• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
I started wearing one this season and feel more confident. Especially riding through trees and doing jumps and rails.
Don't let a helmet fool you. The added protection a helmet gives you compared to your skull is very small. If you take more risks/feel more confident because you're wearing a helmet then you are likely to further add to the higher fatality rates of helmeted riders Vs unhelmeted. It's well documented.

If you wouldn't feel safe doing something without a helmet, you shouldn't do it with. The helmet only adds protection if all other variables remain the same.

userpic17245pic93e4e401c00e81.jpg

L'Avance fool face. In the pic, you can see the screw holes where the peak was attached (it fell off - I bolted it back on as it really helps on sunny days)

This has saved me much pain from whippy branches when riding in the trees, and in occasional falls and slams. But it's well hot inside. And when I go fast, it sounds like there's some lady screaming her head off behind me (trick of the wind - kewl).

K2 semi-automatic with detachable ear lids.

Good and sturdy, no chin guard or visor means big whipping in the trees. I think I get whipped more than others cause of my height. I am working on inventing a laser that will destro all minor branches within my sight line so I can have a smooth whip free ride.

I shall call it the BOB Laser cool.gif

miteyak - yeah i had actually heard that before. However, I still did the trees, jumps and the odd rail before I wore a 'mut. I just feel more comfortable knowing that if i do have a stack that my noggin' is a bit more protected.

That said, I probably do go a bit harder with a helmet than without one, but thems the breaks.

My bucket has saved many a headache. Slammed a tree last year doing endos ob at 47. Bonked pretty good. Would have been out cold if not for the lid. helmuts wont help in head on crashes or full body hits but the back slaps that are 30 of most falls are far less dangerous.

I did a similar thing Fatty. I totally misjudged the height of a massive branch of a Gum tree. I didn't duck down far enough and the front part of my helmet slammed the branch and over i went. I'm told by some mates that it looked damn funny, but it scared the hell out of me. I thought i was going to clear it for sure.

I'm definately glad that I had my helmet on then or it would have been interesting.

Got one, cant remember what it is except it's shiny and silver. They make such a difference going through trees. Everytime you hit a branch and at makes that crisp 'whack' sound you know your head is safe.

Love the gum trees too...

With a helmet, what happens to all those cool red welts from branches smacking your face?

I know I'm a complete idiot for writing this, but I feel I'm like those last hockey players that got grandfathered into not wearing helmets. I've never been seriously injured on skis, and this fact, unfortunately, comes into my mind often before pulling stuff off.

A few years ago I was in a university big air comp in New Zealand when I decided to pull a trick I'd never tried before off the huge (to me) 61 ft tabletop. Misjudged, spun wrong, and nearly nailed an advertising banner off the side of table. I went home with a bruised hip and a prize for the best crash. It wouldn't have mattered, but it was a good thing the organizers made us wear helmets for that and the skiercross...

I suppose my name is apporpriate, no?

Quote:
If you take more risks/feel more confident because you're wearing a helmet then you are likely to further add to the higher fatality rates of helmeted riders Vs unhelmeted. It's well documented.
Reminds me of when they say that low-tar cigarettes are more dangerous than regular ones, because people think they're safe and smoke lots more of them...

Do you think the analogy can be extended to those water-saver showerheads that only create a fine, unsatisfying mist no good for hairwashing or getting rid of trail mud...so that the overall effect is not people saving water, but people spending thirty-five minutes in the shower using all the hot water, instead of five quick, high-pressure minutes then doing something more valuable with the remaining thirty minutes?

Or am I ranging too far afield here...
wakaranai.gif

well, i must say that i'm not a huge risk taker, but my helmet has saved my poor noggin on numerous occasions... you know when you have a headache for a week that it would have been worse without the helmet ;\)

whatever i do, i would prolly do anyway, with or without a helmet.

Badmigs - you might be a bit off beam with the water analogy, but you're actually right in principle. Research into injuries and helmet wearing has shown that the perception of safety actually increases the risks people take and consequential injuries. The same thing happens with defensive driving courses apparently. The secret is to wear the helmet but act as if you're not. To put it another way, helmets provide, say a 20% increase in protection from impacts, but if the wearer is travelling 30% faster than he otherwise would because he feels safer in a helmet, when he crashes, the impact is 10% harder than it would be had he not been wearing a helmet.

This is all getting a little unrealistic isn't it, especially with the introduction of percentages?

Does anybody really think, "Right, I'm really going to do this gap jump / double black diamond / triple back flip because now my helmet will protect me?"

When people admit to feeling safer when wearing a helmet, that doesn't automatically mean that they also feel reckless and invulnerable. And how am I supposed to act as if my helmet is not protecting me from small branches when I ride in the trees? Without the protection, I'd still go in there, but would simply sustain far more damage than I already do...

Helmets save you from headaches, branches, etc., but, current helmets are woefully inadequate when it comes to saving lives.

Ocean aside, the very statement 'you'd have to be crazy to do that without a helmet' indicates that riders feel safer with a helmet, and do things with a helmet that they would otherwise refrain from.

As Kambei says, wear a helmet but act like you're not, and there could be benefits. Check out the links in the previous thread on this subject if you want more than just personal opinion on this subject.

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003359#000000

> the very statement 'you'd have to be crazy to do that without a helmet' indicates that riders feel safer with a helmet

Not necessarily. That sort of statement assumes that the person is crazy anyway. The issue of the helmet is just the icing on the cake, a very clear indicator that the person is indeed careless of all danger, is not prepared to take minimal steps to protect themselves, and is thus totally crazy.

There's a big danger here from too much literalism... (I think migs's point suggested something of the sort?)

Wear on, don't wear one... just don't make it mandatory... \:\)

On the helmet issue, however, having perused many a report on the issue regarding cycling, it is consistantly pointed out that the greatest life saver would be mandatory helmet wearing in cars. In fact, you'd be crazy not too! ;\)

i hit my head much more often when i started wearing a helmet - on my snowboard, on doorways on the lift... seems u need bigger whiskers (cat style) when u first hat up.

i spent a night in hospital after a bad head knock.

(although that was skate boarding, and i didnt start wearing one subsequently for that activity). but the thought of hard head bangs makes me uncomfortable. and wearing a helmet makes me more comfortable. i havent had any life saving experiences, but a couple o' knocks that make me thankful for the lid.

i think (hope) people who have had a good brain rattling appreciate the value of a little bit extra protection.