Going snowboarding in Japan? Prepare to be fingerprinted...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: fish&chips
There was a "Special Report" on the national news just before about foreigners being responsible for all crime in Japan. And getting worse! Or something like that. It lasted about 10 minutes. The reporters looked very concerned.

No wonder, do you know how many foreigners there are in Japan? ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Gary
This is gonna work flawlessly isnt it? Well, let me tell you about how the Japanese handled my bike getting stolen the other weekend. I went to the Koban to tell them it had gone, and they came and spent 15 minutes measuring exactly where I told them it was - even though I told them I couldnt remember the exact spot. Then it was to the Koban, to fill out a form...simple yeah? More simple even, than getting your fingerprints and photos done at immigration....we filled out the form, they checked my gaijin card and got me to write my name on the form. The young police man filled out what had happened, etc. Then, oh my god, the foreigner cant write Kanji!! He has to write his address and profession! What shall we do?! Cue much sucking through teeth...I tell them, I can recognise a lot of Kanji, and Id probably be able to read and copy what they wrote. So the guy writes out my address and profession and after establishing that I could read what he'd wrote, he asks me to copy it into the miniscule place on the form. OK Great! Done!....Chotto Matte! You wrote your name, first name then family name, but on your gaijin card its the other way around! Mo ichi do onegaishimasu! So we do it all again, but as Id had a few beers, I started writing my name the wrong way round again, I corrected it, but of course, no good! Mo ichi do.... so we do it again, my Kanji is getting quite neat by now, even inside the box smaller than a postage stamp. So we get it all done, it looks perfect! Great! All that remains is for the policeman to put his stamp on it.... which he does, but horror of horrors! It doesnt quite stamp perfectly! Oh my god! Much sucking of teeth, but the young policeman cant make a decision...checks with the boss.... Mo ichi do! So we do it all again. After 2.5 hours, at 2 am, I can finally go home... on foot in the rain! Many apologies from the policeman - it was probably stolen by a Chinese, he informed me, and Ive been informed the same 3 times since by each different Japanese person Ive told. Of course, it couldnt possibly be a Japanese person that did it!
This fingerprinting and photos malarky will do nothing to prevent terrorism in Japan, no doubt cause long delays and inconvenience visitors to the country, together with many people who have made a long-term commitment to this country and will only serve to re-enforce the aforementioned prejudices that many Japanese continue to hold against foreigners.

sorry about that Gary, I'll put your bike back tommorrow. Couldn't resist it, it was in my genes.
 Originally Posted By: snowbender
That would be scandalous

Wouldn't it be nice, but I really doubt it .
Australia wouldn't be able to get away with anything like that. Japan have been pretty good to Aussies coming here... offering them 18 mths instead of te 12 months working holiday visa (because so many Japanese go to OZ for WH)
If the aussie govt did decide to FP japanese people (because of the dangerous OAM group wouldn't that be a laugh

*most Japanese people I talk to are opposed to the new fingerprinting laws...

Good news for all resident foreigners who use Narita. If you pre-register your fingerprints and photo, you can join a queue that might even be faster than the Japanese queue. There was a letter in the Japan Times yesterday. Here's the letter:

By BARRY DUELL

Kawagoe, Saitama

In his Nov. 22 letter, "Half-baked antiterror measure," Francisco Menendez writes that "I would be more than glad to offer my biometric data as means of identification" if all Japanese nationals are required to be fingerprinted as well. Menendez will be interested to know that I visited the Tokyo Immigration Office (last week) to register my biometric data in order to use the automatic immigration gate at Narita -- and there were Japanese in line, too.

Anyone, foreign or Japanese national, who registers two fingerprints and a facial photo can depart and enter Japan using an automatic gate at Narita (foreigners need a valid e-entry permit). This hopefully solves the obvious problem of how to get a family with mixed nationalities smoothly through immigration. An immigration official told me that such a family that is pre-registered can stand in the same line for using the automatic gates, one for Japanese nationals and the other for foreigners.

At the gate, we first scan the bar code on our passport, then we enter a private booth to verify that our fingerprints are the same as those registered for that passport. Japanese are registering their biometric data for the convenience of going through immigration more quickly. We can go through the regular line instead if it looks quicker than the automatic gate.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Domo - we can't pre-register. We are touro's.

I wonder if you have someone travelling on business regularly if they can pre-register. A friend is coming in an out of Niseko every few months....

It depends what visa your friend is on (work, student, spousal, permanent visa, not tourist). At the end of the day, those people have been approved by immigration. I guess there is the possibility they could convert to terrorism while living in Japan.