• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The yen has bounced off 133 a couple of times, but hasn't benefitted from the US Fed announcing the 0.25% rate. Conversely that seems to have been good for the pound. As things stand 1,000 yen is seven pound thirty-five.

The BOJ have said they're not going to intervene in the currency market this time.

Someone's already probably mentioned this but...

1) Japanese are the most conservative consumers... and they're also the biggest flock of sheep. When someone goes "recession!" everyone goes "oh no!" and literally stops spending. Most people here don't actually know what a recession is, we've been stressing about recession for the past year and it's only really just begun this month.

2) Interest rates have been literally nil since the last bubble broke... like 15 years ago. It's a been a big issue for a while and has affected a number of investment ideals but it's really made the country a low-risk, low-return investment opportunity.

Personally, I think when Japan truly slips into a deep recession, it'll take forever to get out of again. On the same issue, when the yen is high, all the major Japanese corporations lose a lot of money and it essentially comes back to bite us in the arse. The only thing is, nothing has changed from the early 90s when Japan put in its recovery plan.

With the case of Australia, the country relies completely on the export of raw materials. As per usual, it's the first to feel the effects of recession. A lot of social policies in the economy model results in the high-end income earners feeling the crunch while the low to mid income earners don't really feel the same pressures. I think the only thing that the average person has really noticed is the exchange rates.

I have been advised that the AUD is predicted to drop the 54 yen by Feb. I don't know much about the pound though. Personally, I am quite bitter about a lot of it really... but that's really another story.

During the ski season, I work at Nozawa Onsen so it sucks that the rates are so bad at the moment. Compared to the bubble period, the number of skiiers/boarders in Japan has dwindled to about 30% (if not less) and the resorts are relying more and more on foreign tourists. Unfortunately, we can't get enough English speaking instructors either. I've heard that one of the smaller ski resorts is cancelling to cut their losses this season. Hope things look up soon (both in snow fall and economics ;p).

Edit: I just had a mind blank mid way through so I have no idea what I wrote biggrin. Yay for 3:30 syndrome....

US interest rates at 0.25%, Japan at 0.1%. Holy free money Batman!

This downturn might be a bit different in Japan because there are far more temporary workers now who can be laid off at short notice. Its hard on the people concerned, but the flipside may be more companies staying solvent long term.

TV sales are actually up because more people plan to stay home over New Year. It also sounds like more people will be travelling within Japan than overseas, so the ski resorts may get a boost off that.

Yen testing 133 again...

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
At least you've got lots of cheap sales in the shops at home, torihada wink

Saving my readies for lift tickets. Just slapped down 4 man for 16 day tickets at Appi: so its cup noodles frm Lawson all round