The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is boring.

From ManU loving friend

Tevez: So why should I come to Eastlands

Hughes: Well our bench is better padded than Old Trafford and we have more leg room

Tevez: Where do I sign?

------

Commentary: "A little bit lacklustre"

Translation: "Wasn't that a load of bollocks"

Time for the scousers get their half-time pies.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I see you edited your post.

Just because your friends, Mr Bean or anyone else supports Liverpool or Man Utd, doesn't mean that everyone 'should' support the team they were born closest to.

wakaranai

Thank you.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Try growing up in the '80s/90's when all your friend support Liverpool or Man Utd, yet none of them had ANY links to the area whatsoever?

**** glory hunters.

Right here, I have links to the Irish, yet I am not allowed to support them?

The hell am I supposed to support MLS? I think not...

Yeah I want to support the US national team but it isn't entertaining for me to watch. Their style of soccer is not what I like to watch/play. I am not supposed to share the same glory as someone born in that country purely because I am not a resident of the area? That is going completely against what the sport is about.

As an American, I am a baseball fan. I watched the Red Sox suck my whole entire life. Then in the past 5 years they have become good and now the whole US likes them. Do I get pissed off when I see a Red Sox bandwagoner hat out here in UT and nobody can name any players, yeah a little. Then I run across the one who likes the team and I understand the figurative meaning of the sport and it is not to be subjective the way you are.

Football (not American football) was literally my life until i ruined my knee for ever running as fast as I can. I lost a scholarship for college because of an injury. Someone telling me I should not like a team is a good blow to the belt.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Someone telling me I should not like a team is a good blow to the belt.

A bit of an over-reaction then? wink

The problem I have is with people supporting teams, who a) they have no connection with (B) have supported them since they have started winning things © they have never been to the stadium they play at (a sign of a true fan (or idiot at some of the ticket prices!) and (d) they barely know anything about the history of the club.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Someone telling me I should not like a team is a good blow to the belt.

A bit of an over-reaction then? wink

The problem I have is with people supporting teams, who a) they have no connection with (B) have supported them since they have started winning things © they have never been to the stadium they play at (a sign of a true fan (or idiot at some of the ticket prices!) and (d) they barely know anything about the history of the club.

It seemed rather angry, I didn't mean it to be. I am just very passionate about soccer as I was deeply involved in the sport. The Irish have never won anything and I am completely impartial to Premiere League teams. I only like Arsenal because most of my English friends do however I would never claim to be a true fan. The Irish national team I have followed for quite some time.

P.S. I am still very bitter about my injury as you can tell hahaha.

Just pointing out that you aren't actually Irish. You are American. You may support which team you like, but I stll stand by my post that said that "real Irish people" will be hurting a tad more than yourself.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Just pointing out that you aren't actually Irish. You are American. You may support which team you like, but I stll stand by my post that said that "real Irish people" will be hurting a tad more than yourself.

Again, I reiterate, I wan't born in Ireland. This obviously makes me less of a case for being fond on my heritage's team.

I don't get why it is a huge deal to everyone to point out I am not allowed to be on the same level of compassion for a game as "REAL" Irish people.

I have no problem with you having compassion for Ireland, just you said you were Irish and you are not. Thats all I am saying. That someone who actually is Irish was probably hurting a lot more than yourself, even although you also hold the irish team dear.

I can never understand why Americans make this big deal about where they "came from". Always hearing americans saying that they are "Irish" or "Italian" or "Polish" etc when in actual fact they are not. They were born in america, grew up in America and so are American. Their ancestors may have been from a different country and moved to America but they themselves did not.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I have no problem with you having compassion for Ireland, just you said you were Irish and you are not. Thats all I am saying. That someone who actually is Irish was probably hurting a lot more than yourself, even although you also hold the irish team dear.
I can never understand why Americans make this big deal about where they "came from". Always hearing americans saying that they are "Irish" or "Italian" or "Polish" etc when in actual fact they are not. They were born in america, grew up in America and so are American. Their ancestors may have been from a different country and moved to America but they themselves did not.

I guess its heritage. I can understand it.

I'm not saying anything about being passionate for a team. I only said that actual Irish people would probably be hurting more.

But everybody has a mix of different heritages, but we don't seem to have the need to say that we are, for example, "German" Scots. My father's grandparents were Irish immigrants but that doesn't make me Irish