The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Never trust an Argentinian footballer.

That hammer not only got rid of Tevez but also spared me of that ridiculous dance and music. Thank you, big hammer.

Dunno, I would like Messi to come to ManU though.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rooney was nearly a priest

Quote:
Welcome brethren, to Saint Colleen's, and how marvellous to see so many of you here for the Early Service when we could all be watching Premier League action on Sky at the exciting new Sunday kick-off time of 7.30am.

Now I want this morning for us all to think about St Carlos's Letter To The Argentineans, Chapter 32, which was so beautifully read out by our Churchwarden Mr Neville.

"And lo He did say to unto me, it is easier for a rich man to get through the eye of a camel than for youse to get in My team with all that wailing and gnashing of teeth and carrying on like a wee long-haired dog, ya bass, and He smote me around the head and breast with a mighty hairdryer and casteth me out into the darkness.

"And the Dragon tempteth me with all the riches of the world plus a promise that the Dragon would text me and call me on the phone a lot which maketh me feel safe so I joined the Dragon for what is a man if he haveth not ambition and also because the Dragon giveth me a hat which was like unto a tea cozy."

And isn't that very true, in a very real sense, for all of us? Of course, the Bible is sometimes allegorical and I don't think that St Carlos is referring to an actual hairdryer, but more the sensation of having a terrifying man breathing whisky fumes over you and shouting in your face.

So I think what St Carlos is saying in this passage is that there are many challenges for us in the world today and of course one of the major ones is doing exactly what our Lord tells us or else we might get, in the words of St Jaap The Martyr "dropped like a hot pancakesh and never heard of ever again".

So while we pray for our former parishioners who have been sent out on missionary work to St Galacticos in Madrid, and those of us closer to home who are getting a little frail, such as poor Mr Scholes who took a terrible fall recently and old Mr Giggs who has become quite befuddled and refers to himself as 'Footballer Of The Year', let's take a moment to reflect on the glory of His love and promise never, ever to even think about joining another Parish.

The collection plate will be coming around shortly and today we are taking donations for a marvellous local charity, a refuge for fallen women, very old fallen women, in fact, where they do the most splendid work giving the ladies uniforms to dress up in and toys to play with and such like. I will personally be going to the refuge later on with the collection so please let us all dig deep.

And now let us all raise our voices joyfully in the stirring hymn, 'Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer, You T***, For I Was F***ing Going For The F***ing Ball'.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
A way for Tevez to be made to shut up has been discovered.
(Please watch until end)

Haha funny. WHat I want to know is - do South American types really get on down and boogy and get into shite music like this? Or am I just being culturally insensitive.

Owen will be a success. Ronaldo says, so it must be true

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo believes Michael Owen will be a worthy successor to him as Manchester United's number seven.

Owen was signed after Ronaldo joined Real Madrid for £80m this summer.

"Michael Owen is an experienced player. He has played at the biggest club," said Ronaldo, who scored 117 goals in 290 appearances for United.

"He has everything to win at United. He is at a fantastic club and he is a great player. It was a good decision to give him the number seven."

Evil head.

I see the Eto'o story is now over:

Barcelona have confirmed they will sign the Inter striker, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, with Samuel Eto'o going in the opposite direction

Got sent this, interesting about tax

New figures have illustrated the full financial impact of the 50% tax band and fluctuating exchange rates on the summer transfer window, revealing that the cost of an overseas player to English clubs is up to 70% higher than to their Spanish contemporaries.

According to analysis by the Deloitte Sports Business Group, which compared the tax situation in the UK with those in Spain, Italy, France and Germany, the two factors were having an effect on the ability of the biggest clubs to attract the top-earning players.

The 50% tax rate will come in next April, and Deloitte said that a combination of an increase in the top rate and currency fluctuations means that many European Premier League players would see pay decrease by a third.

According to agents, most marquee signings will simply demand that clubs make up the difference so that the players receive the same net wage. In other cases, where clubs refuse to make up the difference, players are increasingly likely to opt for Spain or elsewhere in order to relieve their tax burden.

Additionally, European players are increasingly asking to be paid in euros, forcing their clubs to carry the burden of fluctuations in the exchange rate.

According to Deloitte's figures, for a Premier League club to pay a European player a net salary of €3m (£2.59m) would cost them €6.8m, taking in the new tax band. In contrast, a Spanish club would have to pay the same player €4m to deliver the same net salary.

Given Real Madrid's summer spending spree and the £80m switch of Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United to Real, the twin financial forces have contributed to the debate over whether the Premier League has been overtaken by La Liga as the preferred destination for the biggest players.

"The transfer window opened over a month ago, but Premier League clubs are yet to make significant acquisitions from overseas. Real Madrid have already spent a reported €200m on three players from other big European Leagues [Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema] but we have not yet seen a significant influx to the Premier League," said Pete Hackleton, a senior manager with the Sports Business Group at Deloitte.

"The reduced value of sterling against the euro and the proposed increase in the top rate of income tax are contributing factors to this."

The shift also favours English players moving abroad, with the advantageous tax regime widely believed to have been a factor in Jermaine Pennant's decision to choose Real Zaragoza, in Spain, in the wake of plenty of interest after being released by Liverpool.

Under Spain's favourable tax laws, temporary non-Spanish residents are taxed at 24%, with minimal social security contributions, as compared to the top rate of 43% for Spanish nationals. The Spanish Congress last month voted against abolishing the special rate.

Arsenal's manager, Arsène Wenger, has been among those who have highlighted the trend. "The new taxation system, and the collapse of sterling, means the domination of the Premier League will go," he said. "That is for sure. It will be a financial problem for all the English clubs."

But Hackleton said the strength of the Premier League's broadcasting deals and redistributive rights agreements means collectively the clubs are still in a stronger financial position than their European rivals.

"The lucrative central-broadcasting-rights deals and the relatively even revenue distribution mechanism for those broadcast payments mean the majority of English clubs can still compete for talent with their European peers," he said. "The concern is for the biggest clubs competing for the best talent, where the reduced tax rate in Spain gives the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona a significant advantage in attracting the best players in the world."

In the 2007–08 season, total Premier League revenues were €2,441m, more than €1bn ahead of total revenues for La Liga. The latest Deloitte review of football finance showed that the Premier League strengthened its position as the most lucrative in Europe during 2007-08, largely as a result of the influx of money from the first year of a new broadcasting deal.

Poor David

Quote:
David Beckham was involved in an ugly confrontation with fans at his first home game for the Los Angeles Galaxy after returning from Italy and his spell with Milan. The midfielder attempted to jump over a barrier as he left the field at half-time into a section of the crowd that had been jeering him.

The former England captain was held back by security staff, who also needed to restrain an angry fan who left his seat and rushed towards the footballer. The 34-year-old afterwards tried to explain what had happened by saying: "One of the guys was saying things that really wasn't very nice. It was stepping over the line. I said 'You need to calm down and come shake my hand' and he jumped over." Asked whether his intention was to do "a Cantona" and attack the fan, Beckham smiled and said: "No, of course not."

The man was arrested by California State Dominguez Hills police for trespassing because he left the seating area, a Home Depot Center spokeswoman said. "I know there was some turmoil in the corner but I didn't see it so I can't comment," Galaxy manager Bruce Arena said. "Obviously, there were some dissenters in the early going but I think he won over a lot of people by the end."