Japanese Proficiency Test

What I found was passing 2kyu, I started to use it at work and then I can learn without effort - words just absorb as you hear them so often, and you start to remember occasional words you have to look up as you use them often.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I just wonder how any of you find or justify the time to put the study in. It's very hard here in Niseko as we can really easily get by without ever speaking Japanese. I actually took time off work last year to do a course in Sapporo. 12 months later and I've forgotten most of it because I so rarely use it. Hard to motivate myself to learn it when I virtually never use it.

get to a bar and talk to the pretty girls....just make sure the wife stays at home shifty

I have found that one of the main motivators for guys here to learn the lingo is so they can pick up chicks which is of course one of the main reasons they came to Japan in the first place. Ahh the land of charisma man!

And of course it's probably one of the main reasons I have yet to learn the lingo, I'd already found my chick and she's not Japanese...

Originally Posted By: Zer0star
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I did 8 through 5, then stopped, or gave up maybe eyes

level 5!?!

nice!

want to hit this after i get the jlpt out of the way.

its a helluvalot harder than JLPT thats for sure, cuz you have to write each stroke over and over to show you know how to write it. Some people may not know, but if a Kanji has 15 strokes, youd have to write it 15 times to show you know 1-15...PITA!! Pain in the ass!!
Originally Posted By: Zer0star
I did 8 through 5, then stopped, or gave up maybe eyes

level 5!?!

nice!

want to hit this after i get the jlpt out of the way.

its a helluvalot harder than JLPT thats for sure, cuz you have to write each stroke over and over to show you know how to write it. Some people may not know, but if a Kanji has 15 strokes, youd have to write it 15 times to show you know 1-15...PITA!! Pain in the ass!!

Each stroke is in sequence. Get that wrong, then you've written it worng. It's quite logical really.

True Kanji is difficult but so many of them have radicals such as water水 person人 heart心 in them that once you can confidently do those in the right order and position, Kanji isn't so bad.

怒る okoru used to hate that one even though now it's an easy 10 stroke kanji, just because the parts of it are easy to remember. Now å· screws me up due to getting the balance right.

Cursive? Don't intend to or have any wish to start that.

Yeah, I used that and visual keys to remember Kanji.

When I went back to Japan I only knew 10 or 20 .

1056 or something you should know by form 6 (prep school)

It was hell ..

I never got to learn Kakijyun (correct strokes)

Did you know left å·¦ and right å³ has different strokes? That's mad !

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Looking at okoru in detail, it is quite a humourous one. I miss that kind of discover process you get when learning kanji.

...but not enough to start studying it again smile

yep 女 å 心 is how I remember it except on han which doesn't have the left part. The woman's opposite of her heart is a total of angry.î«…