I haven't sent money back but looked around a few places this morning and it was pretty much the same Mr Wiggles - nothing I saw for less than 160. Do let me know where will give me much better though, I'm planning on throwing some over.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
No offence taken. Asked a few places. Banks and the post office offered exactly the same rate. Would be most welcome to hear where I can get much better. Not so fussed, it's done now and no time to mess about.

Look at what you would have got 10 days ago, 160 is pretty good. "Its never too early to take a profit"

From BBC website today:
"Earlier on Monday the Group of Seven (G7) industrialised nations issued a statement warning that the strength of the yen was a threat to economic stability, which was taken as a threat of co-ordinated action to reduce the value of the currency.

While the yen briefly weakened, it soon climbed back towards Friday's 13-year high against the dollar.

The yen has been strengthening as a result of the end of the carry trade, in which traders borrowed the Japanese currency and used it to buy currencies with higher interest rates.

As the difference between Japanese rates and those elsewhere in the world has fallen, traders have been unwinding the carry trade, which means they have been using other currencies to buy yen, which has boosted the Japanese currency."

I just hope the Yen's topped out. I've just realised if enough ex pats in Japan start sending money back (ie selling Yen buying sterling) sterling will strengthen, so come on all you Brit SJers raid the Yen piggy banks and send it all back to Blighty biggrin .

Here's citi's buy and sell rates. According to kakaku.com, Sony Bank has a narrower spread and offers higher saving rates for foreign currencies than citi, but charges a small quarterly fee. I only know about citibank because ten years ago, it was pretty much the only place in Japan where a gaijin could get a credit card. Everywhere else would reject you six to eight weeks after your application.

FX Rates As of October 28, 2008

Currency BUY(TTS) SELL(TTB)

USD 94.6000 92.6000

AUD 57.9000 55.9000

NZD 51.8000 49.8000

GBP 145.6000 143.6000

CAD 73.5000 71.5000

CHF 81.7000 79.7000

EUR 117.2000 115.2000

HKD 12.4700 11.6700

THB 2.7800 2.6200

Again I'm sure an fx trader will have a narrower spread. Maybe check the other expat living in Japan forums for advice on a good one. You could possibly do it through E-trade Japan even, I dunno. I don't send money home because I'm married with kids and a house in Japan.

I am interested in that, but don't know where to start. I have only used the bank and post office before. My Japanese ain't perfect, but don't I need to open some account on that kakakufx site?

• 2 weeks later...

The pound is 141.6 to the yen now. Under $1.50 as well. With all the economic news, it looks like it could fall further as well.

I think the record from years ago is a shade under 130, but it didn't stay there for very long.

I cant see it getting too much lower, maybe itll go to 130 but if you send at 145 thats close enough (compared to 250 last year!).

Having said that, theres a lot of doomsayers in UK now talking about a 'depression' coming. Buy tinned foods, you cant trust the banks so withdraw your money and put it into gold etc. Scary stuff.

B It is really funny you used the D word as I had a guy warn me of this pending doom back in July and said that by Dec 2008 the world would be in a recession and by mid 2009 we would be heading for a D.

To this day he has totally predicted everything correctly.

Wish I had listened to him instead of thinking he was a bit special needs. sadface

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...