I reckon Japan would be one of the best and most interesting places to travel alone like that, the safety being a bit part in that.

My older sister came to visit last October and she went off on here own for a week adventure. Only a few words of Japanese and an adventure spirit is all she went with. Some of her stories! One day she was hungry and ended up eating "okayu" with a bunch of monks in a temple (for some bizarre reason).

• 1 month later...

I heard from a friend that in the case of the missing English teacher, the reward for the capture of the guy has been increased to 10,000,000 yen.

• 2 weeks later...

On my last trip, I was on a packed train to Shin Chitose airport. 2 large cases, bags, a backpack, push chair, wife and baby.

On arriving at the airport station, I was very concerned about getting all the luggage off and not forgetting anything.

We walked about 500m up two levels to the checkin desk. Thats when I realised I had left my backpack on the rack above my seat. It contained my camera, DVD player, phone, keys, extra cash. EVERYTHING.

My heart sank, I could feel the blood drain from my head. In a blind panic I ran back to the platform entrance. At the booth, I told the station personnel about my left bag. But the train had already departed for Sapporo. In anycase he told me to go down to the platform to see if it was there.

Before I could jump on the escalator, he called me back. I went back to the booth, his colleague held up a bag. "Is this it?"

I had never been so relieved in my life. And I'm sure they'd never seen anyone so relieved and grateful. But I could be wrong as I'm sure nunces like me leave baggage on their trains all the time. Especially the most important stuff just as they are about to get on a flight.

The train cleaner who got on after passengers alight and before other passengers board had retrieved it and handed it over to the station staff.

I can only say I was very glad it was Japan I was visiting.

A friend of mine was a coach with a baseball team visiting Japan on an exhibition tour. One of the players left an old pair of cleats that he didn't need anymore since he bought a new pair while there. The hotel where he left them sent them to the next city they were visiting, and the shoes beat him to the hotel!

We were traveling to Hiroshyma and got off the Shink and my Son realised he had left his camera in the seat, he was shattered as it had three weeks of photo's on it.

We spoke to the JR staff at the station and they phoned the train and told us the camera had already been found, I told them we were heading to Miyajima Island and could collect it when we returned two dyas later but she took the hotel details and organised the camera to be sent to my hotel, it arrived the following morning.

It arrived in a box that when we opened it, the camera was suspended in the middle with tape like it was just floating in the air, I had never seen such brilliant packing and care taken, we paid about 800yen for the delivery.

I can not praise JR Rail enough for the effort and care that went into getting my son's camera back to him.

Yes, me too.

Not many places left like this in the world, that I know of anyway. It sounds like it will be a refreshing change.

Are the signs of this changing or will it remain the place it is now?

• 2 weeks later...

There's actually been a series in one of the terrible tabloids here this week about that English girl who went over to Japan and got killed and cut up. All sounded very gruesome.

I came to Japan on my own a few years ago. I was quite wary at first, it was my first time living overseas and I knew no-one. I have had almost no strange/bad experiences at all though and the people in my town have been extremely friendly. I feel very comfortable here and would do much more than perhaps I would back home - I love living in Japan.

I think Japan is basically extremely safe, barring the occasional freak murder. Lucie Blackman was different because she was a hostess, and therefore playing with fire to some extent (not to condone what happened to that girl, but she was working in the underground world so it obviously raises the probability of something like that happening).

However, I wonder how much unreported rape goes on because there are a lot of perverts here, and women may be not report rape because:

- women here are more sexually open (sex is not a big deal)

- women here are generally oppressed and seen as 2nd class citizens by the government, colleagues etc.

- women anywhere are reluctant to report such an experience, but probably more so here where you have the chain-smoking fat oyaji types in the local koban