The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame it all on the yanks. Get the pitchforks out!

Seriously though, the problem is we are a 2 man team. Why is that? Because we have no money. You can say academy is not good enough but look at Spearing and Ecclestone coming through, they both look like great prospects and these days very few players come through academy to top clubs.

OK we messed up one or two transfers (Robbie Keane), which happens everywhere anyway, but apart from that I don't blame Benitez.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Lets all laugh at Liverpool

"Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has claimed Champions League elimination would not be a disaster as the club can fall back on the Europa League."

groovy

Oh dear. Thing is, it's hard to see them getting better than Benny with the current administration in place.

Benny hasn't done too bad moneywise, esp. after getting that massive Alonso fee in. By kind of fluking the CL, Benny also managed to keep Gerrard from Chelsea, which was an achievement in itself. They've got a 72 player squad though, so they get no sympathy from me. All the top clubs now hoover up young talent for peanuts and just stick them in the stiffs or loan them out. Its bad for the players and bad for other teams, since anyone who really makes it would fetch a much higher price a couple of years later.

ManYoo or Chelsea would just have bought Barry without trying to offload Alonso to get the cash in. Maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, why am I defending Liverpool when I should be laughing at them! End of the "top four" is the best thing that can happen, even if it takes Citeh or Bent 'arry to do it. Bring it on!

Quote:

“We made mistakes against Lyon twice and in Florence,†the Liverpool manager said. “If you analyse the games, the two late goals against Lyon made a massive difference. We had chances in all the games, and could have won all of them.

“I think because we have been so good in recent years people think it is easy. We could have progressed, because we are not worse than the other teams and we proved that, but now we cannot so we have to be positive, although I am really disappointed, for the players, the staff and the fans.

“A lot of teams do not play in the Champions League and a lot of teams do not progress through the group stage. Now we cannot win that competition we will do our best [in the Europa League and Premier League].â€

I lol when I read this. Thought I'd share.

Benedorm is such a joker.

I reckon Benny should field the bottom rung of their 72 man squad in the UEFA Cup and deliberately go out asap. The UEFA Cup is a million more games and only the beancounters care about it. If Liverpool can't finish fourth, they'll struggle to keep Torres and Mascherano.