It'd be interesting to know what most newcomers to winter sports are deciding to take up - ie. skiing or snowboarding. And how they decide.

I've been skiing for ages and snowboarding the last 5 seasons (outside of Japan) and love both, and about the same level at both (maybe a little better at skiing).

i think a lot would depend on the background u come from. i place a guess that cities and areas away from snow breed boarders, whereas those born into white surrounds are likely to see skiing as numero uno activitio.

but broad generalisations can be utter rubbish when they are as baseless as mine just was.

Baseless maybe, but interesting.

I was speaking to the local sports shop assistant at the weekend and he told me that they have seen an increase in sales of skis this year on last, and a decrease in boards. I thought that was interesting, although it is probably unlikely that it means anything apart from sales of that one shop.

well, i was aked by a friend who had snowboarded all of 0 days and was starting out, why i hadn't taken up snowboarding... because "snowboarding is so much cooler...", she claimed... so anyway that would explain why some people take it up as opposed to skiing wakaranai.gif

i suppose learner snowboarders look a heck of a lot "cooler" (as far as learners can) than a learner skier in a flying wedge (snowplow). So if you want to think you look cool for the first 2 days when you're learning then snobo is for you.

Quote:
yeah but japan is trendy they dont do something cause they like it, they do it cause their friends do it or they think they look cool.
That really is an exaggeration.
It's almost the same everywhere.

I went shopping last night and was asking the shop people about this. Mixed results. But generally more snowboards being sold, but not by that much - thats the message I got.