It is all relative of course. A 'bad' season in Niseko like this one still had snowfall amounts that most resorts in the world would be envious of. Still this is not a high resort and once the normal winter weather pattern breaks down temperatures quickly return to what is more normal for this latitude (only around 42 Nth). Unfortunately this year the winter patterns broke down a good few weeks ahead of normal.

I suspect the strong La Nina phase we are in may have influenced things considerably. During La Nina periods the dominant Aluetian Low moves further east away from Kamchatka towards Alaska. This affects things like the jetstream which helps direct the passage of snow producing systems across Japan. It does direct a lot more systems into Nth America though, hence they've had a great season over there.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had an awesome season and I'm heading out again on Thursday.

In Kanagawa its nice and toasty, today was a lovely 20 degrees so I spent the afternoon with some al fresco beers and have got the red-head burn to show for it!! Doh!!

if conditions remain this way how long do you think the resorts will remained open? keeping my fingers crossed as i'm due in niseko in less than 2 weeks.

btw, here is southern california we had a great winter. we get the tail end of the same systems you mentioned, mammoth mountain will likely stayed opened into early may i believe. big bear, which is 1.5 h drive east of LA is already getting muddy though.

You should still be OK. It might be slushy/icy down low, but there will still be snow up top (albeit hard).

BTW, there is a prediction for some light snowfall in Hokkaido on Thurdsay (probably evening) and Tohoku on Saturday. A little surface refresh is better than nothing!

They're now forecasting a little snow to move in overnight tonight. We just need 9cm in Kutchan to avoid having the worst March snowfall on record. Here's hoping!

I had a great day on the hill yesterday. Not a cloud in the sky. It is still top to bottom everywhere and no one on the hill. Parks are going off. This season is still going strong. I had my best powder day ever a few weeks ago and quite happy to finish my powder year with that one.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
They're now forecasting a little snow to move in overnight tonight.

Did you get it? Just rain in Sapporo, but I heard Rusutsu got light flurries all afternoon into last night yesterday.

Nope we didn't get it. May have been a little sleet/snow mix overnight but just rain down low this morning. Probably a bit of fresh up higher though.

I was at Ogna Snowpal in Gunma yesterday, snow was sugary top to bottom, but I had a fantastic day out. The place was deserted, nice wide open slopes and a few ramps to practice my jump skills (Its now at 2 Japan Times, Ewok ;\) )

The sun was shining, up top there was still plenty of snow to make a nice white shimmer against the deep blue of the cloudless sky!!

\:\)

Saturday 29 March 2008

Snow on the Steppes = snow on the steps.

Siberia's kiss has returned.

Albeit a confectioner's sugar dusting in the village this morning. But it's snowing and it's considerably colder and drier than yesterday.

Snowing lightly as I write.

A false dawn or you ain't seen nothing yet?

More at 11...

Rain or "immediately melting snow" this morning in Sapporo. Looks like the Nihonkai side (West) got a slightly heavier dusting. Yesterday definitely felt colder than earlier in the week. Hope more comes for the rest of the weekend!