Hi.

Just wondering if many people on here take part in any other kind of fitness training in the winter months?

I still try to get down the gym a couple of times a week for a workout, then leave the rest to the slopes.

im lucky my office is 30 minutes away by bike or skate so I can keep some fittness just by going to work.

unless you can get at it everyday though a little bit of extra training is needed if you want to stay in shape.

sorry this goes a little off the topic, but i have to vent. last year i went to the gym a few times a week not just to stay in shape for boarding, but also to use the showers bc the crappy one in my apt is totally useless during the winter. i would onsen when the gym was closed or i was lazy, but thats more expensive. so i went to the gym on sunday to get ready for the season and as i was getting my stuff together for my nice warm shower the woman next to me was like- excuse me, but you can't use shampoo in the shower. whaaaaat??? i'm not allowed to wash my hair after a workout? !?!?! that's crazy!! everytime last year i could carry my onsen kit as i paid for the training room and no one said anything. this gym is a little strange- no water is allowed in the training room, you can only swim for 50 minutes at a time, no shampoo in the showers. but it's also super cheap and close to my apt. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I hear you Nekobi! The shampoo rule is apparently to keep the homeless from showering? what good is a shower without soap? Swim caps, nazi swim staff that jump on you if you do anything wrong yet let baba chans walk across your lane as you are steaming in racing ian thorpe to the finish line etc etc. 50 mins sucks to because the wait builds up the lactic acid and is actually not a good thing to do in the middle of a workout! nuts eh! eek.gif

In my experience, you get the most stupid rules in public sports facilities.

I joined two private gyms as a member and never experienced any stupid stuff at all.

I first encountered the "everyone out the pool for ten minutes every hour rule" at a public swimming pool in Kawanishi near Osaka.

I have only come across the "no drinking rule" at the training room of a public gym in Omachi. Maybe the bureaucrats that come up with such nonsense are ex-members of some high school sports team where they have a "no drinks for first years" rule (first years get a bad deal in many club activities). They still have to run laps like everyone else, and in summers hotter than this one it's not uncommon to have kids being hospitalized due to heat exhaustion.

My only complaint about the private gyms I went to is that they were all always far too hot. If you're doing aerobic exercise for fitness on equipment with heart rate monitoring, the cooler you can keep, the harder you have to work to raise your pulse to the set level in the machine. If it is close to 30C in the gym, your pulse will climb naturally without you doing anything. In cycling mags, they always urge you to set up one or two big fans in front of your exercise bike. If you just want to sweat off weight, you should go in a sauna.

Just to add to the general whinge about gyms in this place.....you'd think that with all the old fellas standing around on the roads waving red batons, they would be able to find one male to tidy the mens change room. Is it a law in this country that mens' changes rooms must be patrolled by a Japanese grandmother on a regular basis?

Also had a pool nazi once try to tell me that swimming with a wedding ring on is dangerous and that I had to take it off before I could get in the water.

...and don't even mention tattoos!

I always shampoo after swimming. No problem at the Shibuya sports center. You can claim and tell people "I have atopic dry skin, so I have to use soap!"

My friend told me, she can't go to gym nor swimming pool because of her tattoos. But there many tattoo girls at my swimming pool, and they are not cute in swim suit.

Is swimming good fitness training for skiing?

I always say it, but I'm going to try and be as fit as possible this winter.

It's just so difficult though. After a day on the hills I'm just so hungry, then thirsty, then hungry again. There's no escaping it!