The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Michael Owen is on the verge of an astonishing move to Manchester United to supply some of the goals that have been lost in the wake of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez leaving Old Trafford. Owen, recently linked with Stoke City and Hull City and written off in many quarters as a has-been, was holding talks with the Premier League champions last night and will complete one of the most unexpected transfers of the summer if he passes a stringent medical examination.

Tell me I am still asleep and this is not happening. Please!!!!

Looks like it might be true. Oh my, I wasn't expecting that. If it is true this will be on big big gamble for Fergie. You never know it could work out. But it's not something that gets me particularly full of enthusiasm! sadface

I hope the deal is peanuts + bonuses based on performance.

The united redcafe is down so can't take the pulse over there right now.

Gamble sure but is it that big a gamble though?

He'll probably be used as a second choice/backup, but he's capable of getting 20 games in the season perhaps. and we know he can score. (well, he used to be able to wink ) Fergie is probably banking on him rising to a big challenge.

There have been rumours for a while now, though I think most people took it as a bit of a bullshit media thing. Fergie has always liked Owen though hasn't he? If he could keep himself fit, he might be a surprise good move for United iffy as it sounds.

You have to think this is a massive step down from Tevez.

I kind of supported Owen until this past season where he was the epitome of someone not giving a flying one about the Newcastle cause. For an experienced pro who has been made captain to put in so little effort is completely crap. Even Viduka made him look like a passenger. He also missed a few sitters during the Shearer cameo there at the end. He'll do better with better players around him, but how much better is hard to say. I think they'd be better off with Obafemi Martins even.

(ROFL LOLZ though at ManYoo fans who sneered at Ronaldo and Tevez and assumed they were going to instantly sign worldbeaters)

PS. You can have Joey Barton too!

No-one else will take Owen I guess, it saves him a bit of face going to big club, and he may even get some winners medals. he will be obviously be a passenger most of the time though.

He will also become even more unpopular with scousers if he goes there.

I strongly dislike him for his disloyalty in fleeing to Real for peanuts so he could win a trophy (we won champions league that next season).

Lots of noise about Mascherano going to Barca, I really hope we dont lose him. I think he is a really key player for us, he usually started in the away games where we did so well.