Do you enjoy being a gaijin in Japan?

When you live here, does it get tiring to be looked at and the centre of attention (at times) and asked those same gaijin questions all the time?

I can imagine it getting very tired and even annoying after the novelty wears off.

I'm always reminding myself to be patient. I often find myself avoiding situations due to the predicted dialogue. I try not to do that when I aknowledge that I am... because it will never stop. shoganai.

Yes patience is what you need.

I often find myself holding back and trying to hide a smirk or grimace when we go down a predictable path of conversation.

But I don't like being the centre of attention either.

I've never been told 'no gaijin'. No that's not true. I was told that once in a "muryou annai center" in Sapporo. But other than that, I've never been told 'No gaijin'. If you're a native English speaker, and better still, white, then being a gaijin is pretty cushy. Some even take advantage.

Its funny - I kinda get ingonored now which is great.

Black hair and black eyes - as the Japanese would describe themselves - have actuall been asked if I have any Japanese heritage - but I don't look remotely Japanese at all.

Some of my friends - female or different hair colour - still get looked and pointed at but me nothing.

I feel left out now. I wanna be treated like a zoo animal.

I try to not think about it, but get uncomfortable at times when I just want to blend in but don't. It's part of living here though, so live with it. I was more outgoing in that respect when I first came here I suppose.

Ballad of a Gaijin

(Sung to the tune of Sting’s

“Englishman in

New York”)

I don’t make coffee or make tea my dear.

I like to boast, I’m full of pride.

And you can see I eat my ramen with a fork.

I’m Charisma Man (not a Dork!)

See girls gawking down the avenue.

Lots of J-girls at my side.

I must be making lots of ‘business for the Stork’.

I’m an alien, I’m a regal alien.

Back in my hometown in the northwest,

I was another average guy.

Now I’m the man with really good looks and a smile.

A whole new self, no matter what they say!

Modesty, propriety or kakkoi notoriety?

Who would end up as the lonely one?

Mental health, sobriety are rare in this society.

At night the Snack lamp’s brighter than the sun.

Takes more than chugging beer to make a man.

Takes more than just licentious fun.

Confront your own worries, destroy them when you can.

A gentleman won’t stalk for “Nampa runs”.

Back in my hometown in the northwest,

I was another average guy.

Now I’m the man with really good looks and a smile.

A whole new self, no matter what they say!

Yeah, it gets a wee bit on top of you getting stared at a lot. BUT the attention from J-girls does make up for it. Playing the Gaijin card in certain situations can be beneficial but of course if you wanna live here then you should try to "live as the natives".

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
What does that mean triptaka?

It means that life is pretty tough for most Japanese. The trade off for being part of "the tribe," is a swamp of societal rules and obligations that the Japanese live by. Exam hell, voluntary unpaid OT, not being able to confront old gits that don't know what they're talking about.

Gaijins' woes are relatively minor and you can always leave if you don't like it.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Yeah, it gets a wee bit on top of you getting stared at a lot. BUT the attention from J-girls does make up for it. Playing the Gaijin card in certain situations can be beneficial but of course if you wanna live here then you should try to "live as the natives".

Funnily enough, I've never had the charisma man thing, excpet from the girls I'm least interested in.

As a temp. visitor to Japan for the 1st time soonish, I'm lookin' forward to it.

Will be there for the snowriding above all else of course, but at the bars, restaurants & shops whilst not skiing I will be checking out the vibe of the place mightily.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
When you live here, does it get tiring to be looked at and the centre of attention (at times) and asked those same gaijin questions all the time?

I can imagine it getting very tired and even annoying after the novelty wears off.

Yeah, been here too long that if another person asks me if I can use chopsticks theyre going to be shoved up that persons @ss ;\) Or, after just saying good morning somebody compliments you on how good your Japanese is? WTF? crazy.gif

I dont feel like a gaijin anymore, but certainly not a Japanese. Anybody else feel that way too? Kinda in limbo?