FEATURE: Interview with Ryoma Ohira - Working at Nozawa Onsen (Nagano)

• SnowJapan Moderator

A new interview has been put online, Interview with Ryoma Ohira - Working at Nozawa Onsen.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-ryoma-ohira-working-at-nozawa-onsen.html

Quote:
Can you tell us a bit about yourself and background.

I was born in Australia in 1988; my parents are both Japanese. My father was originally a chef but then started his own business in property development and management for Japanese investors. Unfortunately, he hates the cold so he had moved to Queensland. I live in Australia and stay in Nozawa for the snow season. I'm currently studying Architecture at UQ (Brisbane) and worked with my father for the majority of the year....

What are you doing in Nozawa?

As I'm bilingual, I'm literally chained to the front desk of the Hikage Ski area. Most of my work is administrative but I also do a lot of media work and promotions for both Japanese and English. Other things include being an interpreter for the Patrol and doing a lot of concierge type work for non-Japanese speaking tourists as the Information Centre doesn't always have English speaking staff members....

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-ryoma-ohira-working-at-nozawa-onsen.html

That was a very interesting interview.

Having been there this year for 10 days, I agree wholeheartedly with his reason for visits. We were looking for a new, relatively untouched, Japanese experience, with skiing thrown in for added bonus.

Did we get it? Too right! Didn't access the school, so cannot comment on that, but the village was brilliant! Our first night was the night of the Fire Festival, so much excitement in the town.

I heard that there were upwards of 10 busses from ShigaKogen. Don;'t know if true, but there were a lot of gaijin around!

Thanks SJ, for this insight.

Hopefully there will be more such, always interesting to read!

i enjoyed reading that.

I think they also need to make the ski schools with a weekly package. This will enable foreign guests to have the same instructor all week and also to get evalued after the week as opposed to daily evalutaions.

OI! wakaranai Who you calling a troublemaker?? wink

Seriously, though, would be interesting to know the answer (even though I am fairly sure we've not met, as I did not avail myself of the school facilities - I guess we might have seen each other on-slope, but not recognised it!)

I think the stereotype of gaijin, Aussies in particular, is "lively" rather than "troublesome".

I'm heading down to Inawashiro from the 2nd and then back to Australia. I should be back the next season though ^_^, or in April should the weather permit >_>;

Stemik: yeah. The Japanese mentality is "teach me what to do for each scenario" (like it's a formula) where as the anglos tend to be more "show me and I'll figure the rest out".

May be "MU" (non existence) or " KUU " (sky, emptiness)

The nuance is that I can say having no Kata , just say Flee-stylu smile or Kata ni hai-lanai. (it isn't considerable as a Kata, or does not enter a Kata)

But having said that, NO Kata is Kata, too. Dig?