is hard work and I have to work real hours.

I much prefer a job with responsibility even if it is hard work and I have to work real hours.

becareful Bobby....i used to do that and never saw my kids until the weekend, missed all the school festivals..etc...i think a good balance is what is required
Originally Posted By: stemik

becareful Bobby....i used to do that and never saw my kids until the weekend, missed all the school festivals..etc...i think a good balance is what is required

I bet most people throughout the world understand the concept of "balance" but Japanese sure dont rolleyes

Actually I work 8.10AM to 5.45PM every day and live 2 mins from work, so I see my kids plenty.

My company has an 'overtime culture' but I don't get drawn into that and no-one complains so long as I am following the contract.

Bsically nice, but 2 mins is a bit extreme: its nice in rainy season but ideally I'd like to have a nice 15 min walk I think. going home sometimes feels just like going to a meeting room - if I had a 30 min train ride or something there would be more psychological binkton.

(I couldnt think of the proper word to use so wrote binkton instead)

Can sympathize with you - used to live a 4 mins train journey away - never felt like I finished work when I got home as didn't have that wind down period :S