Hey Tubby,

Unfortunately all the home made museli bars/slices are way too high in carbs for him and I. I am cooking a LOT of healthy options, but the availability of whey protein and soy flakes etc as a cooking ingredient on Australian shelves makes it necessary for me to BUY these museli bars. I am making a high protein low carb brownie today using an atkins chocolate muffin mix (soy and oat flour), and cottage cheese...hopefully that turns out OK!

Personally, as an adult I can do without the HP/LC cookies and treats - I really enjoy tins of salmon, or grilled chicken, but kids and young adults have got the inevitable sweet tooth!!

And while I know that the ingredients in museli bars are healthy and good for you....our metabolism can not cope with them at this stage. Certainly once we have repaired the metabolism, they will be reintroduced...but until then protein protein protein!

YOS - ahhhh!! I have heard of Herbalife products before - I will keep my eye out for them. Thanks!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taken from yahoooooooooooo:

8 ultimate flat-belly summer foods:

As the summer inches closer and the siren call of weekends at the beach grows louder, we have plenty of reasons to slim down.

But with all of the neighborhood barbecues, pool parties, and vacations come a slew of dubious dietary intruders — it's like the world has become one big surf shack, and we're all grabbing the large fries to go with our crispy clam strips. (And oh, we'll have the small chocolate milk shake with that, to save room for a double scoop waffle cone later. Yes, with the crushed peanut butter cups on top!) Problem is, there couldn’t be a worse time to lose control of your diet; showing a little skin is one thing, turning into a jiggle juggernaut quite another.

To combat the nutritional chaos and the extra poundage that comes with the rising mercury, we’ve chosen the eight best foods to eat every day. Beyond being packed full of disease-fighting, life-extending nutrients, these foods will also help keep your belly full, because they’re loaded with fiber and protein, the sultans of satiety.

Find a way to work these potent superfoods into your diet every day, and you’ll curb cravings before they hit, crowding out much of the junk we turn to when hunger calls. The result? Well, it could mean saving 600 calories or more a day. Couple that with 30 minutes of moderate exercise, and you can shed as many as 12 pounds in six weeks — just in time to strut your stuff on the sand!

1. Spinach

It may be green and leafy, but spinach is no nutritional wallflower. This noted muscle-builder is a rich source of plant-based omega-3s and folate, which help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and osteoporosis. Bonus: Folate also increases blood flow to the nether regions, helping to protect you against age-related sexual issues. Aim for 1 cup fresh spinach or a half cup cooked per day.

SUBSTITUTES: Kale, bok choy, romaine lettuce

FIT IT IN: Make your salads with baby spinach; add spinach to scrambled eggs; drape it over pizza; mix it with marinara sauce and then microwave for an instant dip.

2. Yogurt

Various cultures claim yogurt as their own creation, but the 2,000-year-old food’s health benefits are not disputed: Fermentation spawns hundreds of millions of reinforcements for the battalions of beneficial bacteria in your body. That helps boost your immune system, provides protection against cancer, and even does duty as a cavity-fighter. Not all yogurts are created equal, though, so make sure the label says “live and active cultures.” And watch out for high-fructose corn syrup; stealth sugars are worth avoiding in yogurt and everywhere else.

SUBSTITUTES: Kefir, cottage cheese

FIT IT IN: Yogurt topped with blueberries, walnuts, flaxseed, and honey is the ultimate breakfast — or dessert. Plain low-fat yogurt is also a perfect base for creamy salad dressings and dips.

3. Tomatoes

There are two things you need to know about tomatoes: Red are the best, because they’re packed with more of the antioxidant lycopene, and processed tomatoes are just as potent as fresh ones, because it’s easier for the body to absorb the lycopene. Studies show that a diet rich in lycopene can decrease your risk of bladder, lung, prostate, breast, skin, and stomach cancers, as well as reduce the risk of coronary artery disease. Aim for 22 mg of lycopene a day, which is about eight red cherry tomatoes or a glass of tomato juice. Plant some now for a health harvest in July and August. This Men's Health video will show you how.

SUBSTITUTES: Red watermelon, pink grapefruit, Japanese persimmon, papaya, guava

FIT IT IN: Dress sliced heirloom tomatoes with torn basil and olive oil; guzzle low-sodium V8 and gazpacho; roast cherry tomatoes and serve over grilled fish or chicken.

4. Carrots

Most red, yellow, or orange vegetables and fruits are spiked with carotenoids — fat-soluble compounds that are associated with a reduction in a wide range of cancers, as well as a reduced risk and severity of inflammatory conditions such as asthma and rheumatoid arthritis — but none of them is as easy to prepare, or have as low a caloric density, as carrots do. Aim for a half cup a day.

SUBSTITUTES: Sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow bell pepper, mango

FIT IT IN: Snack on baby carrots; grate raw carrots into salad; toss a carrot into a breakfast smoothie with frozen mango and OJ; roast carrot chunks with olive oil, salt and cumin.

5. Blueberries

Host to more antioxidants than any other North American fruit, blueberries help prevent cancer, diabetes, and age-related memory changes (hence the nickname “brain berry”). Studies show that blueberries, which are rich in fiber and vitamins A and C, also boost cardiovascular health. Aim for 1 cup fresh blueberries a day, or a half cup frozen or dried.

SUBSTITUTE: Açai, an Amazonian berry, has even more antioxidants than the blueberry. Mix 2 Tbsp. of açai powder into OJ or add 2 Tbsp of açai pulp to cereal, yogurt, or a smoothie.

FIT IT IN: Mix fresh blueberries into plain yogurt; blend with ice, yogurt, banana, and OJ for a 60-second smoothie; toss with baby spinach, red onions, goat cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette for a summer salad.

6. Black Beans

All beans are good for your heart, but none can boost your brain power like black beans. That’s because they’re full of anthocyanins, antioxidant compounds that have been shown to improve brain function. A daily half-cup serving provides 8 grams of protein and 7.5 grams of fiber, and is low in calories and free of saturated fat.

SUBSTITUTES: Peas, lentils, and pinto, kidney, fava, and lima beans

FIT IT IN: Wrap black beans in a breakfast burrito; use both black beans and kidney beans in your chili; puree 1 cup black beans with 2 Tbsp olive oil and roasted garlic for a healthy dip; add favas, limas, or peas to pasta dishes.

7. Walnuts

Richer in heart-healthy omega-3s than salmon, loaded with more anti-inflammatory polyphenols than red wine, and packing half as much muscle-building protein as chicken, the walnut just needs a cape and we could call it a superhero. Other nuts combine only one or two of these features, not all three. A serving of walnuts — about 1 ounce, or seven nuts — is good anytime, but especially as a postworkout recovery snack. Keep a can of Planters Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix in your desk drawer or glove compartment, and use them to lead you away from temptation.

SUBSTITUTES: Almonds, peanuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts

FIT IT IN: Sprinkle on top of salads; chop and add to pancake batter; mix 1 cup walnuts with a half cup dried blueberries and a quarter cup of dark chocolate chunks.

8. Oats

The original wunderkind of health food, oats garnered the FDA’s first seal of approval. They are packed with soluble fiber, which lowers the risk of heart disease. Yes, oats are loaded with carbs, but the release of those sugars is slowed by the fiber, and because oats also have 10 grams of protein per half-cup serving, they deliver steady muscle-friendly energy.

SUBSTITUTES: Quinoa, flaxseed, amaranth, pearly barley

FIT IT IN: Eat granolas and cereals that have a fiber content of at least 5 grams per serving; sprinkle 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed on cereals, salads, and yogurt; sub quinoa in for brown rice.

Want to shed a few extra pounds in record time? Commit to knocking off 200 calories of liquids from your diet this summer. (After all, the average American sips more than 400 calories a day!) Start by swapping out these egregious offenders we’ve dubbed the 20 unhealthiest drinks in America. You'll be blown away.

Ahhh... the Super8 Superfoods list.

Honestly, it is quicker to whip a few of these out of the fridge and knock up lunch than to drive to Macca's for a McHeart Attack!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Tried doing this myself - went down from 100kgs to 95kgs in the space of two months - nothing more than about a lb a week maybe 1.5lbs - using meat and veg tactic - but trouble is I love food too much and am much happier at a higher weight - but even now people say I carry the weight very well and most people never guess am 97kgs now.

Rob - the trick is to make it sustainable.

Mon - Fri stick to the meat and veg, and 3 protein snacks to ensure you don't go more than 3 waking hours without protein.
Saturday do whatever you like. Party on. Sink some beers. Have the carbs.
Sunday strip back to protein only, every 3 hours. That will rid you of the carbs from Saturday.

Include things like the protein bars, and cookies - be creative - then you wont get bored.

Ok - I will try this after I come back from the UK - my god the toilets are gonna smell wink

I used to work for Powerbar for a long time doing marketing for them. Have been eating their products since 1986(?) when they first came out. Yes, a bit dry, but they have gotten much better over the years! I quite like the HarvestBars which are like a granolaesque snack. Cliff bars are also quite good. Very good for snacks, or for serious training.

You really like meat don't you?

Anyone tried those Slim Fast shakes?

I had one once, it was actually quite a decent taste. Anything chocolate-y is better than carrots thats for sure.

NO NO NO NO NO - shakes are a problem!

I have done the shakes thing, and it just ends up reducing your metobolism more in the long run.

Eating small meals often and having 2-3hourly 'hits' of protein is the way to maintain a high metabolism and burn the fat. There are some high protein and low carb shakes out there that can be used for one of the 6 meals in a day - but any programme that asks you to replace a MAIN MEAL with a shake to lose weight .....RUN!

Yes YOS - I agree that they can be very useful in combination - especially those that are designed to be a protein shake - or for an athlete high in protein AND carb.

There are some high protein and low carb shakes out there that can be used for one of the 6 meals in a day

My friends daughter is a wheelchair track athlete going to beijing and she need to have the high protein ANS carb shakes and bars after every training session in addition to her regular meals. For those of us trying to shed weight it should be the high protein but LOW carb shakes in addition to regular meals.

- but any programme that asks you to replace a MAIN MEAL with a shake to lose weight .....RUN!

My problem is with the programmes that want you to replace a meal with a shake - you can end up having nothing but 3 shakes a day....and what happens when you go abck to eating food - back the weight comes, and then some.

Personally I use a low carb chocolate flavoured shake mixed up with water (as directed) then frothed with my cappuccino steamer to make a nice hot chocolate before bed about 50% of the time (being winter here it is quite welcome). They certainly can be good - but the meal replacement thing....not a long term solution!