The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 29-year-old left-back suffered a twisted knee while playing football with his children and is likely to require surgery.

Aurelio is definitely ruled out for the start of the Premier League season and the club now fear he will be sidelined until the end of the year.

The injury means manager Rafa Benitez is set to pull the plug on Andrea Dossena's potential move to Juventus.

Dossena, 27, has failed to make an impact since his £7 million move from Udinese and it was widely expected that he would return to Italy this summer, with Turin his most likely destination.

That now looks remote, although even with Aurelio's injury, Dossena is still set to play second fiddle to Argentine Emiliano Insua, while Benitez has brought in Chris Mavinga from PSG as further back-up.

Quote:
City are understood to have offered £25m for Eto'o and would make him the best paid player in the world on £180,000 a week after tax.
Barcelona have offered him a two-year extension without a pay rise but Eto'o is making both sides wait amid suggestions in Spain that he is hoping Manchester United will enter the race.
Laporta said: 'I have called him a couple of times but he hasn't answered his mobile. I don't know if he has changed the number or whether he's lost it, but I would like to speak to him.
'The situation has saddened me because we've always had a clear and direct relationship.

This Eto'o guy is a fantastic player but he sure comes across as a big ego.

Eto - Isnt he like 29 or something? Not sure he is worth those $$$. Interesting no-one seems to be trying to get Xavi.

Aurelio is only out for 1 or 2 months says Benny.

Quote:
Woah there. This is good. Spanish newspaper AS claims that Man United are offering ï½£17m plus Dimitar Berbatov to Atletico Madrid for Sergio Aguero. Another offer on the table is ï½£34m plus Nani, but Atletico apparently want the full ï½£51m for Aguero, and have quite rightly calculated that the Portuguese winger is not worth ï½£17m. Not even close.

bullshit.jpg
Originally Posted By: bobby12
He was/is my favourite fullback out of that little gang.

not really saying much tho is it? Liverpool have pretty shitty full backs
Quote:
Manchester City have ended their interest in Barcelona's Cameroon international striker Samuel Eto'o.

The two clubs had been in talks over the £25m-rated striker after Barca told the 28-year-old Eto'o they were prepared to let him leave the Nou Camp.

City chief executive Garry Cook said: "The circumstances surrounding him were such that a deal couldn't be completed. Eto'o has realised what a pile of Shite we are and even though we offered him billions of coin, even that could not persuade him to come to this dump."

Eto'o is the second marquee player City have missed out on following Kaka's decision not to sign in January.

City reportedly made a bid in the region of £100m for the Brazilian midfielder, but he opted to stay with AC Milan, before joining Real Madrid in a £60m transfer in June.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Indeed.

Who are Liverpool after this summer though? Not hearing much about the scousers......

Benetez was bleating in the paper about Man City and Real inflating prices for players, saying he doesn't have money to spend like that...after spending 17 mill on Glen Johnson.

I don't rate any of Lpool's full backs as 8/10, I think 7 at best

He has a point about the inflated prices.

Perhaps Sir Ferg will be proven the sly fox once again.

Can't believe these rumours about United selling Berbatov in a part exchange though.

Quote:
The Barcelona striker's agent, Josep Maria Mesalles, is optimistic that the English champions will make a formal bid of £18 million for the Cameroon striker tomorrow.

Manchester City publicly ended negotiations with Eto'o on Friday evening, having grown exasperated with the length of time the transfer was taking. City made a bid of £25.5 million for Eto'o and, because he only has a year left on his contract, left it up to the player and the club to decide how much of that Eto'o would get as a pay-off.

It is understood the player wanted as much as a £13 million share, on top of the wages of £200,000 per week City were offering. City will now concentrate on wrapping up a deal to sign Carlos Tevez, expected to be confirmed this week, and on their continued pursuit of Chelsea's John Terry.

United would be able to get Eto'o for significantly cheaper than City, with the 28 year-old eager to play in the Champions League. One source in Spain suggested that United are prepared to offer Eto'o £150,000 per week, but said there is a problem with his demand for a four-year contract.

Sounds interesting!

I can't see Etoo going to United. He's a bit too old for Fergie, bit too expensive, would break the salary structure over there unless he took a big dip. I reckon Fergie will be in for someone rather less well known.

As for Liverpool, no frigging idea.

I think there's some personal hope in that assesment scouser.

I can't understand why more clubs don't seem to be in for Eto'o. He has an incredible goals/games ration. Great player. Very funny that he is turning his nose up at Citeh if we are to believe the rags.

May well be big-will.

Quote:
I can't understand why more clubs don't seem to be in for Eto'o.

His huge wage demands are probably a lot to do with it. Most clubs simply could not afford him.